• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2020 7:48 pm
[OP]
Dec 15, 2008
606 posts
41 upvotes
Burnaby, BC

Dishwasher recommendation

Looking for a basic full-sized built-in dishwasher under $500.

Whirlpool WDF540PADM seem to fit the bill for occasional use a couple times a week. Anyone purchased this particular model recently? They're same price everywhere Homedepot, Lowes, Bestbuy, Costco. I need installation assistance & haul away.

https://www.costco.ca/whirlpool-24-in.- ... 70032.html

I think it makes sense to get this from Costco for their return policy, 2 year warranty and executive member points?
Anyone seen this go on sale between $350 - 400? I'm debating to wait it out.
32 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5641 posts
1409 upvotes
if youre budget is $500 buy the cheapest Bosch

Costco will not install or haul away for now.
Jun 23, 2019
354 posts
189 upvotes
I don't have experience with that exact model, but Whirpool makes quality stuff, stay away from LG or Samsung.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15863 posts
13086 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Good advice here so far

Costco only carries a few models
But most of them are quality / highly rated

If you can watch for a Bosch on sale with them

Extra costs with all Retailers are typically
Hose Kit - Delivery - Installation - Haul Away
Those expenses can really add up
($ 200 - $ 300 depending on WHERE you live, and which ones you need )

My go to list of DWs are ... Miele - Bosch - Maytag - and Whirlpool
(basically same Co as Maytag ... they also own Kitchenaid )
Stay away from LG & Samsung
And have also heard bad things about GE DWs

DWs last a long time when you buy a well built one
And they can be amazing appliances that do make life easier
So some folks buy the best they can afford
Lol, and take it with them if they move
Finding it easy to fill the hole in the counter with a cheap $ 200 / $ 300 model
For the incoming owner
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6071 posts
2682 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Bosch has sold the cheapest (Ascenta?) model at the price point or close to in the past. As recently as last year at Lowe's. I believe they have a plastic tub but so does any cheap DW.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Apr 8, 2013
126 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
We have a base model Whirlpool dishwasher recommended by Consumer reports that we purchased 4 years ago (less than $500).

No issues thus far and we use it a dozen times a week - it's a very good appliance.
May 21, 2015
906 posts
436 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
I bought one last year at Lowes, with the 25% rebate it came in just over $500 iirc. Good dea.. THe bottom of the Ascenta line is plastic, all the sides and top are stainless.. It really doesn't affect anything. The Ascenta models albeit the lowest priced Bosch model was also the top rated model of all, not just Bosch, but all makes and models.

thriftshopper wrote: Bosch has sold the cheapest (Ascenta?) model at the price point or close to in the past. As recently as last year at Lowe's. I believe they have a plastic tub but so does any cheap DW.
Jan 20, 2007
128 posts
16 upvotes
Coquitlam
Beneful1 wrote: I bought one last year at Lowes, with the 25% rebate it came in just over $500 iirc. Good dea.. THe bottom of the Ascenta line is plastic, all the sides and top are stainless.. It really doesn't affect anything. The Ascenta models albeit the lowest priced Bosch model was also the top rated model of all, not just Bosch, but all makes and models.
What time of year did Lowe’s have the 25% rebate? Son is looking to replace his DW soon.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1378 posts
731 upvotes
Toronto
Another recommendation for Bosch. Bought one from Sears on sale about 6 years ago. Pretty quiet and does a great job cleaning.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
4384 posts
837 upvotes
Newbury, ON
I've had whirlpool for many years, i'm on my second after 15 years on the first one. I would not say they are amazing - but they are good enough and most of the common failure points (leaky hoses, motor failures) I could easily fix myself because parts and videos are readily available.
Dec 27, 2017
312 posts
127 upvotes
Our Bosch 500-series has been going strong for 5 years with daily use.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15863 posts
13086 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
jeall wrote: What time of year did Lowe’s have the 25% rebate? Son is looking to replace his DW soon.
Believe the 25% Rebate being talked about here is the Ontario Energy Rebate
As I see @Beneful1 lists his location as Sarnia in his RFD Profile

It’s talked about in this RFD Thread = ontario-energy-savings-rebate-25-off-ap ... 1-2309514/

It originally was supposed to run up to March 31, 2020

But with Covid 19, some Retailers are extending the benefit as they still have funds they can access

For anyone living in Ontario ... they still might be able to take advantage
Just be sure & read the last few pages of the thread I linked to above for more info
And of course, ASK the Retailer
Cuz many have taken the ads down off their websites

Don’t ask ... and you might not get
Do ask ... and you may get
Last edited by PointsHubby on Apr 20th, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10598 posts
12788 upvotes
Vancouver
I always check Consumer Reports when buying major appliances. I last bought a dishwasher 7 years ago based on what they recommended (a Kenmore), and have been happy with it.
OP I see you're in Vancouver; your property taxes are already paying for an online subscription to CR at the public library.
Go here first and log in: http://www.vpl.ca/digital-library/consumer-reports
Then go here, CR recommended dishwashers for $500 or less: https://www.consumerreports.org/dishwas ... s-or-less/
[OP]
Dec 15, 2008
606 posts
41 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Thanks for all the comments. I'm hearing Bosch and Whirlpool recommendations so far.

Anyone know what time of the year this Bosch might go on sale at Costco? Is it reasonable to expect a drop to $699?

$845 Bosch 100 Series Stainless-steel 24 in. Bar Handle Dishwasher with Third Rack

$795 Whirlpool 24 in. Pocket Handle Dishwasher with TotalCoverage Spray Arm
Oct 3, 2017
888 posts
725 upvotes
I had a Maytag /Whirlpool for 6 years and it cost me $600 to $800 in parts over that time.

Always the same part, the touchpad.

Finally had enough and got a Bosch and it's only been 3 or 4 months but so far I like it better in every way.

Got mine from Leon's and the transaction went very smoothly.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3089 posts
3019 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I just did a ton of research because me and the GF use our dishwasher daily, and basically just go Bosch or if you're balling go Miele. Don't bother with anything else, especially on the cheaper side.

Wanted to get the 800 series Bosch but GF veto'd spending that much on a dishwasher, so went with the 500 series. With the Ontario 25% rebate it was a great price. I was originally shopping for the 100 series but liked the additional features that the 500/800 had to offer. You can find lots of comparison videos online. The only negative thing I have to say is that I think the third rack is useless and a waste of space, but otherwise I love the dishwasher. It's so quiet I turn it on before bed and I don't hear it, my old Samsung I had to run when we were watching or going out because it was so noisy.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2143 posts
532 upvotes
Ottawa
i am looking for a dishwasher too. Does costco offer installation as a cost?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4126 posts
701 upvotes
Toronto
Ecsta wrote: I just did a ton of research because me and the GF use our dishwasher daily, and basically just go Bosch or if you're balling go Miele. Don't bother with anything else, especially on the cheaper side.

Wanted to get the 800 series Bosch but GF veto'd spending that much on a dishwasher, so went with the 500 series. With the Ontario 25% rebate it was a great price.
I'm in the market for a new dishwasher. My three-year-old Whirlpool low end model just failed (motor pump burnt out, cost to replace would be comparable to the price of a new dishwahser).

I am leaning toward Bosch just so I don't have to keep throwing good money after bad.

How does one access the 25% rebate? Does the retailer apply this when you buy, or is it a separate application or something?
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3089 posts
3019 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
JHW wrote: I'm in the market for a new dishwasher. My three-year-old Whirlpool low end model just failed (motor pump burnt out, cost to replace would be comparable to the price of a new dishwahser).

I am leaning toward Bosch just so I don't have to keep throwing good money after bad.

How does one access the 25% rebate? Does the retailer apply this when you buy, or is it a separate application or something?
It's direct from the store you buy it at, there's a giant rfd thread you can read ontario-energy-savings-rebate-25-off-ap ... 1-2309514/ but basically each store gets a set amount they can offer and once they finish its done. Costco finished it quickly, I think Bestbuy's allocation might be done but I don't remember.

Everything I read online basically said go Bosch. I'm very happy with mine, my only kinda regret is that I didn't spend the extra $300ish and just get the top of the line 800 with the auto door opening at the end of the cycle haha.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
5025 posts
1354 upvotes
Ecsta wrote: Everything I read online basically said go Bosch. I'm very happy with mine, my only kinda regret is that I didn't spend the extra $300ish and just get the top of the line 800 with the auto door opening at the end of the cycle haha.
Actually you would have had to downgrade, only some 500 series models offer that...strangely enough.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky