• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2020 9:22 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1550 posts
1118 upvotes
GTA West
PointsHubby wrote: DW RECOMMENDATION = Buy the best you can afford for your available dollars !!!

That’s the key ... top brands tend to be:

Miele
Bosch
Maytag
Whirlpool

In many cases it’s better to buy a cheaper less featured top brand, than a expensive lower brand with more features

Suggest you do some reading / research

Look at Consumers Reports for example (an independent review service vs Reviews you’ll find on Manufacturers website )

Sears Canada used to be the best place to buy based on Pricing, Sales Service, Delivery, Installation, Haul Away, Warranty ... and After Care / Repairs
Sadly they are no more
These days ... Costco comes the closest
Lowes isn’t far behind
Or some Mom & Pop Furniture & Appliance Stores ... or the smaller local stores / chains

If you can hold off ...
Autumn is the best time to buy most appliances ... as the NEW models come out
And stores will have featured sales on those
As well as clear out sales on last years models

Waiting all the way to Black Friday, May be particularly worthwhile
(Personally we bought a range at that time last year from Lowe’s ... and saved / got back hundreds of dollars ... by being able to buy it on sale, and take advantage also of FREE Delivery, FREE Haul Away ... plus getting cash back on CC, and Bonus Miles from AirMiles Promotion )
Bosch racks up the top scores in Consumers Reports, and Miele is a close second but at twice the price of the top-rated Bosch Ascenta. I have had that Bosch model for 8 trouble free years now and we are very happy with it. Its main quirk, being energy efficient, is that it has trouble drying plastic - the trick is to crack the door open at the end of the cycle and let the steam out.

The rack configuration in our Bosch could be better, I would look among the Bosch and Miele options for what suits you best.

I'm not sure why you added Maytag, it is now a tired old brand with a poor reliability rating and a low satisfaction rating per Consumer Reports?

And I find there are good deals throughout the year. I think the trick is to know the prices and jump on a deal when you see it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8641 posts
3117 upvotes
Toronto
Miele.

We had a Jenn-Aire (Maytag) for 22 years. Worked well, but was getting old and we thought it's getting harder to clean thoroughly. So we bought a $500 Bosch on sale. Worked fine for almost 2 years then broke. Could try to fix it, but there was a Miele special on, so we went for it. It's more expensive, but it works extremely well, and very quiet.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3486 posts
645 upvotes
Happy with my bosch 300 series.

It's maybe 44-46 decibels which is far quieter than my old condo builder grade dishwasher which I used to have to set on timer to run while I was sleeping bc it was too loud to run while I was awake. Can run the Bosch while the baby is sleeping in the adjacent living room.

Have no issues with the cleaning quality tho my wife and I scrape pretty well. And I love the third rack for cutlery - It gives flexibility for large items on the bottom rack AND it makes it a cinch to unload and put away the cutlery when it's done (bc I have OCD and put the forks on one area, spoons in another etc...)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32409 posts
6276 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Dealmaker1945 wrote: the trick is to crack the door open at the end of the cycle and let the steam out.
The higher end Miele does this automatically after every wash, the higher end units also have a built in water softener and you need to buy softening salt

I didn’t get one, but regret it. The wash cycle usually takes 2 hours and 20 minutes and I like to crack the door open to let the steam out. Everyone should do this, just like leaving your washing machine door open after a load of laundry
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1550 posts
1118 upvotes
GTA West
If you are budget minded, the Bosch SHX3AR75UC sits on top of the Consumers Reports ratings. You can dispute how they assess these ratings and how they assign points to different performance attributes. But we have found it to hit a sweet spot at $795 normally, less on sale. We have had this one for 8 years and they continue to produce this model. The only thing I would improve is the rack layout and to add a light to tell you it is running.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2381 posts
704 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Miele
Bosch
Maytag
Whirlpool
Would this also apply for gas ranges? I know Miele is good for those, but super expensive...
Jun 18, 2015
31 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Just got the Bosch 500 series with AutoAir (it opens the door when cycle is done). I wanted the recessed handle, so 500 or 800 series. Found that Costco had the 800 a few weeks ago but now they don't have the rebate anymore (nor HD). Ended up getting it at Rona with free delivery and haul away (installation would be 159). Waiting for it to be delivered.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4477 posts
1802 upvotes
Ottawa
Gee wrote: If you want the best, buy Miele.

If you don’t want to spend that much, buy a Bosch

Don’t buy Samsung .... anything
This. The thread could have ended with this post.

OP: good dishwashers should perform well without too many issues for 10 years or 10,000 cycles. After that, they're on borrowed time. It's not the electronics that go but it's gaskets, o-rings, soap dispensers, etc. Issues will mount over time and are definitely use-dependant. Our current Miele is in its 10th year and I am waiting for their sale where they offer a free 10 year warranty and I will swap ours out preventatively as this one has done yeoman service. Our previous (made in Germany) Bosch died a painful, leaking death just one month shy of its 10th anniversary but, prior to that it performed extremely well and was quiet. Between the two, I would agree that Miele are better built but Bosch is available more widely and more price competitive - you get a lot of quality for the buck with Bosch.

A good Miele will set you back $2000; a decent Bosch can be had for under $1500; and there are certainly cheaper options - Bosch 300 series is about as low as I would personally recommend and they can be had for $1000.
Nov 13, 2014
15 posts
16 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
I’ve had both recently...honestly for the price the bosh is wonderful. I truly see no differences between the miele to the bosh. Both are whisper quiet, have the settings to do crystal, pots and a quick setting. The Miele was more expensive and despite what the sales person said, it truly doesn’t hold as much as the bosh. It is smaller. Also, I find the Miele plastic after 6 months has started to turn a tinge of yellow/orange. It’s not mould and the salt is used. I called they said ‘normal’ whereas my bosh never had that.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14261 posts
11468 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
vodka wrote: Would this also apply for gas ranges? I know Miele is good for those, but super expensive...
Different appliance altogether.

You can GOOGLE for different Reviews / POV ... or you can look at Consumer Reports for their recommendations on Gas Ranges.

There are literally 2 lists ... one for semi-pro / pro models, and another for everyday cooks.

We don’t personally have a gas range ... but if we did, I think I’d be leaning towards a semi pro version if I had that kind of bucks to spend (Wolf, BlueStar etc ) in which case I’d probably go with a dual fuel model as well.

Lol, but this is a “Lottery List” item ... so ain’t happening anytime soon
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1550 posts
1118 upvotes
GTA West
CaptSmethwick wrote: This. The thread could have ended with this post.

OP: good dishwashers should perform well without too many issues for 10 years or 10,000 cycles. After that, they're on borrowed time. It's not the electronics that go but it's gaskets, o-rings, soap dispensers, etc. Issues will mount over time and are definitely use-dependant. Our current Miele is in its 10th year and I am waiting for their sale where they offer a free 10 year warranty and I will swap ours out preventatively as this one has done yeoman service. Our previous (made in Germany) Bosch died a painful, leaking death just one month shy of its 10th anniversary but, prior to that it performed extremely well and was quiet. Between the two, I would agree that Miele are better built but Bosch is available more widely and more price competitive - you get a lot of quality for the buck with Bosch.

A good Miele will set you back $2000; a decent Bosch can be had for under $1500; and there are certainly cheaper options - Bosch 300 series is about as low as I would personally recommend and they can be had for $1000.
It's easy to get the 300 series under $700.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14261 posts
11468 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
turtler wrote: Thanks for googling Bosch dishwashers!!

Wondering what stores are selling them for under $700.
Maybe I can help out ... as @Dealmaker1945 hasnt come back

The GOOGLE will show you an assortment ... Of Bosch DWs (pics at top of Search Results)
It usually lists the like of Rona, Lowe’s, Home Depot, Best Buy, Costco etc

The prices listed will be BEFORE the Canada / Ontario Energy Savings Rebate of 25%
Which will be applied at check out by any Retailers who still have Rebate Monies available
(Looks like Rona does = https://www.rona.ca/en/energysavings )

This Program was originally set to end March 31st ... but due to Covid the Govt has extended it until September 30th

Good deal if you live in Ontario

Many have used this 25% discount to replace older appliances
Or to upgrade ... to something better for the same money