Entertainment

Disney announces new Star Wars trilogy 2022 -- possible delay as GOT duo departs

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2019 3:07 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
13022 posts
4782 upvotes
Toronto

Disney announces new Star Wars trilogy 2022 -- possible delay as GOT duo departs

After Rise of Skywalker is released this year, Disney will take a bit of a breather for the franchise but will return with a space fantasy holiday lock alternating Avatar with Star Wars

December 17, 2021 - Avatar 2

December 16, 2022 - Untitled Star Wars

December 22, 2023 - Avatar 3

December 20, 2024 - Untitled Star Wars

December 19, 2025 - Avatar 4

December 18, 2026 - Untitled Star Wars

December 17, 2027 - Avatar 5

https://io9.gizmodo.com/3-new-star-wars ... 1834584244
Last edited by jenviea on Oct 29th, 2019 4:13 am, edited 6 times in total.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
2905 posts
792 upvotes
Looking forward to more Star Wars, but I couldn't care less for Avatar. Didn't like the first one to begin with.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
4625 posts
1026 upvotes
Toronto
I'm so turned off. Disney owns everything.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2014
1028 posts
304 upvotes
Regina, SK
Regardless of anybody's opinion regarding Avatar, keep in mind these sequels were planned and in development with James Cameron and Fox before Disney even made an offer to buy Fox. Its not like Disney buying Star Wars and starting to make movies.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9966 posts
1967 upvotes
Victoria
I liked Avatar... It was like a western in space except the locals won.

I hope the new star wars flicks take place in the far past or future. Would love to see it take place in a galaxy teaming with Jedi,
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2251 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
I read the title as star wars + avatar, as in, crossover. Was wondering how they were going to spin that one.
zod wrote: I liked Avatar... It was like a western in space except the locals won.
Yep. If only the main character wasn't such a traitorous jerk the movie would have been pretty good.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3966 posts
1161 upvotes
BYan wrote: I read the title as star wars + avatar, as in, crossover. Was wondering how they were going to spin that one.
Introduce the multi-verse and time-travel where all their properties can eventually meet or could be brought back from the dead. Imagine Indiana Jones' whip versus Darth Vader's light sabers and force powers. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2251 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
boonjaca wrote: Introduce the multi-verse and time-travel where all their properties can eventually meet or could be brought back from the dead. Imagine Indiana Jones' whip versus Darth Vader's light sabers and force powers. :twisted:
I honestly wouldn't mind watching Mulan wield a lightsaber (she's probably the only Disney princess who can) and fight Jack Sparrow in Iron Man armour. Man, Disney is turning into the Super Smash Bros. of movies.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5798 posts
2808 upvotes
Global Village
So they are pushing Avatar 2 by another year?!
Too bad, I have been looking forward to the next Avatar more than I have any Star Wars film.
All day I dream about sports
Penalty Box
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1847 upvotes
Ajax
scoper wrote: So they are pushing Avatar 2 by another year?!
Too bad, I have been looking forward to the next Avatar more than I have any Star Wars film.
Yeah, even before the merger Cameron was not interested in competing with Star Wars at Christmas.

Also with Disney owning Christmas from 2021 thru 2027, it is going to make other studios really think about where their own tent pole films will fit in.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6580 posts
3655 upvotes
Aurora
I liked Avatar. Sure I'm on board for more. Though I can't help but think maybe we need to take a break from Star Wars; put some distance from the present movies and let the next generation give it a try in 10 years.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10207 posts
2613 upvotes
Winnipeg
Mr_Fanta wrote: I really hope the Game of Thrones showrunners tackle the Knights of the Old Republic.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/14/1862 ... son-disney

Also, happy birthday to George Lucas today. He will be 75 years old.
avatar Not so much. Was it really that great??

But a +16 rated Knights of the Old Republic. Don't skimp on the cgi would be the next thing to devote time on. Thats how you help get a streaming service to take off. They should do some analytics on how many hbo subs dropped after got ends?
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2014
1028 posts
304 upvotes
Regina, SK
Lets be honest. The extended legends universe is not canon, so they (D.W. and David B.) did not have a healthy starting point of source material books they could adapt. Also less pressure at Netflix doing whatever they do as the Star Wars franchise comes with a lot of scrutiny and expectations.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
4790 posts
2702 upvotes
Toronto
Mr_Fanta wrote: Absolutely huge news that Game of Thrones showrunners have exited the SW trilogy. Now we can understand why Kevin Feige was brought on board to produce a Star Wars movie of his own.
No word on Rian Johnson though, right?
Isn't he masterminding the trilogy they would have been involved with?
Frankly, you kinda have to be nuts to get involved with this franchise, given all the venom and abuse you will have to tolerate from Sith fanboys.
Penalty Box
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1847 upvotes
Ajax
Strong writing and directing will always be rewarded. Tripe is tripe and if supported will continue to be tripe. Rian had his opportunity and pretty much muffed it. But there always the sheep that will follow and snakes that will bite.