Entertainment

Disney digital codes not redeemable through iTunes anymore?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2021 4:47 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7341 posts
8015 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB

Disney digital codes not redeemable through iTunes anymore?

Hey

I just got the steelbook edition of Luca from Best Buy and when I went to redeem the digital code the only options it's giving me are Google Play and the Cineplex Store.

All other Disney movies I've gotten in the past redeemed through iTunes. Admittedly the last Disney movie I purchased was the Toy Story 4 steelbook back in November 2020, but of course that would have released in 2019.

Is this a recent change or is it even just for this movie, oddly enough?
9 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19030 posts
6402 upvotes
Toronto
All digital codes included with Canadian Disney releases, starting with Onward, only redeem to GP or Cineplex. For USA releases, codes can be split and redeemed to GP and Movies Anywhere.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7341 posts
8015 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
audit13 wrote: All digital codes included with Canadian Disney releases, starting with Onward, only redeem to GP or Cineplex. For USA releases, codes can be split and redeemed to GP and Movies Anywhere.
That is disappointing to know! Wonder what the reason for the change was.

Do you know if redeeming through Cineplex includes the ability to stream it in 4k?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21154 posts
7536 upvotes
Toronto
chemicalxv wrote: That is disappointing to know! Wonder what the reason for the change was.

Do you know if redeeming through Cineplex includes the ability to stream it in 4k?
All of the companies have been moving away from iTunes. I suspect it's because of both cost and competition. Many competing streaming platforms now, with Apple also having become a major studio as well with Apple TV+.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7341 posts
8015 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
So I did just check and it looks like Cineplex only has the HD version of this anyways so I see no reason to go with it over Google Play.

Also Cineplex's 4k content only works with Samsung 4k TVs or Roku 4k devices connected to 4k TVs anyways looooooooooooool
4K Content is available for purchase on all platforms. At this time, only Samsung 4K TVs and 4K Roku devices connected to 4K capable TVs will play 4K content. Other devices will play HD content only. In the future, when other 4K capable devices become eligible, for example LG Smart TVs, their previously purchased 4K content will playback in 4K.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7341 posts
8015 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
EugW wrote: All of the companies have been moving away from iTunes. I suspect it's because of both cost and competition. Many competing streaming platforms now, with Apple also having become a major studio as well with Apple TV+.
A Quiet Place Part II redeemed through iTunes!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19030 posts
6402 upvotes
Toronto
chemicalxv wrote: That is disappointing to know! Wonder what the reason for the change was.

Once iTunes was granted rights to 4k Disney movies and since iTunes has a policy of upgrading HD redemptions to 4k for free, this was probably a catalyst for the change.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19030 posts
6402 upvotes
Toronto
chemicalxv wrote: A Quiet Place Part II redeemed through iTunes!
All Paramount digital codes redeem exclusively to iTunes in Canada and Vudu or iTunes in the USA.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7341 posts
8015 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
audit13 wrote: Once iTunes was granted rights to 4k Disney movies and since iTunes has a policy of upgrading HD redemptions to 4k for free, this was probably a catalyst for the change.
If this is the case they were definitely "fine" with it for a number of years...guess a contract would have finally run out and not been renewed?

Either way I'm just more annoyed all my Disney movies aren't in the same spot now. I don't have a good enough internet connection to stream in 4k anyways 🤣
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19030 posts
6402 upvotes
Toronto
chemicalxv wrote: If this is the case they were definitely "fine" with it for a number of years...guess a contract would have finally run out and not been renewed?

Either way I'm just more annoyed all my Disney movies aren't in the same spot now. I don't have a good enough internet connection to stream in 4k anyways 🤣
iTunes never had any Disney, Marvel, or Pixar movies in 4k DV or 4k HDR until a couple of months before the release of Onward.