Ongoing Deal Discussion

Disney+, HULU, ESPN+ - All for $13.99 USD (VPN to U.S required). Disney+ alone is $7.99 USD

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2022 12:26 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
6252 posts
10328 upvotes
Comox Valley , BC
alpovs wrote: Yes, I see the logo and I see various movies there but not Pam & Tommy. It's weird. I cannot find it by searching. I did not set any parental controls either. Are you connecting with your US Disney+ account?

P.S. Why do you use Smart DNS? Canadian content seems richer than US'.
Yeah weird! Maybe you are connecting to a country that has Star but Pam & Tammy isn’t released there yet.
I just have the Canadian account but when I turn on smart dns I get US Disney- so like you said - it’s based on your iP address/where you are connecting from.

Yes Canadian connect is arguably better but I have Hulu so I get all of Star content thru Hulu.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6455 posts
4252 upvotes
SW ON
pathfinder35 wrote: Yeah weird! Maybe you are connecting to a country that has Star but Pam & Tammy isn’t released there yet.
I just have the Canadian account but when I turn on smart dns I get US Disney- so like you said - it’s based on your iP address/where you are connecting from.

Yes Canadian connect is arguably better but I have Hulu so I get all of Star content thru Hulu.
Oh, you have the Canadian account. That might explain it. It was supposed to be by IP but when I connect from Canada with a US account I don't see it. P&T is out on Disney+ in Canada and other countries I tried. But I don't see it with a US account.
May 1, 2016
73 posts
42 upvotes
Pickering, ON
alpovs wrote: It seems to me that Disney+ went the Amazon way, i.e., it requires an account in the country you watch. I have this US Disney+ & Hulu subscription. I see that Hulu has the first 3 episodes of Pam & Tommy. I can't find them on Disney+ while connecting from Canada but by all means they should be there. I changed my Smart DNS to Australia that also should have this series on Disney+. When connected I was greeted with a message "Looks like you are traveling. The content will correspond to the country you are in." (or smth like this) and the only way to get out of this prompt was to press OK. I've never seen such prompt on Disney+. And I couldn't find Pam & Tommy either. I changed my Smart DNS to the Netherlands that also should have it on Disney+, couldn't find it there either. It looks like Disney+ is limiting content not only by country of presence but also by account origin.

Can anyone confirm my findings? Can anyone confirm that you can find Pam & Tommy on Disney+ with a Canadian account? It should be there: https://www.justwatch.com/ca/tv-show/pam-and-tommy
I have it on Disney in Canada. However, the device I was watching on (Samsung tv) only allows access by country. That is, I cannot watch Disney plus (Canadian content) when my tvs region is set to US. Only when I changed region to Canada, could I get the Canadian content (stars); all regardless of smart dns setting. I don't have this issue with other devices on the same network (e.g. Android, Nvidia shield, Apple products).

I also paid seperately for Disney plus (not part of the Hulu package).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6455 posts
4252 upvotes
SW ON
coolibop wrote: I have it on Disney in Canada. However, the device I was watching on (Samsung tv) only allows access by country. That is, I cannot watch Disney plus (Canadian content) when my tvs region is set to US. Only when I changed region to Canada, could I get the Canadian content (stars); all regardless of smart dns setting. I don't have this issue with other devices on the same network (e.g. Android, Nvidia shield, Apple products).

I also paid seperately for Disney plus (not part of the Hulu package).
Is your Disney+ account Canadian or American? If American, can you check please if you see Pam & Tommy on Disney+ on the Shield without any smart DNS? I use Shield with the American Disney+ account.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6455 posts
4252 upvotes
SW ON
pathfinder35 wrote: I just have the Canadian account
coolibop wrote: I have it on Disney in Canada.
Damn, I think I know what the problem is. I tried to check parental controls from the app on the Shield and it wasn't possible. The message was to do it from the browser. First, I logged in from the browser through a US VPN. This is what I saw:
Screenshot 2022-02-07 202205.jpg

A US Disney+ account has the highest rating TV-14 and there is no way to disable this control or allow TV-14 and higher, the maximum is TV-14 and below. Then I logged in without a VPN and had an absolutely the same control.

So, the American Disney+ account limits you to TV-14 movies no matter where you connect from. That's why I see a bunch of movies in the STAR section but some of them are probably missing. This Pam & Tommy series must be TV-MA, that's why I don't see it. So, it's not a good idea to have a US Disney+ account. Beware.
Aug 4, 2010
472 posts
307 upvotes
AB
alpovs wrote: Damn, I think I know what the problem is. I tried to check parental controls from the app on the Shield and it wasn't possible. The message was to do it from the browser. First, I logged in from the browser through a US VPN. This is what I saw:

A US Disney+ account has the highest rating TV-14 and there is no way to disable this control or allow TV-14 and higher, the maximum is TV-14 and below. Then I logged in without a VPN and had an absolutely the same control.

So, the American Disney+ account limits you to TV-14 movies no matter where you connect from. That's why I see a bunch of movies in the STAR section but some of them are probably missing. This Pam & Tommy series must be TV-MA, that's why I don't see it. So, it's not a good idea to have a US Disney+ account. Beware.

FWIW I signed up for the free Disney+ account with the Dreamforce giveaway, selected US as the region so got a US account. I used chat support with Disney and asked them to switch my account from US to Canada with no issues and can access all the Star content now.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6455 posts
4252 upvotes
SW ON
alpovs wrote: Damn, I think I know what the problem is. I tried to check parental controls from the app on the Shield and it wasn't possible. The message was to do it from the browser. First, I logged in from the browser through a US VPN. This is what I saw:

Today I was greeted with a question if I want to allow content up to TV-MA on my US Disney+ account when I opened the app. Finally! US accounts now allow to watch all content in Canada.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
2777 posts
3956 upvotes
Toronto, ON
alpovs wrote: "the streamer is slowly seeing that content trickle away as more individual streaming services surface." That has become a problem. So many different services needing separate subscriptions.
That's why I have PREMIUMIZE WITH DA KODI AND SYNCLER!!!!!!

I HAVE DA POWAHHH!!!!!!