Entertainment

MCU Ms. Marvel (Disney+ teen superhero series June 8 2022)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2022 12:43 pm
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17426 posts
12774 upvotes
Toronto

MCU Ms. Marvel (Disney+ teen superhero series June 8 2022)

jenviea wrote: Moon Knight, She Hulk and Ms Marvel series announced at D23

https://deadline.com/2019/08/she-hulk-m ... 202703050/
*updated Sep 18 2020*

Filmmakers hired to guide the adaptation

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... -exclusive
Last edited by jenviea on Jun 7th, 2022 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
84 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19237 posts
17864 upvotes
GTA, ON
Hometown girl from Markham (north of Toronto).
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
How many Canadians in leading Marvel roles now?

Ms. Marvel
Shang Chi
She Hulk
Deadpool

Plus there are a bunch of major but secondary characters too. eg. Maria Hill, Mantis, Wasp, Sharon Carter, etc.

I didn't know Pom (who plays Mantis) was Canadian until I looked this up. I always just assumed she was French, but she's actually from Québec.

Anyhow, my daughter at 8 typically doesn't like Marvel shows because she finds them a bit scary sometimes, but I wonder if she'll finally watch this one with me. Ms. Marvel seems aimed at a teen or younger audience.
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17426 posts
12774 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote: Plus there are a bunch of major but secondary characters too. eg. Maria Hill, Mantis, Wasp, Sharon Carter, etc.
That's most of them
I couldn't name them from memory so a Narcity list reminds Rachel McAdams was the underutilized love interest for Dr. Strange (I hope she has more to do in the sequel -- probably not)

https://www.narcity.com/12-canadian-act ... r-universe

I just don't care about the TV people/characters YMMV
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2547 posts
1902 upvotes
GTA
If Disney is just going to be making Marvel and Star Wars spin-off, they will soon lose the plot. I'm not sure how much more superheroes and laser fighting the world can take.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
8453 posts
6938 upvotes
I think there will be a huge backlash at the box office against Disney for trying to force gender and ethnic equality onto their mainly overwhelmingly white audience too quickly. Kudos to disney for trying, but they are going too fast on this.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19237 posts
17864 upvotes
GTA, ON
evilYoda wrote: I think there will be a huge backlash at the box office against Disney for trying to force gender and ethnic equality onto their mainly overwhelmingly white audience too quickly. Kudos to disney for trying, but they are going too fast on this.
Not that I care what the 'overwhelmingly white audience' from North America feels comfortable with, but as long as the equality fits well in the main story (as they aren't over reaching for the sake of just trying too hard to make it fit), I could care less. The world is much larger than how a few narrow minded people see it. A good actor should be able to make the character work, and a good writer without studio interference should be able to create a story & script that is seamless, regardless if a character is a man, woman, LGBTQ, or a POC.

The issue with the Star Wars sequels is that they tried to shove it down our throats rather than let it be naturally flowing in the script. At least that's my feeling.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
evilYoda wrote: I think there will be a huge backlash at the box office against Disney for trying to force gender and ethnic equality onto their mainly overwhelmingly white audience too quickly. Kudos to disney for trying, but they are going too fast on this.
Nope.

The movies that have not done well were not very good. The good movies have done well.
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
First Look from Disney+ Day

Pictures
Destiny is all
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19237 posts
17864 upvotes
GTA, ON
First look at the trailer for D+ with our very own Iman Vellani from Markham, ON playing Ms. Marvel
Streams June 8, 2022

Tis banana is IRIE 😎

Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
This looks fun - I had no idea it was coming out this year!

Also shout out to Canadian actors becoming superheroes! She Hulk will also be played by Tatiana Maslany, and Simu Liu was Shang Chi...

Also, another interesting and cool thing I've been noticing is that casting directors are hiring more Brown Canadian actors... We see it here, also in the Aladdin live action movie, and Devi in Netflix's Never Have I Ever.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10166 posts
8293 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone know what approach they are taking with how she gained her powers?

MILD Comics spoilers.....

In the comics, she's an Inhuman.
Not sure if this route is being pursued due to the failed Inhumans series, or cause of Agents of Shield use.
I did not watch the Inhumans series, so no idea what angle was used, or even if they acknowledged Agents of Shield.

My guess would be that they might skip the Inhuman terragenesis concept, as it might be easier to not have to try and explain all of that to viewers. While she is an Inhuman in comics, the vast majority of her appearances don't have all that much to do with Inhumans (besides the occasional larger scope Inhuman series wide story).

For the most part, she was an Inhuman in the comics because at the time she was created, Marvel was trying to put things on the down low with Mutants (due to not having film/series rights to the characters), and was really pushing Inhumans (whom they had all rights to). This is no longer the case. I doubt they will make her a mutant, but she might have some experience that causes her to gain powers.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote: First look at the trailer for D+ with our very own Iman Vellani from Markham, ON playing Ms. Marvel
Streams June 8, 2022
M1GOmigs wrote: Also shout out to Canadian actors becoming superheroes! She Hulk will also be played by Tatiana Maslany, and Simu Liu was Shang Chi...

Also, another interesting and cool thing I've been noticing is that casting directors are hiring more Brown Canadian actors... We see it here, also in the Aladdin live action movie, and Devi in Netflix's Never Have I Ever.
Blinding Lights by The Weeknd was also the trailer music.

I wonder in what year this is set. Blinding Lights is from 2020.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
shikotee wrote: Does anyone know what approach they are taking with how she gained her powers?

MILD Comics spoilers.....

In the comics, she's an Inhuman.
Not sure if this route is being pursued due to the failed Inhumans series, or cause of Agents of Shield use.
I did not watch the Inhumans series, so no idea what angle was used, or even if they acknowledged Agents of Shield.

My guess would be that they might skip the Inhuman terragenesis concept, as it might be easier to not have to try and explain all of that to viewers. While she is an Inhuman in comics, the vast majority of her appearances don't have all that much to do with Inhumans (besides the occasional larger scope Inhuman series wide story).

For the most part, she was an Inhuman in the comics because at the time she was created, Marvel was trying to put things on the down low with Mutants (due to not having film/series rights to the characters), and was really pushing Inhumans (whom they had all rights to). This is no longer the case. I doubt they will make her a mutant, but she might have some experience that causes her to gain powers.
First time I saw them, the powers look almost cosmic in their portrayal.. there's some multicoloured shimmer in her powers when she uses them, and she seems to have more powers than shape shifting. Also there seems to be a lot of Captain Marvel paraphernalia tied in, so I wouldn't be surprised if they go cosmic on this one. It's an easy way to explain powers, rather than have to introduce what inhumans are, and I'm not sure if Mutants are even part of the MCU at this point either...
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12038 posts
5142 upvotes
EugW wrote: Blinding Lights by The Weeknd was also the trailer music.

I wonder in what year this is set. Blinding Lights is from 2020.
Judging by the cars around this is set in present time. Props to Canadian talent, but not sure I care enough about more MCU at this point
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19237 posts
17864 upvotes
GTA, ON
M1GOmigs wrote: First time I saw them, the powers look almost cosmic in their portrayal.. there's some multicoloured shimmer in her powers when she uses them, and she seems to have more powers than shape shifting. Also there seems to be a lot of Captain Marvel paraphernalia tied in, so I wouldn't be surprised if they go cosmic on this one. It's an easy way to explain powers, rather than have to introduce what inhumans are, and I'm not sure if Mutants are even part of the MCU at this point either...
I imagine the origin of her powers are similar to that of Captain Marvel rather than Inhuman. Not so much that she wears similar clothing, but more to the fact that she will be starring in the movie 'The Marvels' (2023) next year along side Brie Larson & Teyonah Parris (Monica Rambeau). Cinematically it would probably be easier to explain away for those who don't have a Disney+ subscription and don't know the back story of Ms Marvel & Rambeau.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)