Sports & Recreation

Disposable contact lens for snorkeling/scuba diving?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2012 4:11 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2010
1704 posts
252 upvotes
Scarbontario

Disposable contact lens for snorkeling/scuba diving?

Hi guys,

I have never worn contact lens before, but I really want to when I go on vacation in Cuba. I want to go snorkeling and scuba diving... but didn't prepare to buy a prescription mask in time. So this is really my last resort to get a few pairs of disposable contact lens, shipped by express.

My prescription is pretty high at -10.00. I have the prescription for my regular eye glasses, but it does not say what "Base Curve"... so what is the safest bet to go with? Lower number or higher?

Which brand is good for beginners? I am only wearing them for a few hours (or less) while I'm wearing a mask.

Thanks!!
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8687 posts
1542 upvotes
Best bet is to go to a store and let them help you find the right fit. You will also need them to teach you how to put them on. Most will give you free trials as well.

I wear contacts for sports only and go the daily disposable route.

It costs me about $1.50 per pair but for the amount of times I wear them, it makes more sense for me that way and is worth it for the ease and convenience, especially while traveling and doing water sports.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
1259 posts
29 upvotes
You are not supposed to wear contacts when scuba diving. There is a real possibility you'll get water in your mask and your lenses could get dislodged in your eyes causing you to panic. A competent instructor will do drills with you on the sea floor to practice situations like losing your oxygen line and getting your mask knocked off. You will get water in your eyes. I suggest trying it without anything first. If it's something you really enjoy doing get lasik or prescription goggles.
Sep 16, 2004
812 posts
21 upvotes
Richmond
spookie149 wrote: You are not supposed to wear contacts when scuba diving. There is a real possibility you'll get water in your mask and your lenses could get dislodged in your eyes causing you to panic. A competent instructor will do drills with you on the sea floor to practice situations like losing your oxygen line and getting your mask knocked off. You will get water in your eyes. I suggest trying it without anything first. If it's something you really enjoy doing get lasik or prescription goggles.

This is INCORRECT.

Who said you are not suppose to wear contacts when SCUBA diving?

I have been diving for over 6 years with contacts with NO problems. Yes there is a possibility that you will get water in your mask. So then PRACTICE. Practice what it feels like to get water in your mask, and open your eyes. I've done this several times without having my contacts become dislodged. Make sure to explain to your DM and buddy that you are diving with contacts, and make up a hand signal incase you DO have a issue with them, so for whatever reason your buddy can help you out if you need to get back to the surface.

Obviously prescription goggles are another avenue all together (which is also recommended) but I prefer to be able to see at all times with my contacts.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
7608 posts
7342 upvotes
I scuba-ed in Thailand last fall with contacts - no problem.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2010
1704 posts
252 upvotes
Scarbontario
Thanks for all the tips! I appreciated it very much. :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)