Health & Wellness

Disposable Masks - Medical Grade

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2020 3:10 pm
Member
Jun 4, 2013
472 posts
198 upvotes
Vancouver
adeel wrote: so what is the best option for fog-free? for some of my glasses wearing family members...it seems that fog free is quite hit or miss
I learn to live with it. They can try to put a small piece paper towel along the nose strip. See if that works.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1572 posts
685 upvotes
Canada
Updated post with pricing - some good deals to be had if you are looking for medical grade masks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1572 posts
685 upvotes
Canada
Staples have PRIMED level 3 masks on sale at $29.99/box with free (expedited) shipping.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
4476 posts
897 upvotes
Toronto
joyiuyiu wrote: The one I received look like https://shopsafetyproducts.ca/collectio ... -2-50-pack.

Yes, I understand the ASTM level 3 only requires BFE/ PFE >= 98%, but it’s the 99% part makes one of the reason I ordered. I would say lack of anti-fog strip is a bigger problem in this case. After all, product description should match the product. If alternative will be issued, a disclaimer / warning should be displayed at the time of ordering.
cahk wrote: Staples have PRIMED level 3 masks on sale at $29.99/box with free (expedited) shipping.
I read that one review of the mask and scared me from buying a box.
Joyiuyiu, how's the quality of the mask in your box?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1572 posts
685 upvotes
Canada
Mr. Robo wrote: I read that one review of the mask and scared me from buying a box.
Joyiuyiu, how's the quality of the mask in your box?
The issue with Surgo was that they (falsely) indicated the masks to have an anti-fog strip. The quality of the mask itself is not in question.
Newbie
Aug 11, 2020
11 posts
7 upvotes
I have not worn them, however, they look pretty decent: soft to touch and wide nose strip.
I think it’s worth it to get from Staples at 29.95 free shipping.
Mr. Robo wrote: I read that one review of the mask and scared me from buying a box.
Joyiuyiu, how's the quality of the mask in your box?
Newbie
Nov 18, 2016
30 posts
7 upvotes
Hi Mr Robo, this tweet from a medical worker seems to confirm that it is made in Germany (at least it was before the pandemic Lol):
It also claims that it is made with very sturdy earloops and aluminium nose clip which is great for a good seal.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1572 posts
685 upvotes
Canada
nyfbber wrote: Hi Mr Robo, this tweet from a medical worker seems to confirm that it is made in Germany (at least it was before the pandemic Lol):
It also claims that it is made with very sturdy earloops and aluminium nose clip which is great for a good seal.
No - Primed masks are not made in Germany (pre-COVID or currently). They have a factory in China that is owned and operated by them
https://www.primed.ca/primed-selected-a ... adas-best/

"This transition to self-manufacturing took place over the next several years, and in the spring of 2007, when manufacturing regulations in China reformed to allow foreign investors to establish wholly owned enterprises, they broke ground on their first fully owned factory. A crucial step, this allowed priMED to transition away from merely being a sourcing “middleman,” to becoming a company in full control of its product and destiny."
https://www.edmonton.com/articles/prime ... cess-story
Newbie
Nov 18, 2016
30 posts
7 upvotes
Hi @cahk , just a reminder, the Braval brand ASTM level 2 mask on the website of University of Montreal's bookstore seems to be sold out. The link is no longer valid, please remove it when updating the list. Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1572 posts
685 upvotes
Canada
nyfbber wrote: Hi @cahk , just a reminder, the Braval brand ASTM level 2 mask on the website of University of Montreal's bookstore seems to be sold out. The link is no longer valid, please remove it when updating the list. Thanks.
Still available, after all ...
Newbie
Nov 18, 2016
30 posts
7 upvotes
cahk wrote: Still available, after all ...
Sorry, my bad, last night when I checked the link, it was invalid. Maybe they were updating their database...lol
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1905 posts
461 upvotes
In Hiding
With so much "production" in Canada, will there ever be reasonably priced N95's available for purchase by vulnerable persons? (not healthcare). Or will this never happen? I've yet to find any that are less than $5.00 a piece. Are the KN95's just as effective? Aside from this post, guess there aren't any that are not fake (can't believe how criminals can profit from killing folks) ... I've been recycling 10 of these since February even for going downstairs to get my mail as the condo dwellers still don't wear masks, crowd into elevator and chat (like really, I don't need your small talk spreading the virus).
Newbie
Nov 18, 2016
30 posts
7 upvotes
Catnippy wrote: With so much "production" in Canada, will there ever be reasonably priced N95's available for purchase by vulnerable persons? (not healthcare). Or will this never happen? I've yet to find any that are less than $5.00 a piece. Are the KN95's just as effective? Aside from this post, guess there aren't any that are not fake (can't believe how criminals can profit from killing folks) ... I've been recycling 10 of these since February even for going downstairs to get my mail as the condo dwellers still don't wear masks, crowd into elevator and chat (like really, I don't need your small talk spreading the virus).
Hi @Catnippy, there are legitimate sellers selling N95 masks (NIOSH certified, not the chinese KN95) now and if you want to buy "in stock" ones (and selling to general public, not limited to healthcare agency), it will be somehow expensive...
1. https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/S-9 ... Respirator. Uline is a reputable seller of labor protective equipements and this one is certified by NIOSH but 73$/20pc + shipping it will be ~5$/pc
2. https://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/safet ... 0-n95-8200. Global industrials also sells this kind of thing from time to time, last time I remembered at the end of Aug they sold out a batch at this price 26$/20, this 3M 8200 is very good and has a great reputation. You can constantly monitor this website and buy it when it is restocked.
3. grainger.ca Now it seems to be sold out, maybe they will restock in the future.
BTW, it is not very healthy to reuse N95 masks too many times without proper sanitizing, since there will be germs (other than covid) growing on the inner layers due to moisture.
Stay healthy!
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4121 posts
743 upvotes
Richmond
cahk wrote: Staples have PRIMED level 3 masks on sale at $29.99/box with free (expedited) shipping.
Thanks ordering a box
Sr. Member
Dec 17, 2009
621 posts
540 upvotes
Toronto
I got the Pri-med one from staples today. For $30, I have no complaint. But be aware, they are made in China.
I also got a box of JHJ for the same price, quality is pretty much the same, but they are made in Canada.
However there is nothing printed on the box that mentioned they are ASTM level 3, they only said it on their website.
I included photos of the masks. The top one is from JHJ, the middle one is Pri-med from Staples and the last one is the Pri-med I got in March.
Images
  • 0D039F08-5052-4196-80BC-DE8792341857.jpeg
  • 1634B7A8-13E3-4E5C-97C7-26C1166691FC.jpeg
  • 330833A0-1091-48C3-84F2-8275E2FAA663.jpeg

Top