• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2017 3:10 pm
[OP]
Jun 16, 2015
139 posts
71 upvotes
Burnaby, BC

Disposable number to register with Whatsapp

Does anyone know where I can get a disposable number to register with Whatsapp? I have tried Fongo and TextFree and it doesn't let me verify as valid number despite even trying to ask Whatsapp support to exempt my number. I really need one Whatsapp account to chat with online friends/kijiji ads etc and don't want to use my real number.
28 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23588 posts
5838 upvotes
Toronto
Have you tried TextNow?

Or go with a prepaid sim....7-11 speakout or Petro Can...

Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15537 posts
14072 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Virgin Mobile. $5 sim cards, $1 on eBay and ships from Ontario.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10161 posts
994 upvotes
Toronto
try Next PLUS app, it uses data and assisngs you an phone number.
Last edited by akito925 on Aug 25th, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7453 posts
2417 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I tried registering my Whatsapp with Fongo before but it only worked when i paid for it. The confirmation sms from Whatsapp was sent from the states and only paid-texting with Fongo can receive texts from out of country.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13302 posts
4644 upvotes
get a number with voip.ms
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
ji2o0k wrote: Have you tried TextNow?Or go with a prepaid sim....7-11 speakout or Petro Can...
That may work for the time being by asking Whatsapp to call you back with a code for simple registration.
But if the OP does not intend to keep maintaining the 711/speakout/Petrocan account, the # will ultimately be reassigned to another user. And the OP may lose the Whatsapp account if the new user of the same number tries to register with Whatsapp.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
GameOfPhones wrote: Does anyone know where I can get a disposable number to register with Whatsapp?
No. Do not even bother if you do not keep that particular number as long as you use Whatsapp. If yo do not keep that particular # it will be reassigned to somebody else. And one day you will find that the new owner of that # controlling your Whatsapp account. I have a friend who used a Hong Kong # to register and it went on well until he moved to Canada and failed to keep that number. One day I found out I am talking to another person bearing that HK # LOL
GameOfPhones wrote: I have tried Fongo and TextFree and it doesn't let me verify as valid number despite even trying to ask Whatsapp support to exempt my number. I really need one Whatsapp account to chat with online friends/kijiji ads etc and don't want to use my real number.
This is the best solution as far as I can see.
Get a free BC number by installing a "TextmeUp" app. That number is free and so are all incoming call and text. You have to keep maintaining that # by using the features. But calling costs 2 cents a minute.
When registering with Whatsapp, make sure you select to let Whatsapp to call that new BC # to give you the code (entry for registration). After registration, keep using the free features of TextmeUp . Or you lose that number. You may choose to call too if you wish to pay which is up to you LOL. My approach is to keep texting another buddy who will ignore me anyway

Daniel
Jan 19, 2017
429 posts
121 upvotes
sorry to hijack the thread. i'd like to know if you use TextMe Up (or TextNow), would Whatsapp still upload all your contact details stored on your phone (and associated with your real phone number)?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
darXider wrote: sorry to hijack the thread. i'd like to know if you use TextMe Up (or TextNow), would Whatsapp still upload all your contact details stored on your phone (and associated with your real phone number)?
Look at Whatsapp/setting/Account/Change number
The instruction is self- explanatory as to the procedure in migrating the discussion and contacts.
I assume you are using the same phone
I stress the data is stored in your phone not on the SIM card
Daniel

Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23588 posts
5838 upvotes
Toronto
Good points raised about the temp phone# and it being re-assigned...never occurred to me about that aspect...

It would be hilarious to be chatting with someone who you think has that number....but it isn't...lol!!

Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15537 posts
14072 upvotes
Going to the Moon
batcave wrote: Google Voice
It's hard for Canadians to get a number on Google Voice. Would it even work for sms validation with WhatsApp?
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5873 posts
4419 upvotes
LaLaLand
titaniumtux wrote: It's hard for Canadians to get a number on Google Voice. Would it even work for sms validation with WhatsApp?
Use VPN, it's pretty easy.

I use Google Voice as my primary number. It works for almost everything. I have verified WhatsApp with my GV number.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
batcave wrote: Use VPN, it's pretty easy.
I doubt it is easy.
While in the US, I was trying to get one . It still needs a US cell# to link with GV. But all my buddies cannot spare one cell # for me to register with Google.
Daniel

Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15537 posts
14072 upvotes
Going to the Moon
batcave wrote: Use VPN, it's pretty easy.

I use Google Voice as my primary number. It works for almost everything. I have verified WhatsApp with my GV number.
VPN, plus sms validation off a prepaid AT&T or T-Mobile sim?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
titaniumtux wrote: VPN, plus sms validation off a prepaid AT&T or T-Mobile sim?
Okei...it can be done by jumping hoops for Canadian in BC (re OP).
But there is still another issue too. Is he going to keep maintaining a U S prepaid SIM as long as he is using Whatsapp?
Daniel

Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15537 posts
14072 upvotes
Going to the Moon
danieltoronto wrote: Okei...it can be done by jumping hoops for Canadian in BC (re OP).
But there is still another issue too. Is he going to keep maintaining a U S prepaid SIM as long as he is using Whatsapp?
Best to select option to port prepaid US number to Google Voice.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5873 posts
4419 upvotes
LaLaLand
titaniumtux wrote: VPN, plus sms validation off a prepaid AT&T or T-Mobile sim?
Right! I forgot about that part! Thanks!