• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2019 8:01 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1414 posts
1321 upvotes

Dispute Discount Truck Damage in court?

Is it worth it to dispute damages to a truck rental in court?

There was windshield damage to a truck I rented. We didn't notice anything happen during our move and the 3 of us returned it after hours.

They didn't take pictures of the damage either.
Last edited by D0ntgiveajack on Dec 4th, 2019 11:56 am, edited 6 times in total.
Wallet safe :rolleyes:
18 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15721 posts
13463 upvotes
Richmond Hill
You are SOL sadly. Should have made sure they inspected on the spot.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2795 posts
2061 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: You are SOL sadly. Should have made sure they inspected on the spot.
This, expensive lesson learned.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1414 posts
1321 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: You are SOL sadly. Should have made sure they inspected on the spot.
They said they were closing and that the computers were off.... I gotta stop being so nice.
Last edited by D0ntgiveajack on Dec 4th, 2019 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28606 posts
14014 upvotes
Toronto
are you going by what the rental place told you ? Have they ever produced and sent you the picture (with the rental truck plate # in the picture) to validate their claim ?
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15721 posts
13463 upvotes
Richmond Hill
D0ntgiveajack wrote: It never even occurred to me to check the glass at the beginning.... I've rented so many times.

They said they were closing and that the computers were off.... I gotta stop being so nice.
You know what, this exact same thing happened to me long long time ago. Rented a car in Hawaii and we were running late returning the car due to an accident on the freeway. Left the car and ran. We get a letter in the mail almost a month later claiming that we returned the car with a cracked windshield. Total bullshit as I know 100% it was perfectly fine. Was pissed off and talked to them and it basically came down to "you don't have proof". Sucks and you would hope that people are honest but can't trust no one anymore it seems.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1414 posts
1321 upvotes
booblehead wrote: are you going by what the rental place told you ? Have they ever produced and sent you the picture (with the rental truck plate # in the picture) to validate their claim ?
No they havn't... I think I will go to the rental place later and ask. Seems reasonable to see it since I'm paying for it now...
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15690 posts
16842 upvotes
Oakville
D0ntgiveajack wrote: Rented a 20' truck. Went smooth, I didn't notice any damage.

I returned my truck at the end of the day and the lady said they'd inspect it next day because they were closing.

Got a call this morning that there was a pinky size chip/crack in the windshield.

I purchased the Collision Damage Waiver but it DOESN'T cover windshield or tires.

PC master card doesn't cover shit either.

What do I dooooooo? Estimate was $528
This is why I record photos/video of the car when I pick it up and when I drop it off. Lots of evidence if needed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1414 posts
1321 upvotes
booblehead wrote: are you going by what the rental place told you ? Have they ever produced and sent you the picture (with the rental truck plate # in the picture) to validate their claim ?
If there is in fact damage to the windshield, would it be worth it to go to court?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28606 posts
14014 upvotes
Toronto
personal opinion ... not worth it. Just settle the bill and move on. Lesson learned. Next time, always make sure rental agent signed off on the inspection when you are returning the vehicle.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15690 posts
16842 upvotes
Oakville
D0ntgiveajack wrote: If there is in fact damage to the windshield, would it be worth it to go to court?
Probably not for $528. But depends on what your time is worth.

Maybe you can negotiate the price down?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1414 posts
1321 upvotes
There is a chance that they don't have any photographic proof of damage to the windshield.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8823 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: This is why I record photos/video of the car when I pick it up and when I drop it off. Lots of evidence if needed.
So much this!!

engineered wrote: Probably not for $528. But depends on what your time is worth.

Maybe you can negotiate the price down?
Not likely. I lol'd at uhaul when I rented a basic and I mean basic f150 with an eight foot box. When I was reading the agreement and insurance disclaimer, the sticker shock was amazing. uhaul valued said POS truck at $85,000 USD.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15690 posts
16842 upvotes
Oakville
koffey wrote: So much this!!

Not likely. I lol'd at uhaul when I rented a basic and I mean basic f150 with an eight foot box. When I was reading the agreement and insurance disclaimer, the sticker shock was amazing. uhaul valued said POS truck at $85,000 USD.
LOL, those basic F150's are like $25k.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
Court is much more expensive then a windshield replacement. If it's just a few small stone chips, they are like 50$ each, not worth your time to consider court.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13001 upvotes
koffey wrote: uhaul valued said POS truck at $85,000 USD.
$25k CAD for the truck.
$50k CAD for the paint job.
$25k CAD for for neglecting maintenance.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2984 posts
2903 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
engineered wrote: This is why I record photos/video of the car when I pick it up and when I drop it off. Lots of evidence if needed.
Hell i walk around my car and record a quick video of the exterior (and a photo of the mileage) when i drop it off at the dealership. And i trust my dealership haha. It's just easier and cuts through all the BS.

Only do it because of stories like this one where rental places try to scam you, so for the 30 seconds it takes might as well.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8156 posts
1886 upvotes
Toronto
D0ntgiveajack wrote: No they havn't... I think I will go to the rental place later and ask. Seems reasonable to see it since I'm paying for it now...
You are correct. Contact your credit card company and dispute the payment. They need evidence to charge you for stuff like this.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35254 posts
21231 upvotes
Center of Universe
Ecsta wrote: Hell i walk around my car and record a quick video of the exterior (and a photo of the mileage) when i drop it off at the dealership. And i trust my dealership haha. It's just easier and cuts through all the BS.

Only do it because of stories like this one where rental places try to scam you, so for the 30 seconds it takes might as well.
That's standard practice at the dealerships I go to.
They do a walk around, record mileage and you sign before they take your car into the bay.