Automotive

Locked: Disputing a driving ticket (Richmond Hill, ON)

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2021 4:03 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3839 posts
668 upvotes

Disputing a driving ticket (Richmond Hill, ON)

Hello,

I recently got a speeding ticket for going 21km/h over in a 50km/h zone. They had reduced it to 15km/h and no demerit point.

I would like to dispute this one as I was going with traffic which is always my rule of thumb when driving. I just happen to be the last one in the group so I got pulled over. I always though the first one would get the ticket.

The options on the back are:
1) Pay the fine
2) Plea of Guilty: Please call the court directly to book your appointment.
3) Trial Option: To request a trial, fill out your ticket and mail it to the court address or email to xxx.

I don't lose demerit points and the fee is only $52, but i've had another 15km/h speeding ticket and I don't know how this new one will affect my driving history and insurance.

If I want to dispute it (reasoning being that I was driving with traffic) so that it doesn't affect my insurance, would it be option 2 or 3?

Thanks in advance!
Share:
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 1, 2005
5847 posts
3492 upvotes
Toronto
#3 if you want the ticket completely tossed but,

Image
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3839 posts
668 upvotes
BeaverLiquor wrote: #3 if you want the ticket completely tossed but,

Image
haha. What does that mean. Would fighting it make it worse?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
30079 posts
16101 upvotes
Toronto
Insurance rates you on conviction
Newbie
User avatar
Aug 20, 2021
52 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
Mint wrote: Hello,

I recently got a speeding ticket for going 21km/h over in a 50km/h zone. They had reduced it to 15km/h and no demerit point.

I would like to dispute this one as I was going with traffic which is always my rule of thumb when driving. I just happen to be the last one in the group so I got pulled over. I always though the first one would get the ticket.

The options on the back are:
1) Pay the fine
2) Plea of Guilty: Please call the court directly to book your appointment.
3) Trial Option: To request a trial, fill out your ticket and mail it to the court address or email to xxx.

I don't lose demerit points and the fee is only $52, but i've had another 15km/h speeding ticket and I don't know how this new one will affect my driving history and insurance.

If I want to dispute it (reasoning being that I was driving with traffic) so that it doesn't affect my insurance, would it be option 2 or 3?

Thanks in advance!
I got the impression that trials had been postponed or delayed because of Covid-19. I mean, I am sure that important trials are still being held, but If the pandemic is causing less trials to be held, it would be the minor things like traffic ticket appeals which they would delay. And if they delay long enough, you win cuz you have the right to a trial in a reasonable amount of time. So maybe go with the trial option?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
12670 posts
9282 upvotes
Edmonton
Mint wrote: Hello,

I recently got a speeding ticket for going 21km/h over in a 50km/h zone. They had reduced it to 15km/h and no demerit point.

I would like to dispute this one as I was going with traffic which is always my rule of thumb when driving. I just happen to be the last one in the group so I got pulled over. I always though the first one would get the ticket.

The options on the back are:
1) Pay the fine
2) Plea of Guilty: Please call the court directly to book your appointment.
3) Trial Option: To request a trial, fill out your ticket and mail it to the court address or email to xxx.

I don't lose demerit points and the fee is only $52, but i've had another 15km/h speeding ticket and I don't know how this new one will affect my driving history and insurance.

If I want to dispute it (reasoning being that I was driving with traffic) so that it doesn't affect my insurance, would it be option 2 or 3?

Thanks in advance!
That defense is no defense at all. The JP will shut you down before you get the words out of your mouth. So if that's all you've got, you're wasting your time (and everyone's tax dollars).

However... Go ahead and request a trial. I would ignore any offers, and wait for the trial day. There's nothing left to reduce it to, so your only real hope is that it gets dropped due to COVID or some other reason. Any deal means you might as well have paid off the ticket in the first place (one conviction is as good as any other), so wait and hope for the best. You've got nothing to lose at this point. But if it actually gets to trial and they ask how you plead, you might as well plead guilty, unless you enjoy humiliation. Plus the prosecution can amend the ticket back up to the 21 over if you plead not guilty, and you'll be convicted on that charge.

C
Member
Dec 1, 2009
220 posts
158 upvotes
Your defense is "I'm innocent because everyone else was doing it too"?
Sr. Member
Sep 14, 2012
962 posts
1188 upvotes
Toronto
So you don't dispute you were speeding? Your defense is you were the last in a group so it ain't fair that you get the ticket?

Don't embarrass yourself with that so called defense in court.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 1, 2005
5847 posts
3492 upvotes
Toronto
Mint wrote: haha. What does that mean. Would fighting it make it worse?
You're going to be in for a

:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3839 posts
668 upvotes
liplip wrote: Your defense is "I'm innocent because everyone else was doing it too"?
yep pretty much. lol.

i mean we live in a real world and follow generally accepted practices. There's precedent set. Driving with traffic is the standard practice everywhere, esp in the 15-20km/h.

if we followed the rules to the tee, then everyone driving 1km/h should be getting a ticket, no exceptions for "only 1km/h over".
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2948 posts
1450 upvotes
Mississauga
Mint wrote: yep pretty much. lol.

i mean we live in a real world and follow generally accepted practices. There's precedent set. Driving with traffic is the standard practice everywhere, esp in the 15-20km/h.

if we followed the rules to the tee, then everyone driving 1km/h should be getting a ticket, no exceptions for "only 1km/h over".
The court does not care about the other drivers and what they were doing at the time of the incident. You were breaking the speed rule and was caught. You wont get the ticket thrown out because other drivers were not caught too.

Insurance rates are about conviction so your #1 and #2 options are thesame. You need to pursue the #3 option and look for another way to toss the ticket without saying other drivers were speeding too and I was last in the group.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1720 posts
2488 upvotes
West
Mint wrote: yep pretty much. lol.

i mean we live in a real world and follow generally accepted practices. There's precedent set. Driving with traffic is the standard practice everywhere, esp in the 15-20km/h.

if we followed the rules to the tee, then everyone driving 1km/h should be getting a ticket, no exceptions for "only 1km/h over".
Amazing, sounds like an excuse I would've used in elementary school.
Sr. Member
Nov 8, 2006
884 posts
358 upvotes
Toronto
They put a special sign on the ticket that it has been reduced. So, it doesnt matter what it is written. The court knows.

But as always, fight it, you have nothing to lose except paying more if you dont take the plead to lesser charge. There will be a backlog, but the statue of limitation to provide a trial in a timely manner does not apply anymore since its COVID. All can be scheduled online, even the police.

Ontario police gets paid overtime when attending court, so you can bet that they will be present.

Also, Why the F where you going 71 km/h or so you say in a 50 zone? Going with traffic never hold, since breaking the law no matter how small is still the same.
Jr. Member
Dec 3, 2019
186 posts
136 upvotes
There some US states were arguing you were going with the flow is traffic is a valid reason to speed.

I think in Ontario you would have to prove that going with the flow of traffic was safer option.

I can see how passing someone on the 401 using the left lane speeding up to 120 might be safer option than merging into the fast lane at the 100 speed limit. But I don't think just following a speeder is safer.
Sr. Member
Nov 8, 2006
884 posts
358 upvotes
Toronto
buysellbuy wrote: There some US states were arguing you were going with the flow is traffic is a valid reason to speed.

I think in Ontario you would have to prove that going with the flow of traffic was safer option.

I can see how passing someone on the 401 using the left lane speeding up to 120 might be safer option than merging into the fast lane at the 100 speed limit. But I don't think just following a speeder is safer.
He is going 71 in a 50 zone....argue that. You prove me where there is a safer situation to go faster in a 50...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3839 posts
668 upvotes
Last comment I'll make in this thread and will leave it at that.

I'm good with all critism above as I did speed, but please realize that if you have ever gone above the speed limit, by your logic you're wrong every single time.

In the real world, most things aren't black and white. It's a balance of rules and practicality. To me, driving with traffic has always been the rule of thumb. It's probably safer in most cases because you avoid road rage and people aggressively overtaking you. Imagine being stuck behind someone driving at 20km/h in a 50km/h zone.

I find it a bit laughable that somehow everyone on the internet became perfect drivers. Lol
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 30, 2020
1086 posts
1703 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Mint wrote: Last comment I'll make in this thread and will leave it at that.

I'm good with all critism above as I did speed, but please realize that if you have ever gone above the speed limit, by your logic you're wrong every single time.

In the real world, most things aren't black and white. It's a balance of rules and practicality. To me, driving with traffic has always been the rule of thumb. It's probably safer in most cases because you avoid road rage and people aggressively overtaking you. Imagine being stuck behind someone driving at 20km/h in a 50km/h zone.

I find it a bit laughable that somehow everyone on the internet became perfect drivers. Lol
You can go as slow as you want in the right lane. Hold this L.
Member
User avatar
May 31, 2008
238 posts
397 upvotes
Mint wrote: Last comment I'll make in this thread and will leave it at that.

I'm good with all critism above as I did speed, but please realize that if you have ever gone above the speed limit, by your logic you're wrong every single time.

In the real world, most things aren't black and white. It's a balance of rules and practicality. To me, driving with traffic has always been the rule of thumb. It's probably safer in most cases because you avoid road rage and people aggressively overtaking you. Imagine being stuck behind someone driving at 20km/h in a 50km/h zone.

I find it a bit laughable that somehow everyone on the internet became perfect drivers. Lol
You were driving 41% over the speed limit and your defense was that others were too. Good luck with that. That's like driving 141 km/h on the highway with a 100 km/h limit, but IMO what you did was worse because unlike the highway you have to deal with traffic signals, driveways, intersections, pedestrians, etc.

I don't think others are claiming they are perfect drivers, more like maybe you should start taking responsibility for your actions seeing how this is your 2nd ticket for speeding and this last one was actually reduced. It's no doubt that you drive at these speeds routinely and it's only a matter of time before your insurance goes up to the 5-6k range. Like I said... Good luck!

Top