Health & Wellness

Distillation Water Machine recommendations?

[OP]
Jul 18, 2019
146 posts
72 upvotes
Ontario

Distillation Water Machine recommendations?

Hello RFDers!

I want to buy a water distillation machine.

I see tons on Amazon. I don't know what to buy.
I am tired buying distilled water from supermarkets. I probably spents $100s so far.

I hope to get one that lasts a long time. I see them on Amazon for $100+.
I use distilled water for salt nasal rinses and humidifier.

Thanks!
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6660 posts
1340 upvotes
Distillation is an extremely slow and expensive process that uses a lot of electricity. The water you get in stores is from reverse osmosis, not distillation. RO is not quite as pure as disty, but close enough. An RO system is more expensive, takes a lot of under counter space, but provides a lot of water, typically 25 - 75 gallons every 24 hours. RO though really isn't viable to set up unless you own your own place.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22812 posts
21648 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
woof wrote: Distillation is an extremely slow and expensive process that uses a lot of electricity. The water you get in stores is from reverse osmosis, not distillation. RO is not quite as pure as disty, but close enough. An RO system is more expensive, takes a lot of under counter space, but provides a lot of water, typically 25 - 75 gallons every 24 hours. RO though really isn't viable to set up unless you own your own place.
I believe that as per the Cdn labelling laws … a bottle of water labelled as Distilled Water
Must actually be sourced as distilled

Now if you are talking those water refill machines in some grocery stores
Then ya … that’s a whole other ball of wax
Not a whole lot of overseeing going on there IMO

I buy my distilled water by the case when I see it on sale
We use it in our hydroponic Aerogardens
But I know others who use it in their Aquariums
Or CPAP machines etc
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8361 posts
4068 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Get and run a dehumidifier. Tap into the condensate.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2026 posts
1089 upvotes
Oakville
mlerfd wrote: Hello RFDers!
I use distilled water for salt nasal rinses and humidifier.

Thanks!
thriftshopper wrote: Get and run a dehumidifier. Tap into the condensate.
...Use a dehumidifier to create distilled water to use in a humidifier...

I probably wouldn't want to use that condensate for a nasal rinse without boiling to kill any organisms growing inside the dehumidifier either.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7703 posts
5672 upvotes
Toronto
I ended up purchasing this:

https://vevor.ca/products/4l-water-dist ... -distilled

They had some additional coupons for Black Friday.

Just curious if there is anyone here who has used something similar.
I'm mostly wondering how often one should expect to replace the charcoal filter pouch.
It shipped with 4 pouches, and will likely order more from AliE.
Just trying to conceptualize what a reasonable amount to purchase would be.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6933 posts
4662 upvotes
SW ON
shikotee wrote: I ended up purchasing this:

I'm mostly wondering how often one should expect to replace the charcoal filter pouch.
Why don't I see any mention of the charcoal filter pouches in the listing?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7703 posts
5672 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote: Why don't I see any mention of the charcoal filter pouches in the listing?
It is referenced, by diagram, as the 304 sus filter.
It's basically a teabag of charcoal that is placed where the spout is.

Everything from this site is from China.
The manual is also very scant on details.

Charcoal filters are fairly common for water based devices/filtration. My Breville Espresso machine also uses charcoal.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
May 6, 2010
931 posts
325 upvotes
Richmond Hill
woof wrote: Distillation is an extremely slow and expensive process that uses a lot of electricity. The water you get in stores is from reverse osmosis, not distillation. RO is not quite as pure as disty, but close enough. An RO system is more expensive, takes a lot of under counter space, but provides a lot of water, typically 25 - 75 gallons every 24 hours. RO though really isn't viable to set up unless you own your own place.
i's supposed to be steam distilled/ozonated in the stores, at least where i buy.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6660 posts
1340 upvotes
It could be, but I 'd be really surprised if it was. Producing water through steam takes forever and uses a lot of expensive electricity. I don't see what the point of the ozone is. Distilled water is absolutely pure. Ozone adds no value except as a marketing gimmick. But I'd question the issue of it being distilled considering how much water has to be quickly produced for customers.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6933 posts
4662 upvotes
SW ON
woof wrote: It could be, but I 'd be really surprised if it was. Producing water through steam takes forever and uses a lot of expensive electricity. I don't see what the point of the ozone is. Distilled water is absolutely pure. Ozone adds no value except as a marketing gimmick. But I'd question the issue of it being distilled considering how much water has to be quickly produced for customers.
The definition of "distilled" is pretty narrow. If the bottle says "distilled" it has to be distilled from vapor or people can sue for misrepresentation. There are large distilleries. Distilled water is widely used in food, medical industries and in research labs. Whatever ends up in stores for consumers is probably a tiny fraction of what's produced.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6660 posts
1340 upvotes
alpovs wrote: There are large distilleries. Distilled water is widely used in food, medical industries and in research labs. Whatever ends up in stores for consumers is probably a tiny fraction of what's produced.
He's talking about distilled water actually being produced in the store at those booths where pure water is dispensed into jugs. Yes, distilled water is also brought into and sold in stores on their shelves in prefilled 4 liter jugs but that's not what he's referring to.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
1437 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
shikotee wrote: I ended up purchasing this:

Hows the product? Looking to buy this myself...

What was the price on blackfriday? I'm seeing 139.99 right now. And I think there's a $5 coupon.

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7703 posts
5672 upvotes
Toronto
sheepe wrote: Hows the product? Looking to buy this myself...

What was the price on blackfriday? I'm seeing 139.99 right now. And I think there's a $5 coupon.

Thanks
Had been meaning to update.
For the love of all things holy - stay away from this company.

The unit I received was defective. After several hours, all it could do was make lukewarm water, where not a single drop of distilled water was produced. I emailed about this - zero response. I also tried calling the number on the site - red herring - you are on hold, then a voicemail is full message. I paid using PayPal, and filed a dispute. Am waiting to hear back on this.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
1437 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
shikotee wrote: Had been meaning to update.
For the love of all things holy - stay away from this company.

The unit I received was defective. After several hours, all it could do was make lukewarm water, where not a single drop of distilled water was produced. I emailed about this - zero response. I also tried calling the number on the site - red herring - you are on hold, then a voicemail is full message. I paid using PayPal, and filed a dispute. Am waiting to hear back on this.
Thanks for the update!

Weird because some of the reviews on youtube were decent... Will you be trying another one?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7703 posts
5672 upvotes
Toronto
sheepe wrote: Thanks for the update!

Weird because some of the reviews on youtube were decent... Will you be trying another one?
I ordered another from Amazon. Different branding, and different on/off, but everything else identical, including the packaging. Amazon returns are until end of January, so I plan to run it hard to see how it holds out. Many Amazon reviews tell the tale of malfunction a few months in, with next to zero help from sellers. Another issue is the quality of the interior metal, which looks like stainless steel but clearly is not (it rusts on the interior topside). My take from this is that when done using, remove top and allow unit to dry. I also clean the residue after each batch with a small amount of vinegar.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
1437 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
shikotee wrote: I ordered another from Amazon. Different branding, and different on/off, but everything else identical, including the packaging. Amazon returns are until end of January, so I plan to run it hard to see how it holds out. Many Amazon reviews tell the tale of malfunction a few months in, with next to zero help from sellers. Another issue is the quality of the interior metal, which looks like stainless steel but clearly is not (it rusts on the interior topside). My take from this is that when done using, remove top and allow unit to dry. I also clean the residue after each batch with a small amount of vinegar.
That might be a good idea... Dealing with amazon might be better than going through paypal...

Which one you ordering on amazon? Seems like they're a bit pricier on amazon.

I see this one.... https://www.amazon.ca/CO-Z-Distiller-Co ... 78&sr=8-15
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7703 posts
5672 upvotes
Toronto
sheepe wrote: That might be a good idea... Dealing with amazon might be better than going through paypal...

Which one you ordering on amazon? Seems like they're a bit pricier on amazon.

I see this one.... https://www.amazon.ca/CO-Z-Distiller-Co ... 78&sr=8-15
Yup - definitely pricier.
I went with one of the $189 ones.
If something better turns up Boxing Day, will snag it and return the other.

If only planning to distill water, look for on/off functionality only.
In all likelihood, it is the temperature switch that malfunctioned on the garbage unit I got.
It seems to believe 66 degrees is 106 degrees.

This is what ticks me off about these China factories that produce multi branded things.
To cut corners, they'll include a dirt cheap part that compromises everything.

Earlier in the year, I ought a bunch of solar torches that simulate flame effects.
Not the dirt cheap ones either. Several stopped working after a few months.
The problem - very cheap on/off switches.
To rectify, cut the wire and removed switch, then connected wires directly.
It only turns on when it is dark, so the switch isn't super necessary.
Basically, a small part that costs them pennies that compromises the full unit.
In all likelihood, they knowingly install dubious parts for their lower brands, instead of doing the right thing and putting in something solid.
Feb 26, 2017
267 posts
124 upvotes
That gimmick machine is costly and easy to break.

You can make your own home-made distiller that costs way less and super reliable by using pressure cookers such as:
- instant pot: https://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/hom ... 0z1908zsta
- stovetop pressure cooker:
https://www.instructables.com/How-to-make-a-still/

Wait for a stovetop pressure cooker goes on sale 60% off at Canadian Tire and buy a roll of copper fridge water line for line $15. That's pretty much all you need.

Since you are just distilling water, you won't have to worry about the boiling/steaming temperature. You can crank up and leave the stove somewhere near high temperature then let the water steam.

If you are moonshining, you'll know what you are doing with the temperature. Too high is not good. Let the first couple minutes of steam go because that's what makes drinkers go blind and mess up mind.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7703 posts
5672 upvotes
Toronto
Just to follow up....

I filed the paypal dispute about a week ago.
The seller responded that the money would be refunded, upon receipt of defective product shipped to Hong Kong.
I can't even imagine what the ridiculous cost would be to make such a shipment.
The Vevor webiste clearly stipulates 30 day "free" returns, and 12 month warranty.
The automated Paypal dispute process gives only one response option - entry of shipping details.

I ended up calling Paypal, and spoke with a CS rep.
They reviewed things, and immediately refunded the full amount paid.
I do not have to ship anything back.
My order included another item (non mechanical), so with the full refund, I basically got it for free.
I guess this counts as a payment for all the time and effort trying to figure this nonsense out.

The distiller I ordered from Amazon is working without problems.
Since I have the defective unit, when I have some time, will take it apart to see if I can figure out what is malfunctioning.