• Last Updated:
  • Apr 2nd, 2020 4:13 pm
[OP]
Jan 15, 2009
465 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto

Dividend payout and online brokerages

How long does it typically take for the dividend payout to show up in your online brokerage account? Specifically Questrade.
19 replies
Nov 27, 2019
171 posts
129 upvotes
showmethemoney2009 wrote: How long does it typically take for the dividend payout to show up in your online brokerage account? Specifically Questrade.
From my experience, it usually takes around 7 days. I don't know why it takes so much time.
Sep 18, 2016
330 posts
284 upvotes
next day
Index Investors, the Vegans of the Investing Industry

Interesting to see that you still don't grasp in the slightest how the principle idea of div investing works.
Mar 16, 2009
176 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
With TD Direct Investing, it shows up the same morning it's paid out, at around 6 am ET
Dec 2, 2017
581 posts
594 upvotes
jflex wrote: With TD Direct Investing, it shows up the same morning it's paid out, at around 6 am ET
however, be aware, if you have DRIP, TD will buy shares next day using this amount.
I've made a mistake once by buying some shares with dividend money same day, then on the following day when TD decided to do DRIP for me, I had a negative balance because of that.

QT usually distribute dividends next day and do DRIP the same time
Last edited by EuRaFree on Apr 1st, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2009
6004 posts
1861 upvotes
Scarborough
1Ogiku2 wrote: next day
I've had the same experience - Next day as the account balance/transactions are usually 1 day behind.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2014
1540 posts
1944 upvotes
Burlington, ON
HSBC it's next day for cash payouts, but stock splits can take a few days. :(
Nov 27, 2019
171 posts
129 upvotes
SkimGuy wrote: I've had the same experience - Next day as the account balance/transactions are usually 1 day behind.
Questrade? Interesting... I just received ETF dividends from 03/24 (e.g. VEE.TO)
May 29, 2006
632 posts
136 upvotes
Im with Questrade....My ETFs paid out yesterday and the money is in the accounts this morning....I have had a delay of a day or so in the past but it is usually very quick
Dec 2, 2017
581 posts
594 upvotes
florenntina wrote: Questrade? Interesting... I just received ETF dividends from 03/24 (e.g. VEE.TO)
Dividend Payment Date 31 Mar 2020
[OP]
Jan 15, 2009
465 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
From what I gather through everyone's response, it should be next/near immediate. However, I had positions with XBAL, which had a div pay date of March 31st. When I logged in today, after the Carrytel outage yesterday, there's no clear way to tell that it's been deposited in my account.
May 29, 2006
632 posts
136 upvotes
showmethemoney2009 wrote: From what I gather through everyone's response, it should be next/near immediate. However, I had positions with XBAL, which had a div pay date of March 31st. When I logged in today, after the Carrytel outage yesterday, there's no clear way to tell that it's been deposited in my account.
I can see all account activity including dividend payouts by leaving the trading platform and going into account activities where you can filter out all the different forms of account activities (buy,sell,dividend,etc)
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
1789 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
With BMOinvestorline.
Next day.

There is a dude on reddit shiiting/ripping on Questrade. it's an amazing thread LOL

he basically lost 50k during the Questtrade outtage cause he couldn't login to exercise his options?

i think it's under r/wallstreetbets
[OP]
Jan 15, 2009
465 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
nelly29 wrote: I can see all account activity including dividend payouts by leaving the trading platform and going into account activities where you can filter out all the different forms of account activities (buy,sell,dividend,etc)
Thanks, I see it now :)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
5300 posts
4692 upvotes
n3o321 wrote: With BMOinvestorline.
Next day.

There is a dude on reddit shiiting/ripping on Questrade. it's an amazing thread LOL

he basically lost 50k during the Questtrade outtage cause he couldn't login to exercise his options?

These commercials from Questrade have a whole new meaning. You get what you pay for

"We can't wait another year"
"This could be life changing"
Images
  • Questrade vids.JPG
[OP]
Jan 15, 2009
465 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
n3o321 wrote: With BMOinvestorline.
Next day.

Well, I think RobinHood in the U.S. is in the same boat. I don't have a lot of experience with all the brokerages to compare but so far my dealings with Questrade's customer support hasn't been satisfactory. They respond to you with very generic scripts that doesn't really answer anything.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
1789 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
MrMom wrote: These commercials from Questrade have a whole new meaning. You get what you pay for

"We can't wait another year"
"This could be life changing"

Yupppp

i'd freak out but the dude is handling it like a champ.

Questtrade offered him $1200 reimbursement if he signed a NDA lolllll and the dude said no. mannn thats crazyyyyyy!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
5300 posts
4692 upvotes
n3o321 wrote: Yupppp

i'd freak out but the dude is handling it like a champ.

Questtrade offered him $1200 reimbursement if he signed a NDA lolllll and the dude said no. mannn thats crazyyyyyy!
Crazy to turn down the money or crazy that he was offered the money?

I wouldn't take the money. I'd rmake sure IIROC knew about all of it. Everything would be documented. Nothing ever gets better unless pushed.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
1789 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
MrMom wrote: Crazy to turn down the money or crazy that he was offered the money?

I wouldn't take the money. I'd make sure IIROC knew about all of it. Everything would be documented. Nothing ever gets better unless pushed.
for what he was offered! LOL i would never sign that NDA.

he was joking about revenge and saying how he'd do an eye for an eye kinda thing but worded it differently like burning down the Questrade building and then Questrade got police involved for threatening to burn down the building LOLLL. that thread is just so amazing and that dude is legendary.