• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2023 6:20 pm
[OP]
Dec 16, 2022
3 posts
6 upvotes
Oakville

Divorce Lawyers

any recommendations on divorce lawyers in the GTA area?
46 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2265 posts
2553 upvotes
Toronto
Your wife's....seeing men the vast majority of time come out with the short end of the stick.

If at all possible wait it out as long as humanly possible, at least till the kids if any are grown and finished their education.

It's better to be in a respectful cordial marriage and eating beef and chicken for dinner, rather than divorced and broke eating craft dinner and jello just trying to survive.

A good counselor is much less expensive than a lawyer going down the divorce path.

Good luck.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
3994 posts
3287 upvotes
Torontois @ 宇宙中心
BuddyBobby wrote: any recommendations on divorce lawyers in the GTA area?
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: Your wife's....seeing men the vast majority of time come out with the short end of the stick.

If at all possible wait it out as long as humanly possible, at least till the kids if any are grown and finished their education.

It's better to be in a respectful cordial marriage and eating beef and chicken for dinner, rather than divorced and broke eating craft dinner and jello just trying to survive.

A good counselor is much less expensive than a lawyer going down the divorce path.

Good luck.
Shit broskies, why did you even get married? You saw what happened in the 70's onwards to Boomer/X'er dudes. Hope you find a good attorney. All I've seen was financially mutually assured destruction to benefit of lawyers. You'll probably lose your house, car, and custody of the kids from what I've seen of my white-dude corporate managers/directors.

Ballroomblitz is right, all I can say, divorce ****s the hell out of children badly from what I've seen in the health and education sectors. I wouldn't do it, but what do I know. I'm a non-binary asexual that loves stacking that cash.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
3994 posts
3287 upvotes
Torontois @ 宇宙中心
Maybe you'll have better luck on Reddit since its more anonymous? lol Or hopefully people have been PM'ing you leads.
One of the divorced managers said 'It's cheaper to keep her', I still don't get it to this day...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8737 posts
4356 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
It's not the lawyers. They're just doing what they are instructed to do. If you want to really split up, best is to use a mediator. Legal fees pile up when couples start to bicker about everything, trying to make points, sticking it to the other side, inning at all costs, etc.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
3994 posts
3287 upvotes
Torontois @ 宇宙中心
thriftshopper wrote: It's not the lawyers. They're just doing what they are instructed to do. If you want to really split up, best is to use a mediator. Legal fees pile up when couples start to bicker about everything, trying to make points, sticking it to the other side, inning at all costs, etc.
Username checks out

Yeah that couple that nuked each other into the financial stone age were spite-fighting. Ended up with negative equity in old age, ugly...Hell hath no fury like a dude scorned...?
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
13429 posts
4342 upvotes
We RFD we want to hear why the OP wants a divorce. Is OP a guy or a lady?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23469 posts
22419 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
thriftshopper wrote: It's not the lawyers. They're just doing what they are instructed to do. If you want to really split up, best is to use a mediator. Legal fees pile up when couples start to bicker about everything, trying to make points, sticking it to the other side, inning at all costs, etc.
Only one problem with mediation …
If you cannot settle
And end up in court anyhow
Anything that was said / disclosed in mediation
Cannot be discussed in court

So not just any mediated agreements that were in the works
But any other stuff too

So mediation fails
And potentially a divorce could cost you even more than if you’d gone that route to begin with

Know a guy this happened to
Wife convinced him to use mediation
But it fell thru …
Cuz well a lot of things were said
And then … the stone walling happened

They ended up in court anyhow

And the end result was a lot more costly than he had ever estimated

So … before you do anything else
Get swayed by any other thoughts / ways to achieve an end result of divorce
Consult a lawyer to understand your rights
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
2080 posts
3052 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: If at all possible wait it out as long as humanly possible, at least till the kids if any are grown and finished their education.
ADenariusSaved wrote: Ballroomblitz is right, all I can say, divorce ****s the hell out of children badly from what I've seen in the health and education sectors.
Counterpoint: all my friends whose parents stayed together "for the kids" were acutely aware of it, hated the atmosphere in their homes, wanted their parents to just divorce once and for all, and carry all that baggage into their relationships as adults. Whether it's the friends whose parents were fighting all the time or the one whose parents never had a bad word to say about each other and just politely slept in separate bedrooms for 20 years.

My wife's parents stayed together until all the children finished high school despite her father's infidelity because "kids need two parents". The end result is both parents have strained relationships with their adult children.

My parents split up when I was 10 (father was abusive and likely would have eventually killed my mother). People still buy into old myths about biases against fathers where they instantly pay a million a month in alimony and never see their kids again. The reality is that the courts have shown time and time again that if a father wants to be in his children's lives, the courts will grant access, even in cases of abuse.

Best case scenario is to aim for an amicable split. Whether it's via a lawyer or mediator, make it as smooth a transition for the kids as possible. The "stay together or she'll take you to the cleaners, bro!!!" advice will do nothing but deepen resentment on all sides.
Feb 13, 2021
532 posts
529 upvotes
OP seems male. If so, look for a female lawyer who can cut through the wife's possible emotional drama. Don't argue over knick-knacks and furniture at $150+ per hour.

Divorce is no fun but if you're fair to each other in the split of assets, it will be less painful.
May 29, 2017
489 posts
381 upvotes
My Partner used a mediator with her ex. I personally think it was the best thing to happen from him. They didnt go to court and she doesn't hound him for child support or anything. All that was agreed from what I understand is that he gets the kid every other weekend and he has to pay child support (which he doesnt lol). Considering what a lawyer can do, I'd go the mediator route. But you know your ex. Also.. im sorry about the divorce.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
4024 posts
2509 upvotes
Ottawa
Ninja Robot Pirate wrote: Counterpoint: all my friends whose parents stayed together "for the kids" were acutely aware of it, hated the atmosphere in their homes, wanted their parents to just divorce once and for all, and carry all that baggage into their relationships as adults. Whether it's the friends whose parents were fighting all the time or the one whose parents never had a bad word to say about each other and just politely slept in separate bedrooms for 20 years.

My wife's parents stayed together until all the children finished high school despite her father's infidelity because "kids need two parents". The end result is both parents have strained relationships with their adult children.

My parents split up when I was 10 (father was abusive and likely would have eventually killed my mother). People still buy into old myths about biases against fathers where they instantly pay a million a month in alimony and never see their kids again. The reality is that the courts have shown time and time again that if a father wants to be in his children's lives, the courts will grant access, even in cases of abuse.

Best case scenario is to aim for an amicable split. Whether it's via a lawyer or mediator, make it as smooth a transition for the kids as possible. The "stay together or she'll take you to the cleaners, bro!!!" advice will do nothing but deepen resentment on all sides.
I agree in cases of abuse or infidelity but many divorces now are about him picking up his socks or money issues or supporting my dreams etc.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
3994 posts
3287 upvotes
Torontois @ 宇宙中心
fogetmylogin wrote: I agree in cases of abuse or infidelity but many divorces now are about him picking up his socks or money issues or supporting my dreams etc.
Ahh yes, the no-fault clause. Think I saw someone cheat on the dude and was still entitled to half his stuff & the kids. They say the church frowns upon it, but the law doesn't. I figure the aggressor should not be entitled to anything. Anyway, not my domain lol. All I can say is good luck to all in this high-risk venture.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6557 posts
8314 upvotes
GTA
Cnsr0033 wrote: My Partner used a mediator with her ex. I personally think it was the best thing to happen from him. They didnt go to court and she doesn't hound him for child support or anything. All that was agreed from what I understand is that he gets the kid every other weekend and he has to pay child support (which he doesnt lol). Considering what a lawyer can do, I'd go the mediator route. But you know your ex. Also.. im sorry about the divorce.
What a great Dad! /s His kids will remember it when they are old enough to understand.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
6295 posts
2526 upvotes
BuddyBobby wrote: any recommendations on divorce lawyers in the GTA area?
My god all u self centered people just talking about what u want to talk about, giving life advice like u know everything, while completely avoiding OP question.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2010
1539 posts
774 upvotes
toronto
$150 per hour...
i believe its approx $350 per hour for Family Law

OP dont know if your employer has employee assistance program...if so,,,could call the line, and they would recommend one for a fair price,,remember approx 5 years ago,,went this route,,and when told wife,,she mentioned your lawyer rate was alot lower,,,we never had to use the lawyer,,as we made it through the rough patch,,,it was a consulation with lawyer 30 minutes free
BenKlaar wrote: OP seems male. If so, look for a female lawyer who can cut through the wife's possible emotional drama. Don't argue over knick-knacks and furniture at $150+ per hour.

Divorce is no fun but if you're fair to each other in the split of assets, it will be less painful.
No advertising in avatars or sigs
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
4116 posts
4018 upvotes
Toronto
New year, New wife, Half the assets
To the moon
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2141 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
Divorced last year and whew, nothing better than new life. But she was smart enough to accept my deal and not to go through lawyers. Oh yeah, they are all $400-$600/h