• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2021 2:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2003
1152 posts
344 upvotes

DIY Artificial Grass

I have a strip of soil between our property fence and a privacy screen that grows weeds and I want to cover it with artificial grass. It's not an area someone would walk on, but it's quite visible as you enter our backyard, so I want to have something there that is low maintenance but would keep out weeds. Instead of paving it, I was thinking of doing artificial grass and didn't want to spend too much. The area is about 25ft long by 4ft wide. Any places that you recommend I buy the grass from? The one from costco is over $1000 for that size and I'm seeing about $500 at walmart.
4 replies
Aug 22, 2009
581 posts
139 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Just FYI, you'll need more than just the artificial turf, but you'll also need to prepare the area by excavating about 5" and then compacting in 3" of gravel and 2" of limstone. It's similar effort to doing interlock (and similar prep process). I'm in the middle of a DIY project myself :) I was going to buy my turf from Rymar (supposed to be good quality) through a local landscaping company, and I think it's roughly $5/SQF but it comes in a 15FT wide roll.
Last edited by VifferFun on May 17th, 2021 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1414 posts
1143 upvotes
GTA
GPS wrote: I was thinking of doing artificial grass and didn't want to spend too much. The area is about 25ft long by 4ft wide. Any places that you recommend I buy the grass from? The one from costco is over $1000 for that size and I'm seeing about $500 at walmart.
As @VifferFun stated, its basically the same effort of putting in pavers and you're looking at similar costs.

For something low cost, easy, and looks decent, have you thought about putting in pea gravel on filter fabric with some flag stone or other stepping stones if needed.

PS - Don't screw up your side yard grading and drainage.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2003
1152 posts
344 upvotes
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: As @VifferFun stated, its basically the same effort of putting in pavers and you're looking at similar costs.

For something low cost, easy, and looks decent, have you thought about putting in pea gravel on filter fabric with some flag stone or other stepping stones if needed.

PS - Don't screw up your side yard grading and drainage.
Thanks, we have pea gravel on the other side of the area where we store the outdoor watersport items, but the weeds keep growing through. And this was professionally done. On the side that is now just soil, I could do the same and just live with the weeds poking through but thought the grass would be nicer looking. No one needs to step on this stuff. It's just for visual reasons I'm finishing it. Is pouring down pea gravel significantly less work and cheaper to DIY grass?
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1414 posts
1143 upvotes
GTA
GPS wrote: Thanks, we have pea gravel on the other side of the area where we store the outdoor watersport items, but the weeds keep growing through. And this was professionally done. On the side that is now just soil, I could do the same and just live with the weeds poking through but thought the grass would be nicer looking. No one needs to step on this stuff. It's just for visual reasons I'm finishing it. Is pouring down pea gravel significantly less work and cheaper to DIY grass?
To do turf properly you basically need to put in the same base that you would for pavers. So that's a lot of material to remove, import and compact. For Pea Gravel you really just throw down some filter fabric and put the gravel on top. You could dig down a bit if you so felt inclined, but might not be needed.

A ton of pea gravel costs like $40, and a sizeable roll of filter fabric costs $50, so it's going to be a lot cheaper compared to any decent turf with all the base work.

For most pea gravel/river stone/etc, if you have the good filter fabric, the weeds are really just from stuff being blown on top. So ultimately it will come down to maintenance. It's probably less likely that stuff will get stuck and build up in turf though.