• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2020 2:59 pm
[OP]
Apr 8, 2010
733 posts
379 upvotes
toronto

diy ceramic coating

Looking into ceramic coatings and wondering if anyone has gone the diy route and if so, which product did you use?
17 replies
Jan 22, 2017
245 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
Not a direct answer to your question but I think they will all be very similar.

Hardest/ most important part is the prep stage; decontamination, wash, polish etc.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
13309 posts
7648 upvotes
Toronto
cquartz, very important to do it on a 'perfected' paint job, aka, brand new car, or less than 2000kms. Paint inconsistencies will need to be dealt with first. If you have a garage, you'll need it. If not, cloudy but not a windy day. Isn't hard, but isn't great outdoors. 24-48 hours to cure.
Jan 28, 2020
54 posts
25 upvotes
you coating rims or your whole car ?
[OP]
Apr 8, 2010
733 posts
379 upvotes
toronto
koffey wrote: cquartz, very important to do it on a 'perfected' paint job, aka, brand new car, or less than 2000kms. Paint inconsistencies will need to be dealt with first. If you have a garage, you'll need it. If not, cloudy but not a windy day. Isn't hard, but isn't great outdoors. 24-48 hours to cure.
car is 48yrs old and will be doing the whole paint correction this spring. clay, compound, polish etc and just looking at ways to keep it shiny after putting in all this work into it.
thank you, i'll look into cquartx
kchaan wrote: you coating rims or your whole car ?
you got me thinking.. was just planning on doing the car but now maybe the rims... it's got wire wheels so wondering if ceramic would even work on it. it's painted steel so again, not sure if i can

edit: just want to add that the car is in the garage and only driven in nice weather so not even sure it's worth the effort for ceramic.. maybe just wax would suffice?
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2005
1708 posts
207 upvotes
BC
I used this on my car when it was new, it is 2 years old now. I would say it is pretty good for what i paid for. it cost as much as a chemical guys sealant. Process much longer. My car was pretty new, so didnt do much prep prior to application

https://avalonking.com/

ships from canada and often goes on sale.. i paid $50 for mine. I used 1 bottle for my Type R. i used another bottle for a tesla 3. When you start doing this, you will start finding build quality flaws on a tesla compared to a civic.
Last edited by oldsnail on Mar 4th, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12206 posts
583 upvotes
Toronto
denti72 wrote: edit: just want to add that the car is in the garage and only driven in nice weather so not even sure it's worth the effort for ceramic.. maybe just wax would suffice?
This is a big part of it. Ceramic coatings may help keep the car cleaner, longer, and also help speed the car wash process, but I would consider a standard wax in this case.
Deal with it.
Jan 28, 2020
54 posts
25 upvotes
denti72 wrote:
you got me thinking.. was just planning on doing the car but now maybe the rims... it's got wire wheels so wondering if ceramic would even work on it. it's painted steel so again, not sure if i can

edit: just want to add that the car is in the garage and only driven in nice weather so not even sure it's worth the effort for ceramic.. maybe just wax would suffice?
Just coat the rims then. easier to wash off mud or dirt that can accumulate over time
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1040 posts
451 upvotes
Just got a new car, and will be applying Paint Protection Film to the front-end, and while I consider DIY ceramic, I'm going to stick with the tried and true sealant/polymer wax approach.

I considered DIY ceramic, but tried and true paint sealant/polymer waxes applied just twice per year would be just as effective for my garage parked car. And while there is lots of info on the pros of ceramic, not too many mention the cons (other than cost of professionally applied).

A couple of balanced sources. This video (posted by a detailer who does do lots ceramic coatings) explains ceramic vs wax and key pros and cons.

And here's some pros and cons from a car enthusiast who a keen detailer, and has done DIY ceramic on one car and likes it, but will not do it on his other car.
https://canadiangearhead.com/paint-prot ... -worth-it/

Combining some key points from the two sources above:
  • The beauty of a paint sealant is that it offers great protection while being easy to remove, and cheap to replace. For example: You notice a few light scratches on your driver’s door. A mobile detailer can come and buff these out and re-seal the area in a matter of minutes. He can even do it outside in your driveway. Good luck doing that with a ceramic coated vehicle.
  • ceramic coated will get less scratches and swirls than cars with only wax or sealant, but all cars will get some scratches and dings. These are easier to correct with the tried and true sealant/polymer wax approach.
My cars are garaged parked, and I enjoy applying sealant/polymer wax once in awhile (but not too often!) -- twice per year application is more than enough to give my car good protection.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2005
1708 posts
207 upvotes
BC
multimut wrote: Just got a new car, and will be applying Paint Protection Film to the front-end, and while I consider DIY ceramic, I'm going to stick with the tried and true sealant/polymer wax approach.

I considered DIY ceramic, but tried and true paint sealant/polymer waxes applied just twice per year would be just as effective for my garage parked car. And while there is lots of info on the pros of ceramic, not too many mention the cons (other than cost of professionally applied).

A couple of balanced sources. This video (posted by a detailer who does do lots ceramic coatings) explains ceramic vs wax and key pros and cons.

And here's some pros and cons from a car enthusiast who a keen detailer, and has done DIY ceramic on one car and likes it, but will not do it on his other car.
https://canadiangearhead.com/paint-prot ... -worth-it/

Combining some key points from the two sources above:
  • The beauty of a paint sealant is that it offers great protection while being easy to remove, and cheap to replace. For example: You notice a few light scratches on your driver’s door. A mobile detailer can come and buff these out and re-seal the area in a matter of minutes. He can even do it outside in your driveway. Good luck doing that with a ceramic coated vehicle.
  • ceramic coated will get less scratches and swirls than cars with only wax or sealant, but all cars will get some scratches and dings. These are easier to correct with the tried and true sealant/polymer wax approach.
My cars are garaged parked, and I enjoy applying sealant/polymer wax once in awhile (but not too often!) -- twice per year application is more than enough to give my car good protection.
I also did a PPF. There are usually 2 main players - 3m and xpel. i chose 3m and did the front clip. i then applied ceramic myself on the ppf and the rest of the car myself
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9970 posts
2047 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I have used the following ceramic coatings on cars,

- Cquartz UK
- cquartz UK 3.0
- Cquartz (regular version)
- Gyeon Pure
- Gtechniq Crystal Syrum Light & Exo v4

Out of all of those the best one that actually lasted through a winter (wont effect you here but shows that its a better/stronger/longer lasting coating) was Gtechniq! It was the easiest to apply and easiest to remove compared to the others. You can find it here - https://carzilla.ca/collections/brand-g ... l-kit-50ml

If you decide to go with a wax route instead then I highly recommend Collinite waxs as they are one of the best around. This would be the best one I would recommend to you as its supposed to be a bit more glossy looking - https://carzilla.ca/collections/brand-c ... gance-12oz
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
9465 posts
4195 upvotes
6ix
sickcars wrote: I have used the following ceramic coatings on cars,

- Cquartz UK
- cquartz UK 3.0
- Cquartz (regular version)
- Gyeon Pure
- Gtechniq Crystal Syrum Light & Exo v4

Out of all of those the best one that actually lasted through a winter (wont effect you here but shows that its a better/stronger/longer lasting coating) was Gtechniq! It was the easiest to apply and easiest to remove compared to the others. You can find it here - https://carzilla.ca/collections/brand-g ... l-kit-50ml

If you decide to go with a wax route instead then I highly recommend Collinite waxs as they are one of the best around. This would be the best one I would recommend to you as its supposed to be a bit more glossy looking - https://carzilla.ca/collections/brand-c ... gance-12oz
Any recommendations for wheels ceramic coating?
Koodo $40 8GB
Nov 7, 2016
882 posts
375 upvotes
Ontario
denti72 wrote: car is 48yrs old and will be doing the whole paint correction this spring. clay, compound, polish etc and just looking at ways to keep it shiny after putting in all this work into it.
thank you, i'll look into cquartx
Is it single stage paint? Some ceramic coatings don't do well and can go blotchy/streak on single stage I've been told (we were going to do a friends old Porsche, but decided not to.)
If its little used car, stick with the paint correction and a good wax imho.
·Ï¢årµ§·