• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2021 2:43 am
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 8, 2019
17 posts
4 upvotes

DIY drywall reno

Hey rfd'ers, looking for some advice-had my hot water tank replaced a few months ago and the fitters had to cut a patch of drywall to get it out.

Any suggestions for a cost effective way to patch back? The piece is cut pretty clean so could I simply place it back (nail it to some wood in the back) and seal it back?

Im not very handy so not sure what product Id need to buy but id like to give it a shot

Thanks in advance!
Images
  • 20210605_112025.jpg
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1197 posts
912 upvotes
Find some scrap wood to use as blocking to attach to the existing studs.

Buy some drywall screws to screw the piece to that blocking.

Tape and mud to finish. Watch some Vancouver Carpenter videos on YouTube as required.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1015 posts
481 upvotes
Longueuil
It might be an opportunity to install a small access door for easy access in the future instead of drywall.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
[OP]
Dec 8, 2019
17 posts
4 upvotes
JEDI Force wrote: It might be an opportunity to install a small access door for easy access in the future instead of drywall.
Yes you are right an access door would be a better long term option. Sorry if this sounds silly but are there ready access panels that I can buy from the big box hardware stores that can just be affixed to the drywall? Or theres a level of framing thats needed?
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1015 posts
481 upvotes
Longueuil
There are prebuilt access door/panel that you can buy (you simply install it using the sides of the drywall) but usually they are smaller (12 x 12 inches is probably the biggest). I think you would need to frame a small door.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2837 posts
1596 upvotes
Mississauga
Why is your water tank behind a wall. Is it a house of a condo. I would strongly suggest a door there.
Jan 21, 2011
640 posts
271 upvotes
GTA
You can use the same piece of drywall to make an access door. There is a u shape channel that covers the edge of drywall, don’t know the proper name. You would do it on the wall and the loose piece as well. It looks better taped but not necessary. You would have to put some pieces of wood to rest the piece of drywall against. If you use a handle, you can use Velcro tape or screws with finishing washers.

Look up metal j trim
Mar 24, 2009
73 posts
58 upvotes
KW
lamin wrote: You can use the same piece of drywall to make an access door. There is a u shape channel that covers the edge of drywall, don’t know the proper name. You would do it on the wall and the loose piece as well. It looks better taped but not necessary. You would have to put some pieces of wood to rest the piece of drywall against. If you use a handle, you can use Velcro tape or screws with finishing washers.

Look up metal j trim
I think you’re referring to J-moulding.