I have been debating on whether or not to install a water softener. My water's hardness is 10 grains per gallon, which is greater than the 7 recommended by some. I am familiar with the pros and cons
- Prevents build-up of minerals on the inside of pipes, fixtures, etc.
- Lengthens the life of some appliances.
- Reduces mineral spots on glassware.
- Reduces soap films and detergent curds in sinks, bathtubs, and washing machines etc.
- Potential health effects from additional sodium.
- Impacts to the environment from use of salt.
- Waste more water to regenerate the softener beads.
What are other GTA homeowner thoughts on this? Is it worth the money?