• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2021 10:43 am
[OP]
Nov 23, 2011
760 posts
810 upvotes
West GTA

DIY Home Alarm System

I am looking for options for a smart home system that I can install myself, that will function like a conventional alarm system. I see lots of options online that will send a notification to your phone when a door or window is opened, but I am hoping for something that will have an audible chime/beep when a door is opened instead of relying on notifications on your phone.

Any recommendations would be great!
6 replies
Jul 25, 2013
288 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
mickman wrote: I am looking for options for a smart home system that I can install myself, that will function like a conventional alarm system. I see lots of options online that will send a notification to your phone when a door or window is opened, but I am hoping for something that will have an audible chime/beep when a door is opened instead of relying on notifications on your phone.

Any recommendations would be great!
ring alarm system should meet your needs, there is a notification and an audible chime
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7513 posts
8080 upvotes
Vancouver
Ring (owned by Amazon) and Google Nest have full alarm systems, but they're expensive, both to buy and in monthly subscription fees, and dependent on your internet connection. You can buy similar components cheaper from dozens of other suppliers, and integrate them yourself without the subscription fees and with the option of local control, but it's more complex.

Basically you want door/window sensors (+ maybe a motion sensor?), a smart speaker or two, and a home automation control system or service where you can program your setup. Maybe add a camera so you can see remotely what's going on, and some lights that turn on automatically when there's an alarm?

For local control you need a smart hub, which can be purchase as a product like Hubitat or one you set up yourself using something like Home Assistant. Otherwise there are lots of internet services that assist with home automation, both free and subscription (e.g. IFTTT), But the drawback they all share is that they depend on the internet connection and internet servers. If your connection goes down (or someone cuts the cable), or the service is temporarily offline, your automation won't work.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2015
1462 posts
1219 upvotes
Durham Region
Wyze has a couple items and tend to be on less expensive side
[OP]
Nov 23, 2011
760 posts
810 upvotes
West GTA
Thanks for the replies!

Basically I would like an audible chime when a door is opened or closed (my son is getting to that age where he is quick and sneaky, and we have a pool). Having smart features as well that I can integrate into a home security system and check on my phone would be an added bonus.

I've seen the Wyze and Ring systems, but if I understand correctly, they all funnel through your smart home system (WiFi) to use a smart speaker to complete the audible chime?
Jul 25, 2013
288 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
mickman wrote: Thanks for the replies!

Basically I would like an audible chime when a door is opened or closed (my son is getting to that age where he is quick and sneaky, and we have a pool). Having smart features as well that I can integrate into a home security system and check on my phone would be an added bonus.

I've seen the Wyze and Ring systems, but if I understand correctly, they all funnel through your smart home system (WiFi) to use a smart speaker to complete the audible chime?
for the ring the audible chime comes from the base station, i have a google home but ring is only compatible with the alexa but hasn't been an inconvenience
[OP]
Nov 23, 2011
760 posts
810 upvotes
West GTA
Infiniti2011 wrote: for the ring the audible chime comes from the base station, i have a google home but ring is only compatible with the alexa but hasn't been an inconvenience
I am on the Google home system as well, so that's good to hear.

I will have to look more into the Ring system, thanks for your feedback!