Home & Garden

DIY Home Security System (Video Cameras)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2015 11:19 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 5, 2009
31 posts
2 upvotes

DIY Home Security System (Video Cameras)

Hi all. I know this topic has come up in the past, but I don't think my questions were answered 100% so I decided to start a new one to pick your brains.

I'm looking to install some wireless outdoor security cameras at my home. I am looking for something that is non-subscription based, but that I can access online and on iOS.

Has anyone done anything like this recently that can shed some light on what cameras may be a good fit for this. I would probably start with one camera and see how it goes before adding additional ones.

Thanks in advance!
12 replies
Jun 21, 2007
978 posts
220 upvotes
Milton, ON
I have a Foscam FI8904W outdoor camera. I've had it for couple of years. They're not too expensive. Mine runs over WI-FI and I use my Synology network drive to keep record of events.
Apr 14, 2006
862 posts
98 upvotes
Ontario
I just picked up the Netgear Arlo home security system from Bestbuy and installed it last week. The install was simply drilling 1 pilot hole and using tapcon screws for the mount.

http://arlo.com/en-us/

These are completely wireless cameras that run on CR123A batteries(4-6 months with average use battery life)

You get 7 days of cloud storage that overwrites the first day on the 8th day all for free. You can pay for more storage and more days but that would involve a monthly fee to Netgear. You can access your cameras live, setup schedules, view & manage recordings all via the iOS or Android App. There is also a desktop browser app that you can do all the same stuff with.

Videos record at 720p and are pretty clear for the purposes that I was looking for.
[OP]
Apr 5, 2009
31 posts
2 upvotes
Trowa wrote: I just picked up the Netgear Arlo home security system from Bestbuy and installed it last week. The install was simply drilling 1 pilot hole and using tapcon screws for the mount.

These are completely wireless cameras that run on CR123A batteries(4-6 months with average use battery life)

You get 7 days of cloud storage that overwrites the first day on the 8th day all for free. You can pay for more storage and more days but that would involve a monthly fee to Netgear. You can access your cameras live, setup schedules, view & manage recordings all via the iOS or Android App. There is also a desktop browser app that you can do all the same stuff with.

Videos record at 720p and are pretty clear for the purposes that I was looking for.
What worries me about the Arlo is that is says operating temperature is -10C to 50C. We always dip below -10C so what happens then?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-K ... /ta-p/1705
Jul 4, 2015
105 posts
14 upvotes
ON
Trowa wrote: I just picked up the Netgear Arlo home security system from Bestbuy and installed it last week. The install was simply drilling 1 pilot hole and using tapcon screws for the mount.

They look great! The only issue I could see is, they seem to be easy to just remove if someone wanted to?
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
783 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Wireless like these suck especially for outdoor. If you put it somewhere easy someone can steal it. Not only that but if you put it on your roof it will be a royal pain in the ass to take it down and change the battery every few months.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
477 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
These Arlo cameras are also Wifi 2.4 GHz. They are going to kill your wifi network with 4 cameras.

They are also battery powered. Battery power and constant winter cold are not a good thing.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Feb 20, 2011
618 posts
201 upvotes
downtown TO
i was also looking at these but really what use are they if they dont trigger an alarm if someones trys break into ur house
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
477 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
irishguy wrote: i was also looking at these but really what use are they if they dont trigger an alarm if someones trys break into ur house
You would not use any sort of camera for that. Otherwise you would be getting notified about every spider that crawls in front of the lens.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Dec 7, 2008
116 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto

Really simple product, but I'm also concerned about a few things:

1) Batteries. Amazon sells these things for $10 each! Each camera needs 4...and goes through them in 4-6 months. That's a lot of money.
2) Data - as was already mentioned, this could really eat into your monthly bandwidth
3) Operating temperature for Canadian winters.
Apr 14, 2006
862 posts
98 upvotes
Ontario
hotsnacks wrote: They look great! The only issue I could see is, they seem to be easy to just remove if someone wanted to?
Not if you put them high enough where a typical person cannot reach the unit.

Also by the time someone pulls it down you have their face on camera.
Apr 14, 2006
862 posts
98 upvotes
Ontario
robbieD wrote: Really simple product, but I'm also concerned about a few things:

1) Batteries. Amazon sells these things for $10 each! Each camera needs 4...and goes through them in 4-6 months. That's a lot of money.
2) Data - as was already mentioned, this could really eat into your monthly bandwidth
3) Operating temperature for Canadian winters.
1 - Buy rechargeables and you're golden
2 - I didn't see a huge increase in my data usage
3 - This could be a potential problem that I have yet to experience.
Jul 4, 2015
105 posts
14 upvotes
ON
Trowa wrote: Not if you put them high enough where a typical person cannot reach the unit.

Also by the time someone pulls it down you have their face on camera.
Well having a bungalow, I don't really have much height. :(

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)