• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2018 12:54 am
[OP]
Aug 11, 2011
444 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto

DIY Muffler Install - How hard is it?

Say you have 0 experience in replacing anything on your car before - would you take a chance and try to install a new muffler? How hard is it?
Also, has anyone bought from a wholesaler before and is it worth it? Example - https://mufflerexpress.ca/collections/pipes-acura
prices look legit.

Doable or nay? thx
47 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16408 posts
5145 upvotes
London
Nay, knuckle busting for a novice without the right tools

From the looks of your part, I’m guessing that the back of the flex pipe separated from exhaust pipe?

It’s an easy fix for a good welder at an exhaust shop.
Last edited by l69norm on Feb 20th, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14859 posts
9254 upvotes
Toronto
No. If you haven't done anything before, big no, this isn't lego.

Just get it done at a shop or your mechanic. Hot Rod Scotts in Etobicoke is excellent value.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3807 posts
21118 upvotes
It's not worth the headache no matter how simple it sounds.

If the exhaust was an ikea cabinet then I would say go for it.

If you have some tools (just off the top of my head, wrench set, jack, jack stands, pb-blaster or some sort of rust removing catalyst, hammer, possibly a hand held blow torch, bandages, garage to store your car in while the work is being done) and the willingness to tackle this on your own, I would say go for it. I also depends on which part you are replacing, if it's just the axleback it's shouldn't be too time consuming but an cat-back is big any heavy and needs to be installed in pieces usually more cursing and man hours involved.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2169 posts
678 upvotes
Montreal
I wouldn't get into that job...

I have an independent muffler shop near my place that does a really good job. They don't charge much.

You'll have to deal with rusted out bolts and retainers, hard to install parts, crawling under the car.

Find a good muffler shop...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35645 posts
21730 upvotes
Center of Universe
If it's a direct bolt-on, it can be done fairly easily.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6402 posts
2067 upvotes
BC
MikeTO2 wrote: Say you have 0 experience in replacing anything on your car before - would you take a chance and try to install a new muffler? How hard is it?
Also, has anyone bought from a wholesaler before ......
1. Getting the old muffler off and cleaning up the connecting pipe would be your main challenge. The connecting pipe may be shot anyway so you will not get a gas-tight seal.
Might be doable for a novice if your car is an old rear-engined VW with easy access, but most other cars will be difficult.
Are you comfortable with knowing the difference between a resonator and a muffler?

2. What makes you think muffler express is a wholesaler? If they sell to you they are not a wholesaler. Looks like importer of Chinese exhaust parts.
Even a muffler designated to be an OEM copy would probably turn out to not fit satisfactorily.

Let the pros do it for you.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2883 posts
1188 upvotes
GTA
If you have never done anything on a car before, it's involved. Not hard, but involved.
IE: you'll likely need to lift up the car with a jack.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5502 posts
3020 upvotes
Toronto
I have done exhaust work on my new car and it's so easy compared to my old rust bucket. As said before, your main challenge is to remove the old rusted bolts.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8550 posts
2325 upvotes
Mississauga
vkizzle wrote: If it's a direct bolt-on, it can be done fairly easily.
Even the bolt on type require heat and can be a pain in the butt. I bet 90% of the DIY on this site don't do their own exhaust and pay somebody else to do it. Plus the labor charge on the exhaust is usually cheaper than the parts so not saving much by DIY.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35645 posts
21730 upvotes
Center of Universe
antigua1999 wrote: Even the bolt on type require heat and can be a pain in the butt. I bet 90% of the DIY on this site don't do their own exhaust and pay somebody else to do it. Plus the labor charge on the exhaust is usually cheaper than the parts so not saving much by DIY.
Had no problems with the vehicles own and one of them I even swapped out the headers!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8550 posts
2325 upvotes
Mississauga
vkizzle wrote: Had no problems with the vehicles own and one of them I even swapped out the headers!
If you recall op asked if you have no experience working on cars would you attempt to change your own muffler. This shouldn't be his first diy.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35645 posts
21730 upvotes
Center of Universe
antigua1999 wrote: If you recall op asked if you have no experience working on cars would you attempt to change your own muffler. This shouldn't be his first diy.
Gotta start somewhere...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8550 posts
2325 upvotes
Mississauga
vkizzle wrote: Gotta start somewhere...
That is not where you start. Just because you think you can do everything don't encourage anybody to do things they shouldn't be doing. You start with changing your oil and build up from that.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
10029 posts
4163 upvotes
I just don't think the savings are with the effort.

If the rest of the exhaust is in good shape a reputable muffler shop ( heck even midas) can swap a muffler in no time, for relatively cheap. They may even have a better price on the mufflers too, as they buy wholesale.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35645 posts
21730 upvotes
Center of Universe
antigua1999 wrote: That is not where you start. Just because you think you can do everything don't encourage anybody to do things they shouldn't be doing. You start with changing your oil and build up from that.
Are freaken kidding me?
You dare to suggest a first timer to do an oil change, which can render a vehicle useless; but to avoid a muffler swap and we're talking just the muffler and no mid pipe.
If he Fs-up the muffler, the vehicle can still be driven to the shop...what happens if he strips the drain plug or doesn't tighen the oil filter properly?...FOH!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8550 posts
2325 upvotes
Mississauga
vkizzle wrote: Are freaken kidding me?
You dare to suggest a first timer to do an oil change, which can render a vehicle useless; but to avoid a muffler swap and we're talking just the muffler and no mid pipe.
If he Fs-up the muffler, the vehicle can still be driven to the shop...what happens if he strips the drain plug or doesn't tighen the oil filter properly?...FOH!
If anybody with a drivers license cant go online find some how to videos of changing oil and filter and change it successfully shouldn't ever attempt to fix anything on a car.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35645 posts
21730 upvotes
Center of Universe
antigua1999 wrote: If anybody with a drivers license cant go online find some how to videos of changing oil and filter and change it successfully shouldn't ever attempt to fix anything on a car.
How f-ing ironic is that.
It's okay to find DIY videos for an oil change, but OP should not attempt to swap a muffler...am I missing something???
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8550 posts
2325 upvotes
Mississauga
vkizzle wrote: How f-ing ironic is that.
It's okay to find DIY videos for an oil change, but OP should not attempt to swap a muffler...am I missing something???
Yes as usual you are missing something. If my count is accurate 7 other poster advised op to pay and get it done. You are the only one suggesting op give it a try. Oil changes are simple. End of story.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2787 upvotes
No, don't do it. Exhaust parts are always rusted together and difficult to remove without a torch and a lot force. What's very difficult for you is the work of a few minutes for a shop that can put your car up on the hoist and has the right tools. Cost savings not worth it.

So glad my car has a lifetime stainless steel exhaust system!