• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2020 11:23 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2005
2851 posts
246 upvotes

DIY products for Epoxy Gravel Pathway

I would like to redo about 70 ft of pathway in my front and back yards with an Epoxy Gravel solution.

I have found US products but unable to find Canadian equivalents.
https://www.paramountmaterials.com/coll ... gravel-lok

I know I can find a contractor to do it but I would prefer a DIY solution.
Does anyone know where I can get the epoxy for this?
My Heatware
4 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2005
2851 posts
246 upvotes
Well at least I got upvoted. I know at least one person here is looking for the same thing. I think.... :)
My Heatware
Feb 26, 2019
584 posts
626 upvotes
Ottawa
I have never used this product. But I have used epoxy for several other purposes (outside furniture finish, river cutting board, wood window restoration). Epoxy is amazing stuff, but you need to work very carefully. Your weather conditions need to be perfect if you are doing this outdoors. It must be warm and dry. Your mix ratio has to be perfect. You need to mix the 2 parts very well. If you get any of these things wrong, you will could have a huge mess on your hands. If any of these factors aren't quite right, your epoxy will not cure, and it will be sticky, gooey and tacky. I once had to throw an outdoor wood project in the wood chipper (figuratively), because my epoxy didn't set up just right (weather was a little too cool or I was a little short on the hardener... maybe a bit of both).

When it cures properly, it's amazing stuff. When it doesn't - its a nightmare.

Good luck and measure carefully.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2005
2851 posts
246 upvotes
dottawat wrote: I have never used this product. But I have used epoxy for several other purposes (outside furniture finish, river cutting board, wood window restoration). Epoxy is amazing stuff, but you need to work very carefully. Your weather conditions need to be perfect if you are doing this outdoors. It must be warm and dry. Your mix ratio has to be perfect. You need to mix the 2 parts very well. If you get any of these things wrong, you will could have a huge mess on your hands. If any of these factors aren't quite right, your epoxy will not cure, and it will be sticky, gooey and tacky. I once had to throw an outdoor wood project in the wood chipper (figuratively), because my epoxy didn't set up just right (weather was a little too cool or I was a little short on the hardener... maybe a bit of both).

When it cures properly, it's amazing stuff. When it doesn't - its a nightmare.

Good luck and measure carefully.
Thanks. There are DIY products in the US. Like Gravel-Lok
All they are really doing is firming up the surface gravel in some cases.
The base is held firm by some structural mesh like Core-Gravel

I can get the structural mesh but I can't find the same Epoxy products in Canada.
Very frustrating.

I know it won't last and probably needs reapplication after some time but I like the overall solution. Would be nice to find a way to do it myself.
My Heatware