Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3456 posts
591 upvotes
Hamilton

DIY Shelves for Lifetime/vinyl Shed?

Haven't even built my lifetime shed and but already looking at ways of customizing it. Shelf kits are expensive, $150 for a 3 shelf kit. Just wondering if someone has ever done something like this guy? Maybe a bit overkill but still is impressive looking.

8 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11283 posts
2732 upvotes
Kingston
All of the support for that shelving is the wood frame of the shed, which won't work with the lifetime shed.

This sort of resin shelving is often on sale at HD, Lowes, Rona, CT for $30. Holds up to 750lbs. I have these shelves with lots of paint cans and other reasonably heavy stuff and it has been good. Currently on sale at CT for $32.49 It is resin/plastic so it will hold up well out in a shed (anything metal will be prone to rust). It would be tough to build something out of wood for less.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9634 posts
5032 upvotes
Paris
My whole garage 2’ from the ceiling is 2x3 framing with OSB on top. I ended up helping my dad do it after I did my own.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3163 posts
2134 upvotes
Toronto
That dum-dum built a wood shed inside his plastic shed. He would have saved money if he had just built a proper wood shed in the first place. What he has now is a wood shed clad in plastic to make it look like a kid's playhouse.

Build a proper shed. It's easy, just as cheap as those plastic Barbie's playhouses for grown men and won't make you feel like an inadequate tool everytime you look at it.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
I've done this to my lifetime shed, but more like simpler shelving. I didn't frame the interior in 1x2 2x3 2x4. The idea in the video is kinda pointless, should have just built/bought a wooden shed.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3456 posts
591 upvotes
Hamilton
koffey wrote: I've done this to my lifetime shed, but more like simpler shelving. I didn't frame the interior in 1x2 2x3 2x4. The idea in the video is kinda pointless, should have just built/bought a wooden shed.
Any chance I could get a pic of what you did in yours?
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
adblink182 wrote: Any chance I could get a pic of what you did in yours?
Probably snap one for you tonight. I basically put together a shelf, almost like that plastic one above but wood and I screwed them into the walls.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
lol, not the best pic, but the entire wall is full of these, and I have the backs screwed into the walls which you can see in the photo.

Don't mind optimus and starscream. Boys were late getting home after a night on patrol.
Last edited by koffey on May 23rd, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯