Home & Garden

DIY: Simple Kitchen Organizers with Scrap Wood [Post 635]

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2020 5:38 pm
Feb 11, 2009
238 posts
64 upvotes
@PCShutters where did you buy your Grass Nova Pro Deluxe Drawer System? I'm looking for some drawers to buy eventually but can only seem to find distributors that sell commercially and not to individuals.

Thanks!
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
607 posts
796 upvotes
Toronto
steph3n wrote: @PCShutters where did you buy your Grass Nova Pro Deluxe Drawer System? I'm looking for some drawers to buy eventually but can only seem to find distributors that sell commercially and not to individuals.

Thanks!
I bought them from https://www.eurofitca.com/

Unfortunately they only sell to trades only.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
607 posts
796 upvotes
Toronto
I was in the process of making the doors for my cabinets when my refrigerator arrived so I switched gears and spent my entire weekend installing my 800lbs refrigerator instead. Moving it was no easy task. Just a little status update of where I am at...My kitchen is one step closer to completion Smiling Face With Open MouthFace With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

I am so glad I am going with the built-in version otherwise I would have no room to move around in my tiny kitchen. I am not sure about the "black stainless steel" colour tho. The boss picked that. Wasn't up to me Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
20000 posts
2824 upvotes
Niagara Falls
PCShutters wrote:
I am so glad I am going with the built-in version otherwise I would have no room to move around in my tiny kitchen. I am not sure about the "black stainless steel" colour tho. The boss picked that. Wasn't up to me Face With Tears Of Joy
Seems like you guys are cool with having mis-matching colours for appliances so it shouldn't be an issue. My wife got the LG version of that (much lighter) because she didn't want stainless steel. I love the look of it, but it basically means we have to get everything LG from now on unless we replace everything. Thankfully the only thing giving us any grief is the dishwasher and that's just because we have to close it a special way to make sure it's closed correctly.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
607 posts
796 upvotes
Toronto
Day 23 to 25 of Kitchen Build: Upper Cabinet Doors Build

I sort of lost track of the date count because of all of the distractions and back to only working on it at nights and Sundays.

I am will be making the upper cabinet doors out of maple because they take on paint really well and very durable.

Got all of my parts cut. I will make these doors slightly oversized so I can square and trim it down to exact sizes later. I am also making these with loose tenons instead of the cope ans stick doors because I have three little monkeys (**ahem I meant kids**) that like to hang on to the doors as if they are some sort of pull up bars.

Gluing up the frame for the doors

Taking the doors out of the clamps and check to see if they are flat. These doors are 1" thick. One of the perk of milling your own lumber--you don't have to go with the typical 3/4" doors.

Just for fun, I tested out the strength of these loose tenons with my clamp in the spreader mode. This is good quality clamp that can take up to 1800lbs and I couldn't break the joint loose. I gave up when I couldn't turn the handle any longer and the metal beam is starting to bow.

Because I will paint these doors, I am using 3/8" MDF for the inner panels because MDF also take paint really well.

Added a little square beaded detail to hold the MDF in place and dress up the door a bit.

Picked up some door handles for my kitchen

Four of the lower upper cabinets will have doors that swing up...

Dry fit all of the lower upper cabinet doors. I will put in frosted glass in these doors after painting.

And installed the rest of the upper cabinet doors.

Now that they are all fitted, I have to take them back down and prep it for paint...
Nov 9, 2011
912 posts
809 upvotes
Toronto
PCShutters wrote:
Looking at your posts made me want to update my kitchen - just wish I have the skills..

I kinda dig this dual tone cabinet doors!
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17049 posts
2144 upvotes
Out west
PCShutters wrote: Day 19 Kitchen Build: Prep and paint the upper cabinet carcass.

When it comes to painting, preparation is 90% of the work. Lucky for me, I already sanded most of the cabinets before assembling. My brother and I spent 5 hours taping up the cabinets as best as we could.

Once the taping is done, I went nut with the paint gun. Applied 2 coats of conversion vanish primer, 2 coats of catalyst white top coat and 2 coats of semi gloss clear. Painting in progress:

Once the heavy paints are dried to the touch, we proceed with removing all of the maskings and here are the latest pictures of the kitchen build.

Nice as all that is, I still dont understand the concept of knee height microwaves. We had one for a month and found it to be the biggest pain in the ass, so promptly installed an OTR one and got rid of the range hood. Is there a reason behind it besides for being accessible for people in wheel chairs?
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
607 posts
796 upvotes
Toronto
tonershop wrote: Looking at your posts made me want to update my kitchen - just wish I have the skills..

I kinda dig this dual tone cabinet doors!
Haha. Thanks but we already have enough mismatch colour in our kitchen as is.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
607 posts
796 upvotes
Toronto
WikkiWikki wrote: Nice as all that is, I still dont understand the concept of knee height microwaves. We had one for a month and found it to be the biggest pain in the ass, so promptly installed an OTR one and got rid of the range hood. Is there a reason behind it besides for being accessible for people in wheel chairs?
I know it will be a pain in the rear but we don't really have a choice. We don't want to sacrifice any counter space for the microwave because we have a small kitchen. We hate the OTR microwave because we need a real exhaust fan and not those poor excuse for a fan with the super loud motor that can't even suck up a thin piece of napkin.

Plus both my wife and I are "height challenged" so anything above the lower upper cabinet is not accessible without a step ladder.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17049 posts
2144 upvotes
Out west
PCShutters wrote: I know it will be a pain in the rear but we don't really have a choice. We don't want to sacrifice any counter space for the microwave because we have a small kitchen. We hate the OTR microwave because we need a real exhaust fan and not those poor excuse for a fan with the super loud motor that can't even suck up a thin piece of napkin.

Plus both my wife and I are "height challenged" so anything above the lower upper cabinet is not accessible without a step ladder.
Makes sense, although our GE Profile OTR vented outside for 11 years, and never had an issue. It probably was louder than a range hood fan, but it worked for venting like it should of
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
20000 posts
2824 upvotes
Niagara Falls
WikkiWikki wrote: Makes sense, although our GE Profile OTR vented outside for 11 years, and never had an issue. It probably was louder than a range hood fan, but it worked for venting like it should of
Perhaps there are some designed for it, but I don't think I'd trust a microwave vent over a gas range personally.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
607 posts
796 upvotes
Toronto
WikkiWikki wrote: Makes sense, although our GE Profile OTR vented outside for 11 years, and never had an issue. It probably was louder than a range hood fan, but it worked for venting like it should of
I guess you are not familiar with ethnic food. One table spoon of fish sauce or a pinch of curry is enough to stink up the house for days without proper exhaust fan. Why do you think Asian exhaust fans have such a high cfm rating? Anything less than 300cfm is a joke.
Last edited by PCShutters on Jun 22nd, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
607 posts
796 upvotes
Toronto
Evil Baby wrote: Perhaps there are some designed for it, but I don't think I'd trust a microwave vent over a gas range personally.
Exactly. Gas stove required a minimum 30” height clearance. Imagine mounting a OTR above that. I would need a ladder every time I want to use it. Plus it would be next to impossible to find a microwave that is 36” wide.
Apr 24, 2009
164 posts
217 upvotes
Ontario
Wow, OP....compliments to you & your attention to detail! Not many persons I know have that attention to detail and organization. Your wife is a lucky lady! I'm still trying to organize my garage...
Nov 9, 2011
912 posts
809 upvotes
Toronto
WikkiWikki wrote: Nice as all that is, I still dont understand the concept of knee height microwaves. We had one for a month and found it to be the biggest pain in the ass, so promptly installed an OTR one and got rid of the range hood. Is there a reason behind it besides for being accessible for people in wheel chairs?
Lots of people have a cooktop with oven below combo (range - oven and stove combo). I personally do not see any issue with bending down for the oven.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)