• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2020 10:39 am
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
644 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
Kitchen Pot and Pan Organizer on Pull-Out Rack

As my kitchen getting closer to completion, I have decided to check off some bucket list items.

A few years ago, I went to a home show and I saw a few neat kitchen organizer ideas that I wanted for my own kitchen one day. I took pictures of it and it has been on my mind ever since.

One organizer that stood out the most for me was this neat Pot & Pan Organizer from Glideware. I really like the idea so I decided to make it myself because Glideware wanted over $200 of each of these racks. This project cost me less than $50 (per rack) to make plus some scrap wood I already have.

For this project, you will need some wood (you can use some 2x materials if you want to keep the cost low), 3 pairs of hooks and 1 pair of drawer slides.

I will build my entire project out of ash because it is cheap and I already have it. Found this nice piece of wood in the corner of my basement that is perfect for this build

Because I only needed a small portion of that piece (1-3/4" x 2-1/4"). I made sure I get the rift-sawn portion of it. It looks better and it should have next to no wood movement.

Cut a 1/2" through dado with my router in the centre for the hooks to pass through and made a 1" recess for the hooks to sit flush on the other side

Cleaned it up and square up the corners

The enclosure of the slide is just a simple three pieces screwed together. I am using 20" slides so my enclosure is 2-1/2" H x 4-3/4" x 19-3/4".

Glue and screwed them all together and mounted it in my cabinet. I offset the racks in my cabinets so that I can get up to 12" pots/pans on the left and up to 16" on the right.

[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
644 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
Just noticed the hook I got from Amazon is no longer available. Found another one that will also do the trick...similar pricing too.

Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14115 posts
8525 upvotes
Toronto
slick drawer.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8436 posts
1223 upvotes
I made my own a few years ago too! My design was more complicated though as I don't have a dado blade and I couldn't source the hooks. I used "c" hooks and screwed them into little square blocks.

Ended up making a second one later on.

Cost was about the same as each slow close drawer slide was about $32.
Images
  • IMG_20160226_202608.jpg
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
644 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
Stock R wrote: I made my own a few years ago too! My design was more complicated though as I don't have a dado blade and I couldn't source the hooks. I used "c" hooks and screwed them into little square blocks.

Ended up making a second one later on.

Cost was about the same as each slow close drawer slide was about $32.
That is a pretty neat idea. I was going to make my own hooks too until I found those hooks on amazon. If I were to make it, I would not screw it into a block of wood. Block of wood of that size is very easy to split in half. I would use metal plates and tap my own thread.

$32 is crazy for a soft closing slides. I paid less than $15 for mine. Chinese soft close goes for about $5-7
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
644 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
Currently working on the drawer front for the lower cabinets. It is taking forever! I have 41 doors to make in total for this kitchen build.

Anyway. I was out shopping for the backsplash for this kitchen but couldn’t find anything I like. So I looked into custom waterjet tiles and found these ones that I think are acceptable but now I can’t decide which one would look best in my kitchen. I would love to hear your feedback. Thank you!
8B25778D-03C6-4356-8E1E-57F4E35E9822.jpeg
53C044B1-8C30-45BF-B30D-28BBFE37F0D9.jpeg
F851548C-F79B-41BC-8B73-4A5C49348DC0.jpeg
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16594 posts
6768 upvotes
PCShutters wrote: Anyway. I was out shopping for the backsplash for this kitchen but couldn’t find anything I like. So I looked into custom waterjet tiles and found these ones that I think are acceptable but now I can’t decide which one would look best in my kitchen. I would love to hear your feedback. Thank you!
Personally I think #2 is my favourite. I think #1 and #3 and a bit too "flowery" for my taste.

However I just wanted to reply to tell you I think you come up with many neat / new ideas. Just on this page alone with the waterjet cut tiles and pan holder - they are both things I had never heard of but seem great (especially the pan holder). Thanks for all the ideas!
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
644 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote: Personally I think #2 is my favourite. I think #1 and #3 and a bit too "flowery" for my taste.

However I just wanted to reply to tell you I think you come up with many neat / new ideas. Just on this page alone with the waterjet cut tiles and pan holder - they are both things I had never heard of but seem great (especially the pan holder). Thanks for all the ideas!
Thank you but to be honest, most of the ideas are not mine. Due to the nature of my job. I get to go to a lot of home shows and visited many high end homes all over southern part of Ontario from Windsor all the way to Ottawa. Being a hobby woodworker, I paid close attention to these details.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2628 posts
1109 upvotes
Mississauga
#2 will be my pick.

I generally like the tear drop shape in the lower half of #3 but the top half makes it seem like it will be too busy.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16594 posts
6768 upvotes
PCShutters wrote: Thank you but to be honest, most of the ideas are not mine. Due to the nature of my job. I get to go to a lot of home shows and visited many high end homes all over southern part of Ontario from Windsor all the way to Ottawa. Being a hobby woodworker, I paid close attention to these details.
Either way - thank you for sharing them. It's all new to me and I appreciate reading about it and seeing your builds!
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44577 posts
5143 upvotes
Richmond Hill
TrevorK wrote: Either way - thank you for sharing them. It's all new to me and I appreciate reading about it and seeing your builds!
Agreed, PCShutters is like our mini-home show :P
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Sep 25, 2003
271 posts
73 upvotes
Scarborough
Actually the slab that the tiles are resting on would make a nice backsplash.

Hard to visualize with a single tile. Will need to see a mock up with several tiles. How will grout fill in the the inlay pieces? It will change when grouted.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
644 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you all for your feedback. I actually like the 1st one best but I guess it is too busy/flowery. I have to continue looking then. No real rush to do the backsplash.

unfortunately, because it is "custom" they only give me one of each so I just have to imagine the pattern.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1401 posts
499 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I like the first one the best. The second looks like its from 1982, so I'd pass on that one.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
644 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
Benchcrafted Swing Away Seats

Due to the limited space we have in the kitchen, the kitchen peninsula will also double as the "Eat-In Kitchen Table". However, the side that we can seat is also a high traffic area so a conventional bar stool doesn't work there. My solution is to install Swing Away Seats so it will swing out of the way when not in use and we can clean the floor easier.

Before starting this project, I treated myself to a shinny new toy to replace my old Ridgid drill press. The Nova Viking--I couldn't be happier with this drill press. Nova Viking is the smaller version of the well known Nova Voyager. Time to put it to work.

I started by cutting three 14" circles out of baltic birch plywood. I cut these with a router and a homemade circle cutting jig. Then I took it to my new toy to drill some vent holes.

I then ease all of the edges with a small round-over bit on the router table

I then go gather all of the materials I need to make a seat cushion. I am using 2" rubber foam with 1/8" cotton batting.

10 minutes and hundreds of staples later, I have the seats. Layout the seats on the floor to get the proper spacing.

Mounted the brackets on the back of my cabinets with M12 Black Finish Heat Treated Alloy Steel bolts. I planned for this from the very beginning so I already put 3 layers of plywood there to support these seats.

Cleaned up the bottom of the seats a bit and mounted the seats.

Next step is to install some foot rest for these seats.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)