DIY: Wainscotting [Post 689]

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2020 4:28 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1653 posts
212 upvotes
East York, ON
PCShutters wrote: Hell no. The saving is no where near enough to offset the investment I put into the tools but that was never the intent. I like shinny new tools--it brings me joy every time I use them so it is worth it to me.

You can certainly do what I do with more affordable tools where the tools will pay for itself like my other hobby. I have spent about 10K on my mechanic tools and I easily saved over 100K+ with all of the cars I have been maintaining since the early 2000s.
I have done that math myself too and came to the conclusion that if I put money in high end tools which I could afford it won't make sense
If you own and run a business in a different area then the time problem kicks in and you lose more time=money by renovating yourself than paying someone to do it
Unfortunately I do not own a business in the real sense and the things still add for me to do certain renos myself.
The main reason for doing it myself is because I do not trust contractors ...not sure what happened with my damn house but every thing I touch and try to fix seems to have been done cutting corners,, the only strategy involved was "grab the money and run, never come back"

I also like woodworking and I am dreaming to do some of the work you did but I do not have as much time as I would like to put in this.
[external link removed, do not repost]
Dec 27, 2017
309 posts
127 upvotes
Fantastic work!
I would like to learn more about the plastic tiles in your garage, though. :) They look great.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
636 posts
827 upvotes
Toronto
eljay0 wrote: Fantastic work!
I would like to learn more about the plastic tiles in your garage, though. :) They look great.
@tonershop is correct. I used Gladiator garage floor tile. It’s a little expensive but it is by far one of the best investment I have put in my shop. It is so comfortable to walk on and I don’t have to worry about dropping my tools on the floor anymore.

The best part is, I can easily replace the damage tile without disturbing the other tiles around it so be sure to get a few extra tiles for future uses.

Another alternative would be

https://racedeck.com
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9166 posts
4698 upvotes
Paris
I did the drawer within a drawer as a retrofit in my junk builder kitchen. 100% awesome.
Dec 27, 2017
309 posts
127 upvotes
PCShutters wrote: @tonershop is correct. I used Gladiator garage floor tile. It’s a little expensive but it is by far one of the best investment I have put in my shop. It is so comfortable to walk on and I don’t have to worry about dropping my tools on the floor anymore.

The best part is, I can easily replace the damage tile without disturbing the other tiles around it so be sure to get a few extra tiles for future uses.

Another alternative would be

https://racedeck.com
Thank you. I was looking at RaceDeck, which is pricey, then at Costco tile from Plasti-Loc and, finally, I'm holding off until I can do porcelain tiles.
Sorry, don't want to derail the excellent kitchen thread.

Cheers.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
636 posts
827 upvotes
Toronto
eljay0 wrote: Thank you. I was looking at RaceDeck, which is pricey, then at Costco tile from Plasti-Loc and, finally, I'm holding off until I can do porcelain tiles.
Are you planning on putting porcelain tiles in your workshop? If so, that could be a little harsh on your back and tools if you drop them. Plus porcelain will break if you drop something hard enough on it and replacing it will not be easy.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
636 posts
827 upvotes
Toronto
I am currently in between projects...The kitchen is pretty much done...just a few more small items I need to take care of.

I was at my favourite hardware store yesterday when I saw this nice looking dish draining rack and thought it would look good in my kitchen so I bought it. Installed it in one of my upper cabinet. The fit is almost perfect. It can hold so much plates. Each slot can hold up to 4 plates.

Meanwhile, my brother & I decided to tackle one of the eyesore and underutilized area in his kitchen. The whole project took about 30 hours to do and it cost just under $500 in materials. Here is what we started with...

Cleaned up the mess and take proper measurements

With the measurements given to me, I sketch up the game plan with cut list.

Then proceed to build it...

Installed it in its final location

Sneak peak at my next project...So excited! can't wait to finish it.

Last edited by PCShutters on Aug 12th, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1184 posts
1024 upvotes
@PCShutters Is the dish drying rack supposed to go in a cabinet that closes? How is the moisture escaping/evaporating if the door is closed?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17623 posts
2223 upvotes
Out west
ProductGuy wrote: @PCShutters Is the dish drying rack supposed to go in a cabinet that closes? How is the moisture escaping/evaporating if the door is closed?
Im thinking he just uses it as a stand for dishes, not to actually dry dishes on. Like many homeowners, we find things for a certain use and use it for something completely different
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
636 posts
827 upvotes
Toronto
ProductGuy wrote: @PCShutters Is the dish drying rack supposed to go in a cabinet that closes? How is the moisture escaping/evaporating if the door is closed?
It is meant for cupboard with no doors but I like it there because I have been looking for a storage solution for my plates. I have a separate dish drying rack next to the sink. Only dried plates goes back in there. I installed a similar rack for my cups and bowls to elevate it up a bit so that the cups/bowls are not resting directly on the wooden cabinet shelf. Plus, it's not like these cabinets are "air tight". Any remaining moisture can escape and evaporate.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
636 posts
827 upvotes
Toronto
Insulate & Accessorize the "Mechanical Room"

My basement is unfinished and I don't know if I can ever find the time to finish it but this week I need to tackle the "Mechanical Room". As part of my kitchen build, I need to hook up the water line to the fridge and the sink but before I can hook it up, I need to install the water filter system for my house and this is what my brother and I did last weekend.

A few weeks ago, we kick-started the project with the tankless heater water system

We started by pulling off all of the cheap builder insulation

Installed the 2" foam board insulation on the wall directly onto the concrete wall with PL300. Taped all of the seams. I will go back later to fill in all of the gaps with foam spray from a can. Framed out the little window so I have some structure to strap all of the pipes and receptacles.

Installed the water softener

Installed the Reverse Osmosis System for our drinking water. One line will feed to the fridge and the other goes to the kitchen sink.

While at it, I also replaced the dirty old sink.

Feb 5, 2019
168 posts
150 upvotes
That slab of walnut is absolutely beautiful! I have a slab that needs flattening before turning it into an office station and seeing your picture is giving me motivation to get it finished.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)