DIY: Wainscotting [Post 689]

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2020 10:39 am
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
644 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
tonershop wrote: I don't think he used any veneer? His pricelist says plywood, mdf, maple, sapele, poplar and butternut woods
koffey wrote: I didn't bother to find out what wood was used for the trim so veneer, as it can be used to describe any wood, was my word of choice for whatever wood he used but I'll assume it's maple.

Thanks for pointing that out.

verb: veneer
cover (something) with a decorative layer of fine wood.
That's correct. I did used hard maple for the upper cabinet doors. A lot of people (@Jerico and @DoorCrasher for example) would crinch at the idea of painting hardwood like maple but not all wood are meant to be stained. Poplar takes on paint well but it is too soft and can't handle much abuse, maple are a lot more durable.

The decision to paint hardwood like maple is a lot easier when you have couple hundred bdft of it in your basement & shed at all times.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2631 posts
1114 upvotes
Mississauga
PCShutters wrote: My Hall Tree is finally done. All in all, it took 3 Sundays plus about 15 weeknights to complete. The drywall repair & wood slab took 2 weeks by itself waiting between coats. It cost $1,120 to build.

Here are the detailed cost breakdown:

Easily a $6000 entry way closet bench when hiring a pro. I know it can be done cheaper with IKEA or other MDF cabinets but the labour hours put in to make it look built in and part of the space can't be avoided.

Very nicely done.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9188 posts
4710 upvotes
Paris
PCShutters wrote: A lot of people (@Jerico and @DoorCrasher for example) would crinch at the idea of painting hardwood like maple but not all wood are meant to be stained.
Heretic. I’d burn you at the stake but you would make it out of Maple and then I’d be sad. :)

Also, where are you getting Maple at $3.75/bd foot?
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
644 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote: Heretic. I’d burn you at the stake but you would make it out of Maple and then I’d be sad. :)

Also, where are you getting Maple at $3.75/bd foot?
LOL

I bought it off a guy in Mississauga (found him on Kijiji). I literally bought a truck full of maple for $800 (over 250 bdft) and he threw in a few 12 quarters oak pieces for free. He was quite happy to get rid of the oak LOL

Exotic Woods in Burlington were selling the hard maple for $3.50 before the covid mess...not sure what their pricing is like now.
metricwoods in Mississauga are selling Hard Maple for $3.90 but they do have a minimum order quantity of 50bdft.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
644 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
bubuski wrote: Easily a $6000 entry way closet bench when hiring a pro. I know it can be done cheaper with IKEA or other MDF cabinets but the labour hours put in to make it look built in and part of the space can't be avoided.

Very nicely done.
Thank you. I wish I have a dedicated mudroom like you but this is the next best thing I guess.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44579 posts
5143 upvotes
Richmond Hill
PCShutters wrote: LOL

I bought it off a guy in Mississauga (found him on Kijiji). I literally bought a truck full of maple for $800 (over 250 bdft) and he threw in a few 12 quarters oak pieces for free. He was quite happy to get rid of the oak LOL

Exotic Woods in Burlington were selling the hard maple for $3.50 before the covid mess...not sure what their pricing is like now.
metricwoods in Mississauga are selling Hard Maple for $3.90 but they do have a minimum order quantity of 50bdft.
That must've been a sale price.. they're usually $4/bd for their hard maple shorts.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9188 posts
4710 upvotes
Paris
PCShutters wrote: LOL

As I looks my local place sells brown hard maple for $3.25/bdf. White is $4.40 but that is stain grade.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
644 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote: That must've been a sale price.. they're usually $4/bd for their hard maple shorts.
Yes, it must have been. I haven't have the need to buy any maple for a while now. Still trying to use up whatever I have left.

sleepyguy wrote: Wow, amazing work. Must be hard to sell and move if you ever decide to :)
Definitely. I planned to grow old in this house...I hate moving anyway.
Jerico wrote: As I looks my local place sells brown hard maple for $3.25/bdf. White is $4.40 but that is stain grade.
Yes, domestic wood like maple, oak, ash and poplar are still pretty affordable.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
644 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
Kitchen backsplash

When it comes to kitchen backsplash, I have been very indecisive. I can't seem to find anything I like. I must have visited over a dozen tile shops and after the fifth tile store, they all look the same to me. The places that have the tiles I like are either out of stock or they have very limited quantity. Finally, I decided to buy a few decor tiles and use the leftover tiles I already have for the rest of the kitchen.

This is my very first time installing backsplash for the kitchen so I don't want to put on something I will regret. I started by laying out the tiles on my counter to see if I can live with it.

Once, I am satisfied with the tiles, I went around and mark where the tiles will go. This is the last opportunity for me to move a few receptacles around as per @bubuski suggestion back in May. I also moved the thermostat so that it would not be in the middle of my decor tile.

Set in the first column of tiles, made sure it was level and plumb because every other tiles on this wall will depends on it.

Installed the rest of the tiles

Remove the wedge, cleaned up the grout lines and put in the grout & silicone all inside corners.

What do you guys think? I would love to hear some feedback. Did I made the right choice by using my leftover tiles in this kitchen? I saved a bundle by doing this btw. mosaic/decor tiles can get very expensive!
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14118 posts
8530 upvotes
Toronto
I have that same brownish tile in my basement bathroom. I love what you did but I grew tired of it fairly quick. Did the bathroom in 2017 and by 2019... ung. It didn't 'age' well.

Still love what you did with the flower. Nice.

Found a photo.... also, it was Jan 2016 not 2017....duh :)
Capture.JPG
Last edited by koffey on Sep 9th, 2020 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44579 posts
5143 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Are you planning to leave the side wall like that, or are you finishing the entire wall? I'm not sure I personally like the extra 3 tiles above the flower.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
644 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: I have that same brownish tile in my basement bathroom. I love what you did but I grew tired of it fairly quick. Did the bathroom in 2017 and by 2019... ung. It didn't 'age' well.

Still love what you did with the flower. Nice.

Found a photo.... also, it was Jan 2016 not 2017....duh :)

Capture.JPG
Ah yes. We have very similar tile colour but mine is a tad lighter and less lines. but I do see what you meant.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
644 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote: Are you planning to leave the side wall like that, or are you finishing the entire wall? I'm not sure I personally like the extra 3 tiles above the flower.
Yes, I am going to stop 3 tiles down because I think anything more than that will make my kitchen look to busy. Not trying to make my kitchen look like some a restaurant kitchen or a public bathroom lol
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14118 posts
8530 upvotes
Toronto
Question, is there a glossy finish on that flower? Looks very muted on your layout pic. Just wondering how it will hold up to cleaning and heat over the range. Also, it's cool. Where did you get it?
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)