Home & Garden

DIY: Wainscotting [Post 689]

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2020 10:39 am
Member
Sep 15, 2017
432 posts
396 upvotes
Saskatoon
PCShutters wrote: I build window shutters for a living. This is just a hobby for me--woodworking is my hobby but I always like to try out new things so I do a bit of everything (not good at anything).
I disagree. From what I've seen you have quite a knack for what you're doing. I wish I had those skills.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
11228 posts
6213 upvotes
Markham
Beautiful work on the window bench.

Fabricland pricing on some stuff is an absolute joke IMO. If you must buy stuff there somewhat regularly, perhaps pay for the "club".

https://fabricland.ca/sewingclub/sewingclub.php
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 5, 2011
644 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: Beautiful work on the window bench.

Fabricland pricing on some stuff is an absolute joke IMO. If you must buy stuff there somewhat regularly, perhaps pay for the "club".

https://fabricland.ca/sewingclub/sewingclub.php
I am not going back to Fabricland anytime soon. There are plenty of cheaper alternatives out there. Not going to let them rip me off again.
"fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me"
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 6, 2002
5753 posts
5908 upvotes
Toronto
If you have or will have cats, they will be very happy with that :D
A glass of wine with you, sir, and the ladies I'll enjoy.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 5, 2011
644 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
Christmas came early this year!!! I hope the wife doesn't find out or it could be my last Christmas Face With Tears Of Joy

Image

Comparing the sizes of the dust extractors

Image

Blend it in with the rest of my existing tools..."These old thing? They aren't new. It has always been there... :twisted: "

Image
Member
Feb 26, 2019
304 posts
271 upvotes
Ottawa
PCShutters wrote: Christmas came early this year!!! I hope the wife doesn't find out or it could be my last Christmas Face With Tears Of Joy

Image

Comparing the sizes of the dust extractors

Image

Blend it in with the rest of my existing tools..."These old thing? They aren't new. It has always been there... :twisted: "

Image
What’s with all the cordless drills? Why so many?
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 5, 2011
644 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
dottawat wrote: What’s with all the cordless drills? Why so many?
The same reason why I have 10 routers, 8 dust extractors, 11 sanders and an assortment of nailers. Because I am spoiled and too lazy to change out the bits so each drill/driver have their own dedicated drill bits and/or bit driver.

If I have more room, I would be like Frank Howarth and get three table saws: One for ripping, One for cross cut, and one for dado.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2908 posts
1500 upvotes
Mississauga
PCShutters wrote: The same reason why I have 10 routers, 8 dust extractors, 11 sanders and an assortment of nailers. Because I am spoiled and too lazy to change out the bits so each drill/driver have their own dedicated drill bits and/or bit driver.

If I have more room, I would be like Frank Howarth and get three table saws: One for ripping, One for cross cut, and one for dado.
Love it!!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
11228 posts
6213 upvotes
Markham
PCShutters wrote: Christmas came early this year!!! I hope the wife doesn't find out or it could be my last Christmas Face With Tears Of Joy

Image

Comparing the sizes of the dust extractors

Image

Blend it in with the rest of my existing tools..."These old thing? They aren't new. It has always been there... :twisted: "

Image
Wow. Just a minute while I pick up my jaw off the floor. Nice gear there. Do you sneak it in under your coat LOL.

You might want to check to make sure that house insurance has decent coverage.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44578 posts
5143 upvotes
Richmond Hill
PCShutters wrote: Christmas came early this year!!! I hope the wife doesn't find out or it could be my last Christmas Face With Tears Of Joy


Blend it in with the rest of my existing tools..."These old thing? They aren't new. It has always been there... :twisted: "

Ask for permission or beg for forgiveness??

Haha this came in this morning and I’m still thinking how I can hid this...
E4594B6B-76D9-44AA-A4E2-F850A5654A4C.jpeg
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 5, 2011
644 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: Wow. Just a minute while I pick up my jaw off the floor. Nice gear there. Do you sneak it in under your coat LOL.

You might want to check to make sure that house insurance has decent coverage.
Thanks for the tips. I will look into it :)
Member
Feb 26, 2019
304 posts
271 upvotes
Ottawa
What are the differences between those dust extractors - just the size?

Any feedback on which you prefer (asking for those of us who may be eyeing a festool vac but who can only get one, lol).
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 5, 2011
644 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote: Ask for permission or beg for forgiveness??

Haha this came in this morning and I’m still thinking how I can hid this...

E4594B6B-76D9-44AA-A4E2-F850A5654A4C.jpeg
That's easy. Put it to work & cover it in saw dust. It will look like you have it for years.

Did you buy it on Amazon Prime Day? I was going to recommend it to my brother in law but decided against it because their track does not share with any other track saw out there so there are very few accessories you can get for it. Just like the batteries platform, you are now stuck with only Bosch tools and accessories.

The track system and dust extraction are the main reason why I went with Festool. The track are very useful for many things from routing to cutting to drilling precise holes.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44578 posts
5143 upvotes
Richmond Hill
PCShutters wrote: That's easy. Put it to work & cover it in saw dust. It will look like you have it for years.

Did you buy it on Amazon Prime Day? I was going to recommend it to my brother in law but decided against it because their track does not share with any other track saw out there so there are very few accessories you can get for it. Just like the batteries platform, you are now stuck with only Bosch tools and accessories.

The track system and dust extraction are the main reason why I went with Festool. The track are very useful for many things from routing to cutting to drilling precise holes.
No, I was tempted during Prime Day, but it was still more expensive than importing it directly from UK via Axminster Tools.

Mississauga Hardware had a sale on Saturday for $699 with the track kit included for free. That threw it under what I'd pay to import it (all-in) and so I bought it. Sold out within a few hours. I posted it in the Hot Deals forum: mississauga-hardware-bosch-track-saw-fr ... n-2412683/

My thought process was that the tracks are the same system as Mafell, so if I want to splurge, I can always use their accessories :D And luckily, the clamps are universal, and they are slightly better priced if I again import them from Axminster Tools. The saw itself is also compatible with other tracks (Makita/Festool/etc.) so if your brother in law had bought just the saw itself he could have matched it with other tracks for the compatibility. Considering the price is basically equivalent to getting a Makita, on sale, with what I am getting (2x tracks, bag, hard case) I thought it was a no brainer - at this price I'm hoping I could get my money back if/when I want to get something else.

The Festool is still too rich for my blood. Even this one is, but I "need" it for a desk I'm building :lol:
Last edited by Jon Lai on Oct 27th, 2020 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 5, 2011
644 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
dottawat wrote: What are the differences between those dust extractors - just the size?

Any feedback on which you prefer (asking for those of us who may be eyeing a festool vac but who can only get one, lol).
If you can only get one, I would strongly recommend the CT26 or CT36. Don't bother with the mini/midi/Sys/CT15. Those smaller dust exactors are meant to be portable and designed to collect fine dust particle from sanding and occasional saw cuts.

If you are using it to vacuum up the floor or use it with your router, mitre saw or table saw. You need the full size vac.

Other than the obvious size difference, the smaller ones have slightly less CFM, comes with the non-antistatic hose, no bluetooth connectivity, no hose "garage" and no power cord management. Basically, it is Festool attempt to cut all costs possible to offer attractive pricing to lure people into the Festool family. Just like a few years ago, they offered one of their sander for only $129.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)