Health & Wellness

DIY washable masks with removable filter

Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
TomShopper wrote: Can you use Miels dust bag as filter?
Yes, new vacuum bags are another recommended source of filter material.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2013
1018 posts
344 upvotes
in a bubble
i know this is not 100% effective...but i have a few of these face shields , they are pretty long so was able to make 4 masks out of one shield. i just loop some elastic on each side & adjust to my face & sew the elastic together.

https://safishing.com/product-category/face-shield/ its better than nothing, plus since the fabric is doubled you can place a filter inside.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2013
1982 posts
1028 upvotes
Vancouver
As this goes on and 2nd, 3rd wave hit most people will be wearing mask when you leave their house to work, school, dine out etc etc One time use mask is just not a long term solution. They create too much waste, too expensive and there aren't enough supply. So having a reuseable mask that you can add a N95 filter inside is the best solution. Doesn't a cost a lot for the filter and each filter can be use for 3 to 5 days. Not to mention is less wasteful.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6230 posts
4829 upvotes
sponge5307 wrote: As this goes on and 2nd, 3rd wave hit most people will be wearing mask when you leave their house to work, school, dine out etc etc One time use mask is just not a long term solution. They create too much waste, too expensive and there aren't enough supply. So having a reuseable mask that you can add a N95 filter inside is the best solution. Doesn't a cost a lot for the filter and each filter can be use for 3 to 5 days. Not to mention is less wasteful.
Would you mind adding a link to where we can buy these N95 filters for reusable masks? Thanks in advance!
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2013
1018 posts
344 upvotes
in a bubble
where is everyone buying thier elastic from? sold out at walmart & dollaramas, cant even find head /hair bands.
Apr 15, 2005
440 posts
387 upvotes
Brossard, QC
dollarama, try some other location. sorry
Apr 23, 2009
692 posts
184 upvotes
GTA
ammaretto wrote: where is everyone buying thier elastic from? sold out at walmart & dollaramas, cant even find head /hair bands.
I have the same problem... wondering some craft / fabric stores may have some ... but are they open theses days?

For now I used yarn for my homemade masks ... you could also use a narrow ribbon. I used the HK mask pattern. https://diymask.site/. There is how to wear the mask videos on there as well. I prefer the doctor’s method (the second one). My masks look like what he is demonstrating, minus the ear elastic section (since elastic tapes are sold out at walmart, etc.) Also mine uses only one long continuous yarn, instead to 2 pcs he is using.

Good info on filter on that site as well.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2013
1018 posts
344 upvotes
in a bubble
Finally found some at 2 fabric/sewing stores. FabricLand & Nova sewing center. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

just came from Canadian tire & they were selling "Fabric Dust masks" a 2pk was $14- i got a package just to have in my bag.... i washed them first since they had a "spicy" smell to them, dissapointed they are only one layer but better than nothing in a pinch.