[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
1715 posts
681 upvotes
The Capital

DIY wifi/wired home cameras...

I searched, didn't find anything.

I see amazon selling all sorts of this shit. I know there's subscription based ones - which I don't want/need.

I'm looking to get a Doorbell + 2/3 camera home system. SD memory is fine, or I can setup some network device.

I have a friend that offered me hardwired ones - but I don't feel like ripping apart 1yo walls, etc. (not yet anyways).

I saw Eufy - but they have a subscription if needed, but only a 16gb system (allegedly giving ~100 days).

Has anyone taken this upon themselves? I'm not technologically challenged, and I can work with my hands so getting dirty to get it done isn't an issue.

EDIT: I weighed pros/cons & costs... ended up with a set of 5x from Wyze (buy4 get 1 during the holidays).

Have three running, nice and easy to use, very reliable. I have them on window mounts so that I can see outside without keeping them outside.
Last edited by mmagda on Jan 7th, 2022 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2015
1469 posts
1224 upvotes
Durham Region
Wyze
Relatively inexpensive, a lot of different devices, local SD storage and event recording, one app to control it all
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4602 posts
1833 upvotes
GTA
What's your budget? As mentioned, Wyze is a good option on a budget as long as you understand the system's limitations. If you have more money to spend, I highly recommend you get a PoE (power over Ethernet) system with an NVR. There are plenty of these systems available on the market and they can range in price from $400 to well into the thousands. Many will also offer a doorbell cam which is extra.

Check out Hikvision (a favorite of RFD members) or if you want Costco also sells some systems (i.e. Lorex) but they're not quite as good.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2886 posts
1006 upvotes
Also ezviz (subbrand of hikvision) cameras support rtsp. I have a bunch of C1Cs and they are solid reliable, $30ish at walmart. Ive replaced most of my wyze cam v2s with these since wyze cam rtsp implementation is totally shitty and unreliable. If you dont need/want rtsp, then wyze cam3s is what i would suggest.
Penalty Box
Jun 26, 2009
5142 posts
4878 upvotes
GTA
Eufy by Anker, good stuff, there is $50 off coupon on Amazon now. Costco just recently started selling them too. Batteries hold great for a long time and they have solar charger available too. No wires, really easy to install, good quality cameras, no monthly cloud subscription. The Eufy phone app works good, you can view all your cameras, review footage, live stream etc. Two way speaker communication as well - no need for video doorbell.
Jun 29, 2009
29 posts
12 upvotes
CANADA
Have to agreed with you. Using Wyze for 4+ years. Works great.
Jun 29, 2009
29 posts
12 upvotes
CANADA
Have to agreed with you. Using Wyze for 4+ years. Works great.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20540 posts
13934 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
networksend wrote: Wyze
Relatively inexpensive, a lot of different devices, local SD storage and event recording, one app to control it all
I just got the new v3 cam and the low light abilities are just great in comparison to the v1 as well.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7397 posts
3129 upvotes
The_Professor wrote: What's your budget? As mentioned, Wyze is a good option on a budget as long as you understand the system's limitations. If you have more money to spend, I highly recommend you get a PoE (power over Ethernet) system with an NVR. There are plenty of these systems available on the market and they can range in price from $400 to well into the thousands. Many will also offer a doorbell cam which is extra.

Check out Hikvision (a favorite of RFD members) or if you want Costco also sells some systems (i.e. Lorex) but they're not quite as good.
This.

If you're looking for reliable security, hardwired is the way to go. I have a eufy system, while picture quality is okay, battery life is significantly less than advertised and its effectiveness in capturing images is very uneven. Cameras don't always trigger with motion, and I haven't been able to figure out why. I've made lots of adjustments and still often the cameras trigger late, or don't trigger at all.

These cameras I suppose are okay as a deterrent, but if you're looking for security, look elsewhere.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
2511 posts
945 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo, …
I was also wondering on this same topic recently. The Wyze cams are appealing for the wireless install, but I worry a bit regarding reliability.

The wired installation is a bit daunting to me. I expect I could handle it, but it would probably look like a huge mess, which I don't want. I have a difficult enough time managing wires for a simple television or pc setup lol
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20540 posts
13934 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
RandomSanity wrote: I was also wondering on this same topic recently. The Wyze cams are appealing for the wireless install, but I worry a bit regarding reliability.

The wired installation is a bit daunting to me. I expect I could handle it, but it would probably look like a huge mess, which I don't want. I have a difficult enough time managing wires for a simple television or pc setup lol
For the price involved, you might want to try out the Wyze stuff first to see it will work in your environment. If not, you can always remove them and sell them for a small loss while you install a wired system.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
1715 posts
681 upvotes
The Capital
Thank you all for the replies!

RFD didn't notify me of any replies... I will read thru all of these!! :D
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2792 posts
1941 upvotes
networksend wrote: Wyze
x2

And you dont need to do extensive work to install it. I have it on my porch window inside the house. The wide view angle covers everything. It protects the camera from the weather as well. I woult not expect cameras to last if you put it outdoors in the Canadian winters
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4602 posts
1833 upvotes
GTA
Biscayne05 wrote: x2

And you dont need to do extensive work to install it. I have it on my porch window inside the house. The wide view angle covers everything. It protects the camera from the weather as well. I woult not expect cameras to last if you put it outdoors in the Canadian winters
I had two v2's mounted outside (albeit shielded from precipitation but not from temperatures) for over two years and they both worked flawlessly. You can also buy weatherproof cases for the v2 which would then allow you to mount nearly anywhere. I think the new v3's might be weatherproof out of the box (along with improved night vision).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7563 posts
8144 upvotes
Vancouver
Wyze has some points to recommend them:

- They're cheap and popular
- The cameras are ok for the price
- They offer a free 12 seconds of event video recording to the cloud
- You can record full-time or only events (any duration) to a local microSD card, and access the recording remotely

Con:

- Wyze has expanded their product line to include a plethora of rebranded cheap Chinese junk, and their support and software development has not kept up. The firmware and app is often flaky, and problem areas are often abandoned rather than fixed.
- Wyze is trying to move everybody to a subscription model, so some new features are only available by subscription, and there may be more restrictions in future.
- Software support is strictly app-based, no web interface (they did experiment with offering open-interface RTSP firmware for a while, but they seem to have decided to abandon it)
- WiFi connection is not outstanding, and can be a problem (albeit this is an issue with most WiFi cameras)

So Wyze might be a good choice if you're just getting into experimenting with this, but maybe not the best if you want to jump to a more mature high-end system.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)