DIY: Window Bench with Cushion & Storage [Post 640]

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2020 8:56 am
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
626 posts
821 upvotes
Toronto
bubuski wrote: The countertop looks great, the colours work so well with the cabinet wood. The edge is also a great choice especially with the sink. I'm not even sure how they could have done the waterfall. A stacked or beveled edge would have looked horrible coming down the water wall.
Thanks. Most of my design choices are pretty simple clean. Trying not to over complicate things.

I was going back and forth with the waterfall option because I initially wanted an overhang there too so we can put more swing out seats there but decided against it because I don’t want the seat to block the only pathway into the kitchen.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
626 posts
821 upvotes
Toronto
amiratish wrote: @PCShutters Wow, amazing work man, did you do the tiles on Day 18 as well?
Lol. No. I did the tiles for the kitchen last summer when I was setting the tile for the entire main floor. That project took me about 3 Sundays. The drywall was done last spring. 18 days and counting is just for the cabinet build.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
626 posts
821 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote: You shouldn't be able to tell done with a bevelled edge if done correctly.
That is true. If done correctly, they would double up the entire underside where ever visible. Including around the sink. I have seen it but I could still see the glue line along the entire edge of the counter. To be fair. Most people would be okay with it. Some can’t even tell.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
626 posts
821 upvotes
Toronto
Day 19 Kitchen Build: Prep and paint the upper cabinet carcass.

When it comes to painting, preparation is 90% of the work. Lucky for me, I already sanded most of the cabinets before assembling. My brother and I spent 5 hours taping up the cabinets as best as we could.

Once the taping is done, I went nut with the paint gun. Applied 2 coats of conversion vanish primer, 2 coats of catalyst white top coat and 2 coats of semi gloss clear. Painting in progress:

Once the heavy paints are dried to the touch, we proceed with removing all of the maskings and here are the latest pictures of the kitchen build.

Nov 9, 2011
915 posts
811 upvotes
Toronto
PCShutters wrote:
That exhaust fan looks too close to that exhaust vent hole on the wall. It will be interesting to see how you will make that connection.
Feb 6, 2015
159 posts
83 upvotes
Calgary
Did you use poplar wood to build the drawers? Never had experience with poplar and looking to build some drawer replacements later; I presume this is a light and inexpensive material?

Have you had any issues with it warping if left raw with no treatment or coating?
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
626 posts
821 upvotes
Toronto
Silverfox555 wrote: Did you use poplar wood to build the drawers? Never had experience with poplar and looking to build some drawer replacements later; I presume this is a light and inexpensive material?

Have you had any issues with it warping if left raw with no treatment or coating?
Yes I used poplar for most of drawers and yes it is one of the more affordable hardwood available in our region. Although they are considered a “hard” wood. It is fairly soft and lightweight.

Regarding warping. It is actually fairly stable compared to other woods that I have used in the past. But every once in a while you will run into a piece that is nothing but trouble. When I get those, I will just throw them out. Luckily they are fairly inexpensive so that is not a big deal.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
626 posts
821 upvotes
Toronto
Haven't make much progress with my kitchen build lately but I saw this deal at Atlas Tools that might be of interest to some people here who wanted to try out some Festool stuff. Festool almost never goes on sale so this is kind of a big deal. Just in time for Father's Day **wink wink** Winking FaceWinking Face Free Shipping Nation Wide.

More info: https://festoolshop.ca/searchresults/se ... stoolSaleC
unnamed.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
626 posts
821 upvotes
Toronto
Day 20 of Kitchen Build: Installing Under-cabinet lights

It's funny how I have never think about it but as soon as one person mentioned it, I can't get it out of my mind so I consulted with the boss and she wanted under-cabinet lighting too. I went to my local electrical shop and pick up some materials for this project. The whole thing cost me $68. I went with 6000K colour because that is the only model they have with 95+ CRI rating.

After some wire fishing, soldering and modifications. Here is what I ended up with:

Still need to make the upper cabinet skirt molding to cover up the LED but it is basically done.

The next few days, I get side tracked with the tankless water heater install. No more monthly rental fee! WOOHOO.

[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
626 posts
821 upvotes
Toronto
Day 21 of Kitchen Build: Building Drawers

I have always like drawers for the lower cabinets because I think I can utilize more of the available space and it is easier on my back. With that in mind, I put in drawers wherever possible. However, making drawers can be very time consuming when you have over 30 to make. Which I why I looked into this drawer system from Grass called: Grass Nova Pro Deluxe Drawer System. This system makes it so easy and super strong. All I need are two pieces of plywood for each drawers and I am done. It is really that simple.

Some of the drawers are installed--all I need are the face front and it's done.

Day 22 of Kitchen Build: Dovetail drawers

Even with the drawer system above, I still wanted to make a few drawers with a more traditional method--dovetails. This is my very first attempt at cutting my own dovetails:

Like always, I started by milling up the materials I will need. I am using birch and walnut for these drawers.

After hours of cutting and chiseling, time for some test fits.

Then I glued them up and route a rabbet to accept the 1/4" plywood bottom I will be putting in.

The bottom pieces are glued and stapled into place. Good chance to adjust the drawers for squareness.

Installed the drawers in its final location. I will need to make the drawer fronts for these..

Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2248 posts
1232 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Try the Porter Cable dovetail jig... You'll have a drawer done in a matter of minutes instead of hours. Might not be as satisfying as doing it by hand but the end result is the same.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44416 posts
4989 upvotes
Richmond Hill
schade wrote: Try the Porter Cable dovetail jig... You'll have a drawer done in a matter of minutes instead of hours. Might not be as satisfying as doing it by hand but the end result is the same.
I read a lot of reviews saying that while it makes the cutting part easier, the prep work isn't that easy - it's hard to adjust and/or fit the board in the right place before cutting, etc. How do you find that?
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2248 posts
1232 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Jon Lai wrote: I read a lot of reviews saying that while it makes the cutting part easier, the prep work isn't that easy - it's hard to adjust and/or fit the board in the right place before cutting, etc. How do you find that?
The setup really isn't that difficult, I'd say maybe 10mins and you're ready to start cutting. Once it's setup then running the rest of the boards through is very quick
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
626 posts
821 upvotes
Toronto
schade wrote: Try the Porter Cable dovetail jig... You'll have a drawer done in a matter of minutes instead of hours. Might not be as satisfying as doing it by hand but the end result is the same.
I actually do have one of those fancy Dovetail jig from Leigh but I wanted to try some hand cut dovetails instead since I will be looking at these drawers daily.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)