DIY: Window Bench with Cushion & Storage [Post 640]

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2020 8:56 am
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
626 posts
821 upvotes
Toronto
bubuski wrote: Don't second guess your choice...with your swing up doors in the upper cabinets, the microwave looks better on the lower cabinet which are all the pull-out doors. IMO its a better aesthetic choice and I wish I had the space for one(our kitchen is much smaller U layout). My 8 yr old struggles to reach our microwave but we used the trim kit because we preferred the built-in look rather than the microwave just sitting in the upper cabinet or countertop. We sacrificed some storage space for cosmetic look by sizing the cabinet opening to fit the trim.

The microwave is an old one that is about 8 yrs old. The trim kit I bought it this year when we Reno'd from a store out West in BC. They had the 24"(6 series) and 27"(7 series) kits $140. The 24" kit is designed to be rear vented while the 27" kit uses front venting.

For the kitchen reno we only wrote the check. Someone else had the honor to actually built it and listen to us say change this, change that...lol.
We had a few must haves like inset doors, crown moulding, shoe molding and no filler panels in the corners etc so a bunch of the cabinets had to be custom sided.

I'll post up pictures shortly. Let me find good examples.Face With Tears Of Joy

I am too far into the kitchen build to change something so drastic--second guessing my choices are not an option anymore.

Thanks for sharing your kitchen pictures! It's beautiful! Your house is little bigger than mine and we have similar old kitchen layout. I personally hate corner cabinets which is why I am going with the gallery style kitchen. But you made good use out of your corner cabinets so that's good. Those inset doors look good!
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
626 posts
821 upvotes
Toronto
bubuski wrote: It hard to pinpoint the cost as I did my whole main floor but I think ball-park for kitchen alone is somewhere around $35-40K.

Gut then re-install floor, electrical(for appliances, lighting), cabinets, counterop and backsplash.

Thanks, We did the whole 1st floor. Choosing that tiled floor was a tough choice. Why tile when it's much easier and in vogue to install hardwood in the kitchen. We had to think a bit long term on what we can live with.

The room with the fireplace was previously our family room, it's now our new dining room. We'll place a wing-back chair and side table to the left of the fireplace and a dining table under the chandelier.
Living room and dining room previously shared a space in our old layout, now it just be a bigger formal living room. We also added a mudroom and re-tilled the powderoom.
$35-40K for a brand new kitchen is not bad at all. I am doing everything myself and I am already spending around $14K so far (exclude the appliances). Still a lot more to do in term of the finishing touches.

I wish we have a mud room. I would build a massive hall tree for that room with walnut live edge sitting bench and built-in cabinets. Oh well...
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
626 posts
821 upvotes
Toronto
Day 26: Painting the Upper Cabinet Doors

I have been up for the last 48 hours trying to prepare these doors for paint. One thing lead to another, I didn't feel like going to sleep so I kept on working until it's done.

Also installed a small skirt moulding to cover up the under cabinet lights. For some reasons, the colour look a lot more purple in that picture than in real life.

Now that it's painted, maybe I can get some sleep....
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2589 posts
1076 upvotes
Mississauga
PCShutters wrote:

I am too far into the kitchen build to change something so drastic--second guessing my choices are not an option anymore.

Thanks for sharing your kitchen pictures! It's beautiful! Your house is little bigger than mine and we have similar old kitchen layout. I personally hate corner cabinets which is why I am going with the gallery style kitchen. But you made good use out of your corner cabinets so that's good. Those inset doors look good!
PCShutters wrote: $35-40K for a brand new kitchen is not bad at all. I am doing everything myself and I am already spending around $14K so far (exclude the appliances). Still a lot more to do in term of the finishing touches.

I wish we have a mud room. I would build a massive hall tree for that room with walnut live edge sitting bench and built-in cabinets. Oh well...
My doors are painted MDF, one of the few cost controlling downgrades we opted for.

I'm actually surprised that my house would be bigger. Each picture you upload has me reflecting on how much space you have, maybe its the taller ceiling and more open floor plan. My wife remembers you from when we got the shutters so each time I share your house progress with her, her reaction is usually along the line of "that's a good idea, it would have been a nice addition for us if we have more space"...lol. We have no plans to move but the grass always looks greener on the other side.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
626 posts
821 upvotes
Toronto
bubuski wrote: My doors are painted MDF, one of the few cost controlling downgrades we opted for.

I'm actually surprised that my house would be bigger. Each picture you upload has me reflecting on how much space you have, maybe its the taller ceiling and more open floor plan. My wife remembers you from when we got the shutters so each time I share your house progress with her, her reaction is usually along the line of "that's a good idea, it would have been a nice addition for us if we have more space"...lol. We have no plans to move but the grass always looks greener on the other side.
LOL yes the grass always look greener on the other side. In my case, this is definitely true. I have neglected our grass for years--too busy with other things and outdoor projects are at the bottom of the list.

Yes, our house is only 1,670sq ft not including the unfinished basement--at this rate, it will never get finished because I am using it for my wood storage. The wife thought it was just temporarily until I finished all of my projects but the wood pile keep getting bigger and bigger as I finish more projects LOL. I even take over the shed and my parents' garage for wood storage. My friends & family said I have enough wood to open up my own lumber yard. HAHA

Because my house is so small, I try do as much built-in furniture as possible. Like my daughters' bunk bed and table, closets, window benches, etc...
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17194 posts
2170 upvotes
Out west
PCShutters wrote: LOL yes the grass always look greener on the other side. In my case, this is definitely true. I have neglected our grass for years--too busy with other things and outdoor projects are at the bottom of the list.

Yes, our house is only 1,670sq ft not including the unfinished basement--at this rate, it will never get finished because I am using it for my wood storage. The wife thought it was just temporarily until I finished all of my projects but the wood pile keep getting bigger and bigger as I finish more projects LOL. I even take over the shed and my parents' garage for wood storage. My friends & family said I have enough wood to open up my own lumber yard. HAHA

Because my house is so small, I try do as much built-in furniture as possible. Like my daughters' bunk bed and table, closets, window benches, etc...
1670 sq ft isnt small. Someone else said their 1850 sq. ft home on one floor isnt a mansion, when in theory thats a lot of space.

Under 1000 sq ft. for a family, thats small, or under 800 sq ft on 2 floors
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
20037 posts
2849 upvotes
Niagara Falls
WikkiWikki wrote: 1670 sq ft isnt small. Someone else said their 1850 sq. ft home on one floor isnt a mansion, when in theory thats a lot of space.

Under 1000 sq ft. for a family, thats small, or under 800 sq ft on 2 floors
That's how I feel every-time someone talks about sq ft. My old house was a story and half house and the main floor was like 850 sq ft. The half story was theoretically as large but only a small strip of it was walkable. We moved into a bungalo, main floor is about 1250 sq ft and I'm not even sure what I'd do with more room. Once we took down a wall between the kitchen and dining room and expanded the kitchen my wife had plenty of space to cook. The one counter is 9ft un=interrupted.

If I'm going to complain, I wouldn't mind a walk in closet, but that's about it. Smeh, to each their own I suppose.
Last edited by Evil Baby on Jun 24th, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17194 posts
2170 upvotes
Out west
Evil Baby wrote: That's how I feel every-time someone talks about sq ft. My old house was a story and half house and the main floor was like 850 sq ft. The half story was theoretically as large but only a small strip of it was walkable. We moved into a bungalo, main floor is about 11250 sq ft and I'm not even sure what I'd do with more room. Once we took down a wall between the kitchen and dining room and expanded the kitchen my wife had plenty of space to cook. The one counter is 9ft un=interrupted.

If I'm going to complain, I wouldn't mind a walk in closet, but that's about it. Smeh, to each their own I suppose.
When the word "only" is thrown in, is it really just "only" Or the opposite

My main floor is "only" 1450, which is the largest and last house we will probably live in. But the basement is completely finished, so that gives me "only" 2900 sq ft. With 5 adults, and 4 bedrooms its plenty. And with kids eventually moving out, will be our last home before the home.

If the one posted 1850 on one floor as "only" they have entire basement still. Even if unfinished, that is future usable sq. footage
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2589 posts
1076 upvotes
Mississauga
The 1850 sq ft number came from me so let me clarify. My house is 1850 sq ft but on two floors.

1st floor is 1000 sq ft.
2nd floor is 850 sq ft.
Basement is 700 sqft but was unfinished since the house was built in 1996. We finished it just a few months ago to add to our living space.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17194 posts
2170 upvotes
Out west
bubuski wrote: The 1850 sq ft number came from me so let me clarify. My house is 1850 sq ft but on two floors.

1st floor is 1000 sq ft.
2nd floor is 850 sq ft.
Basement is 700 sqft but was unfinished since the house was built 20 yrs ago. We finished it just a few months ago to add to our living space.
Thats still a lot of total living space of 2550 sq ft
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2589 posts
1076 upvotes
Mississauga
WikkiWikki wrote: Thats still a lot of total living space of 2550 sq ft
Looking at the overall number of 2550 sq ft, I sort of agree with you there but the way the space functioned sucked. It is not open concept so the compartmentalized room layout (which we prefer) actually makes the house feel smaller.

Basement until recently was huge storage facility which was our doing, 2nd floor is mostly just bedrooms and bathroom so was not really a spot for family/friends to hangout or mingle.

That leaves just the 1000 sq ft main floor, without the stairs/washroom/laundry it drops down to 750 sq ft. Which breaks down into the "guest only access" 400 sq ft formal living and dining room, a 200 sq ft kitchen and a 180 sq ft family room. I really don't feel the last two rooms are a lot of space but it is where we hung out most.

We needed a bigger family hang out space which was why we moved our family room to our basement and made it a huge rec space. The dining room now takes the space of old family room and we actually use it between meals.

[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
626 posts
821 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't been buying much acrylic sheets lately because I have a few off-cuts from past projects but I got a HUGE sticker shock when I went to pick up a sheet of 1/4" lexan polycarbonate this week. I guess I can thanks the Covid19 for this again because every retailers are stockpiling it to make their "shield"

Anyway...I picked up a piece of clear 4x8 because that is all they have and sanded it with 1000 grit to get this "etched/frosted" look

[OP]
Sep 5, 2011
626 posts
821 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote: How much price increase are we talking about? Would glass have been cheaper?
I usually pay about $200 to $300 for a quarter inch sheet. I paid $532+HST for this sheet. Glass would have been cheaper but I am more familiar with Lexan. They are pretty much unbreakable and malleable. 250X more impact resistance compared to glass. Can handle high temperature...will not discolour...I know glass can do this too but I don't want to deal with shatter glass.

Kid friendly--I can even roundover the edges to make it safer. Again, you can do this with glass too....Not sure what I am going on and on about haha. I guess I am just trying to justify my purchase LOL
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44416 posts
4989 upvotes
Richmond Hill
PCShutters wrote: I usually pay about $200 to $300 for a quarter inch sheet. I paid $532+HST for this sheet. Glass would have been cheaper but I am more familiar with Lexan. They are pretty much unbreakable and malleable. 250X more impact resistance compared to glass. Can handle high temperature...will not discolour...I know glass can do this too but I don't want to deal with shatter glass.

Kid friendly--I can even roundover the edges to make it safer. Again, you can do this with glass too....Not sure what I am going on and on about haha. I guess I am just trying to justify my purchase LOL
:lol:

Thanks for the numbers, that's quite a markup!
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)