• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2021 12:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1503 posts
249 upvotes

DIY windshield repair

I have multiple tiny rock chips on my windshield and finally last week a crack developed from one of them. Do DIY windshield repair kits work to prevent further crack?

This one keeps showing up on my FB feed but I am always suspect of such promotional advertising on FB:
https://samsara-shop.com/products/magic ... repair-kit

There are others like RainX and BlueStar. Seems like if one has realistic expectation and follows instruction these kits can make them less visible?

Thank you.
20 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16870 posts
18617 upvotes
Oakville
crustydragon wrote: I have multiple tiny rock chips on my windshield and finally last week a crack developed from one of them. Do DIY windshield repair kits work to prevent further crack?

This one keeps showing up on my FB feed but I am always suspect of such promotional advertising on FB:
https://samsara-shop.com/products/magic ... repair-kit

There are others like RainX and BlueStar. Seems like if one has realistic expectation and follows instruction these kits can make them less visible?

Thank you.
Yes, and yes. I've used cheap ones off amazon or CT. Even used it on a cracked tablet screen.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1142 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
I repaired one last year with a kit from Canadian tire. Hasn't cracked yet so im on the, yes it stops cracks side of the fence as or right now.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.
Confucius

Heatware
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2020
1348 posts
1278 upvotes
Clarington, ON
I'm 3+ years in on one from Canadian tire. I'm satisfied.

At this point with the amount of sandblasting the windshield has taken, I'm almost ready for new glass, except I always prefer to maintain the factory seal.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2908 posts
1143 upvotes
They work very well to prevent further cracks.

Using them with skill so that it makes the chip/crack look almost invisible is usually a lot harder. But to prevent additional cracking, definitely.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3646 posts
1189 upvotes
Edmonton
I highly recommend GT tools for windshield repair.
Great tools, very durable. Heard good things about their "vanish"
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Jan 13, 2007
515 posts
398 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I've been using the Permatex windshield repair kit from Canadian Tire for years with 100% success. I've gotten so accustomed to it, I do the whole repair without even reading the instructions.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/perm ... 0027p.html

I also have a UV light to cure the filler without needing to park the vehicle outside for natural sunlight but on nice days, I just park outside for 30 minutes and it's all good.
Sep 4, 2006
994 posts
664 upvotes
Ottawa
Good videos on the WatchJrGo youtube channel where he does chips with the readily available parts store kits.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16743 posts
15190 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Yes. Definitely use a DIY to stop any further cracking. I've tried the kits from CT and they worked fine. Just make sure the windshield hasn't been exposed to rain recently, as the crack needs to be dry.
May 31, 2008
213 posts
336 upvotes
I've used the kit from Canadian tire and had pretty good results and although you could still see the stone chip, it never cracked after.

With my last Lexus I had a slightly larger one and someone recommended an old guy who had a stand in the parking lot of the Canadian tire on Mavis. He did an excellent job and was completely invisible after. Not sure if he is still there.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1503 posts
249 upvotes
Appreciate all the replies! Will look into if it's covered by my auto insurance in Alberta without affecting premium and if not going to try to DIY it. Thank you.
Feb 17, 2004
519 posts
183 upvotes
I'm on year 2 of my DIY windshield repair on my jeep with a CT kit. If you catch the crack/chip early enough and before it spreads it should work if you follow the instructions.

In regards to insurance covering windshield repair or replacements, yes some will but the repair will show up as a claim. Most insurers forgive 1 or 2 claims before raising your rates but eventually that cheap chip repair may jack up your repairs. I try to stay from making any claims as I've also suffered through 10 years of jacked up rates (I.e. double insurance costs) after my mother had a minor fender bender with my minivan (~$1k repair).
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10240 posts
2838 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I waited until the windshield cracked and was got it replaced for free by insurance lol
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2020
1348 posts
1278 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Daijoubu wrote: I waited until the windshield cracked and was got it replaced for free by insurance lol
It was replaced because you continued to pay them and they used some of that money to replace it. Also, a claim.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10240 posts
2838 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Well that's my reasoning, I should get some of that money back that I have been paying them for years, had no claims prior or after lol
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2020
1348 posts
1278 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Daijoubu wrote: Well that's my reasoning, I should get some of that money back that I have been paying them for years, had no claims prior or after lol
Further. Factory windshield will always have the best seal. I have no desire to have a windshield changed and break that seal when a <$20 kit deals with the issue.

Edit: further. My last windshield was $260 cash (granted, no heat strips or rain detection etc). How much is your insurance getting soaked if an installer is willing to pay your deductible.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10240 posts
2838 upvotes
Montreal, QC
True that, my car was an old beater and the chinese windshield was rather cheap, $400 installed iirc, but I'm glad it was replaced, it was so damaged that it ate through wipers
If you had a more recent vehicule or a small chip, definitively repair it.

My deductible for non collision claims was $50, the $100, $250 and $500 deductibles only saved a couple of dollars a year so I didn't bother.
Dec 7, 2011
810 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
KevinM56081 wrote: Further. Factory windshield will always have the best seal. I have no desire to have a windshield changed and break that seal when a <$20 kit deals with the issue.

Edit: further. My last windshield was $260 cash (granted, no heat strips or rain detection etc). How much is your insurance getting soaked if an installer is willing to pay your deductible.
In most cases, I'd agree the factory seal is best. If the job is done properly, it can be equal or better. The problem is a lot of installers don't take pride in their work and a lot of customers shop by price only. If you want a cheap job, they will have to take shortcuts somewhere. Whether it'd be cheap glass, materials or labour. Gone are the days of <$300 windshield jobs unless you drive a vehicle with no tech on the glass. With current tech and covid, prices have soared.

BTW, the unwritten rule for windshield claims is two in six years.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16870 posts
18617 upvotes
Oakville
If you have tech on your windshield then it may also require re-calibrating at the dealer for hundreds of $$$.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.