• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2015 6:52 pm
[OP]
Nov 26, 2008
990 posts
662 upvotes
GTA

DIY winter tire swap out tool list

I am curious what everyone is using to do their own tire swap.
My whole family has winters and if I bought everything new and split the cost we more or less breakeven after one season.

I was looking at grabbing a 2-3 ton jack, torque wrench, corded impact wrench or cordless impact gun, jack stands, etc...
41 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22189 posts
3014 upvotes
A jack, a stand, a socket, breaker bar, torque wrench. Simple. Anti seize if you have alloys.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19136 posts
2852 upvotes
Woodbridge
Pretty much nailed it.

I also use Brake Cleaner to clean the Rotors, White Lithium Grease (Non Drip) so the Wheels doesn't stick to the Hub.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Jun 17, 2013
794 posts
291 upvotes
Toronto
Tire change kit in the trunk of your car plus an hour of your time.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37038 posts
23003 upvotes
Center of Universe
Considering its going to be a family affair and likely involving multiple cars; I would suggest getting an impact driver.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2008
1366 posts
680 upvotes
NewMember12345 wrote: Tire change kit in the trunk of your car plus an hour of your time.
Please don't listen to this advice.
Buy the proper tool as mentioned in the 2nd post and you'll be good to go.
Feb 10, 2014
355 posts
225 upvotes
Mississauga
You have all tires on rims right?
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22208 posts
2873 upvotes
Buy a impact gun and then finalize with the torque wrench.

You save so much time
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9198 posts
10691 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
NewMember12345 wrote: Tire change kit in the trunk of your car plus an hour of your time.
Might as well just try changing it using your hands. Did you even read that the OP is planning on doing multiple cars?

Terrible advice.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5908 posts
1033 upvotes
Calgary
don't forget a pair of wheel chokes.

IMO, impact driver is not needed.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2011
1595 posts
1006 upvotes
Toronto
Your list plus

A bottle of anti-seize

17mm, 19mm, 21mm, 7/8" deep sockets

And a wheel chock (or a piece of brick)
Jun 17, 2013
794 posts
291 upvotes
Toronto
ditachan wrote: Please don't listen to this advice.
cartfan123 wrote: Might as well just try changing it using your hands. Did you even read that the OP is planning on doing multiple cars?

Terrible advice.
It's all about that haggard garage life.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2007
15274 posts
2488 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
I do it by hand. Change one wheel at a time. Might as well go through my own procedure to see the tools or things required lol

1.Rubber chocks from Princess Auto, chock the opposite wheel on the opposite axle.
2. Break loose lugs with Canadian tire breaker bar with impact socket from Princess auto
3. Jack car up with Torin low profile jack from costco and slide jack stand under frame rail.
4. Loosen lugs by hand.
5. Apply anti seize to hub face
6. put wheel on.
7. Snug lugs in cross pattern by hand
8. Take out jack stand and lower jack so that tire is just touching ground (so it doesnt spin as you try to tighten it)
9. Torque lug to spec with Canadian tire torque wrench.
10. Lower car completely. Go on with rest of wheels.

The breaker bars at canadian tire go on sale for like $10, I've pretty much just put one in each car since they're so cheap lol and a metric impact socket set that was on sale at CT as well. Beats using the lug wrench thing included with the manufacturer if you need to change to the spare.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4624 upvotes
Montréal
I have the best setup:
-digital impact wrench w/ torque settings
-jack

Done and done, bolts rip off and screw on in seconds, no second-guessing.
Aug 15, 2014
559 posts
188 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ditachan wrote: Please don't listen to this advice.
He's somewhat right if you have wheel locks and the wheel locks key is kept with the kit in the trunk
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2243 posts
746 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
This plus a 6 pack of beer. People with their fancy breaker bars ans wheel chocks are pussies...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7160 posts
3494 upvotes
Montreal
Newb question:
Ive always swapped the tires by myself, with steel rims.
Ive never owned Mags before, but bought a new car over the summer that came with them. I know mounting tires on mags require a hardware kit and is a bit more complicated than steel wheels. But does swapping the tires with mags out of the car the same thing as with steelies?
Mar 17, 2006
644 posts
346 upvotes
You don't need jack stands when you are swapping out a wheel. Jack stands are most necessary when doing work under the car. It just adds extra time to what should be a very simple job. If you are doing multiple cars it adds up. Wheel chokes are a good idea if your driveway is not completely level, but as someone mentioned already, thick bricks will do the job just fine.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5414 posts
4599 upvotes
Oakville, ON
If you're changing over wheels on a European car, you'd be wise (and will save some frustration) if you get a decent Wheel Hanger. Some can also double as a Tommy Bar (aka breaker bar).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)