Computers & Electronics

DJI Mini 3 Pro + DJI Golden Ticket $669-$909USD

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2022 12:14 pm
Jun 15, 2021
801 posts
672 upvotes
findmesumdealz wrote: Cell service?
Idk that cell service has anything to do with what they're speaking of.
The DJI controller and drone broadcast their location to anyone who has a DJI "Aeroscope" or knows how to tap into the broadcast. I imagine that's what they're talking about.
This. There's probably more tools that detects all kind of drones other than DJI's with DJI Aeroscope, but law enforcement surely has them.

I'm a bit perplexed how we have those drone incidents at major airports like Glasgow and they can't find the drone operator. Unless they are flying home built ones. But I believe all big brands like DJI transit their position as well as the controller position on the ground (so law enforcement can get to you within minutes if they use the drone detection tool).
WTB amazon.ca gc @ 90%

WTS 10GB ESIM Canadian data valid for 30 days from activation
May 10, 2016
524 posts
864 upvotes
MrBungal wrote: This. There's probably more tools that detects all kind of drones other than DJI's with DJI Aeroscope, but law enforcement surely has them.

I'm a bit perplexed how we have those drone incidents at major airports like Glasgow and they can't find the drone operator. Unless they are flying home built ones. But I believe all big brands like DJI transit their position as well as the controller position on the ground (so law enforcement can get to you within minutes if they use the drone detection tool).
Tools like this exist but they're really bad at pinpointing the location of the drone, let alone the pilot. It's entirely possible but most airports don't even have any drone detection tech. To track down a rogue drone pilot law enforcement would need to a) have the technology b) know how to use the technology and c) be ready to use it at the drop of the hat. They only have 25 minutes or so (real world drone battery life) for the drone to be noticed, police to be alerted, them to get on site, set up the equipment, and track down the pilot. It's just not practical.

What is practical is to have the presence of a drone detected automatically and air traffic control alerted so that they can work around it. In military scenarios you can jam the control signal and even send commands to DJI drones to return home, land at the current position, or even shut their propellers off and drop to the ground. Here's a product that can do that. I didn't get to test the jamming because it's illegal to do without a license, but it works quite well at detecting the presence of a drone and identifying the manufacturer and even the model line.

With the Aeroscope things work a little differently though. It can easily identify the owner , their position, etc. since the drone will volunteer that information. But it would be incredibly easy to avoid getting caught by an Aeroscope by just using a different brand of drone.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2019
1614 posts
2055 upvotes
need a little help/advice here

i know virtually nothing about drones, except less than 250g i dont need a license, which is what im looking for, and that their batteries is a lot less impressive than i originally assumed. apparently 30 mins of flying time is very good already?

anyway, my use case is mostly gonna be simple stuff like checking my roof for damage, take pictures when hiking or camping, and maybe use it to discover terrain or something. i feel like i dont need the latest and greatest, maybe the mini 2, or even 1, would be enough for me? but im kinda lost and feeling kinda lazy to do in depth research, can someone help a brother out, what are some important features i should keep a look out for? not basic things like battery life, but like, something that you wouldnt think would be crucial when actually using it, but is actually one of the main factors of price differences between diff tiers. i guess battery life would actually be quite crucial and a price determining factor, but i mean like, for example, when buying a car, marketing features would be like horse power, gas efficiency, etc, but im looking for things like heated steering wheel, or AC power outlet in the back, or when buying a smartphone, marketing feature would be the pixel of the cameras, but what really helps take a good night picture is the aperture
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4483 posts
1157 upvotes
Hamilton
Combo 1 the best bet to order?

Video of unboxing and takeoff from a UK guy

Last edited by sidshock on May 23rd, 2022 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
3943 posts
2850 upvotes
rfdnewbie6910 wrote: need a little help/advice here

i know virtually nothing about drones, except less than 250g i dont need a license, which is what im looking for, and that their batteries is a lot less impressive than i originally assumed. apparently 30 mins of flying time is very good already?

anyway, my use case is mostly gonna be simple stuff like checking my roof for damage, take pictures when hiking or camping, and maybe use it to discover terrain or something. i feel like i dont need the latest and greatest, maybe the mini 2, or even 1, would be enough for me? but im kinda lost and feeling kinda lazy to do in depth research, can someone help a brother out, what are some important features i should keep a look out for? not basic things like battery life, but like, something that you wouldnt think would be crucial when actually using it, but is actually one of the main factors of price differences between diff tiers. i guess battery life would actually be quite crucial and a price determining factor, but i mean like, for example, when buying a car, marketing features would be like horse power, gas efficiency, etc, but im looking for things like heated steering wheel, or AC power outlet in the back, or when buying a smartphone, marketing feature would be the pixel of the cameras, but what really helps take a good night picture is the aperture
mini 2 doesnt have the proximity sensor meaning it'll smack the shit out itself on trees etc. Mine 3 is more suited for the novice.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2019
1614 posts
2055 upvotes
evilYoda wrote: mini 2 doesnt have the proximity sensor meaning it'll smack the shit out itself on trees etc. Mine 3 is more suited for the novice.
thank u, thats the kinda thing i was looking for, but damn...thats a big one. so with the sensor, what would the 3 do if i try to fly it into trees?
Aug 23, 2021
21 posts
19 upvotes
rfdnewbie6910 wrote: thank u, thats the kinda thing i was looking for, but damn...thats a big one. so with the sensor, what would the 3 do if i try to fly it into trees?
It can automatically brake and hover or it can navigate around it. Stop, hover, then it will automatically fly upwards and if it senses nothing in front it will resume its path forward.

This video is really good and pretty much covers everything on the Mini 3 Pro. Overview of the drone, the app, the different settings on the app, first flight and flight controls overview, and also the master shots features.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
3943 posts
2850 upvotes
rfdnewbie6910 wrote: thank u, thats the kinda thing i was looking for, but damn...thats a big one. so with the sensor, what would the 3 do if i try to fly it into trees?
In particular which is of extreme importance, is the auto fly back to you. It cant do that without the sensors... Would you like the damn drone to fly into a tree while trying to come back to you and get stuck there?

Either get mini 3 or dont get a drone.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
3943 posts
2850 upvotes
Hey does DJI restrict you from flying above the niagara falls or the river leading to it?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
4939 posts
4687 upvotes
Richmond Hill
evilYoda wrote: In particular which is of extreme importance, is the auto fly back to you. It cant do that without the sensors... Would you like the damn drone to fly into a tree while trying to come back to you and get stuck there?

Either get mini 3 or dont get a drone.
Return to home on the Mini 2 goes straight up to the pre-set altitude, flies to the home point, then straight down.

It wouldn't smack a tree unless it's right under the tree when initiated, in which case the Mini 3 would also smack the tree since it wouldn't detect upwards.
Oct 11, 2012
353 posts
254 upvotes
Winnipeg
evilYoda wrote: Hey does DJI restrict you from flying above the niagara falls or the river leading to it?
I would assume so, borders generally aren’t the best place to be flying a drone.
Aug 9, 2020
50 posts
36 upvotes
evilYoda wrote: Hey does DJI restrict you from flying above the niagara falls or the river leading to it?
It's a restricted zone. It's a bad idea to even consider flying there whether the app lets you or not.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4042 posts
1790 upvotes
Thornhill
No.

Niagara Fall is Class F Restricted airspace - so no drones are allowed without permission.
These are some of the few areas that even micro drones (<250g like the dji mini 3 pro) are not allowed to fly (another example is Parliament Hill, for obvious reason).

You need Special Flight Operation Certificate applied and authorized in advance, usually by commercial drone operators.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
7195 posts
3376 upvotes
Canuckland
Seems like regular price, how is this a hot deal?
[OP]
Jul 15, 2009
262 posts
646 upvotes
DealCanuck wrote: Seems like regular price, how is this a hot deal?
33000 views and you are the only one who noticed that.
Jun 15, 2021
801 posts
672 upvotes
Solarisphere wrote: Tools like this exist but they're really bad at pinpointing the location of the drone, let alone the pilot. It's entirely possible but most airports don't even have any drone detection tech. To track down a rogue drone pilot law enforcement would need to a) have the technology b) know how to use the technology and c) be ready to use it at the drop of the hat. They only have 25 minutes or so (real world drone battery life) for the drone to be noticed, police to be alerted, them to get on site, set up the equipment, and track down the pilot. It's just not practical.

What is practical is to have the presence of a drone detected automatically and air traffic control alerted so that they can work around it. In military scenarios you can jam the control signal and even send commands to DJI drones to return home, land at the current position, or even shut their propellers off and drop to the ground. Here's a product that can do that. I didn't get to test the jamming because it's illegal to do without a license, but it works quite well at detecting the presence of a drone and identifying the manufacturer and even the model line.

With the Aeroscope things work a little differently though. It can easily identify the owner , their position, etc. since the drone will volunteer that information. But it would be incredibly easy to avoid getting caught by an Aeroscope by just using a different brand of drone.
Fun story, I flew my mini 2 during Euro cup around one of the football stadiums (but outside 2km area since even DJI had it marked as restricted). Within 15 minutes I got picked up by police. They had my exact location on the ground. After an hour they let me go together with my drone since I didn't really broke any rules, but during Euro cup there's a lot of police/law enforcement presence as it's expected for such a high key event. They must've definitely had an Aeroscope or similar since they got my exact location. During that hour they told me they were getting directions where to go to find me. I was flying the drone inside a park.

Since IMO an intl airport is a high POI, I'm really surprised they don't have drone detection tools. Also intl airports have their own law enforcement who is stationed 24/7 there.
WTB amazon.ca gc @ 90%

Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2002
1856 posts
936 upvotes
Midland
I am a complete noob when it comes to drones, but how does one get a 1km+ range with the expensive RC? I am assuming it doesn’t use wifi/Bluetooth for control? Does it use cellular service if you use the remote that needs a cellphone?
Mar 28, 2019
56 posts
41 upvotes
joe2k1 wrote: I am a complete noob when it comes to drones, but how does one get a 1km+ range with the expensive RC? I am assuming it doesn’t use wifi/Bluetooth for control? Does it use cellular service if you use the remote that needs a cellphone?
The urban range is very poor ( if it lets you fly at all)
Jun 15, 2021
801 posts
672 upvotes
Ranchorelaxo wrote: The urban range is very poor ( if it lets you fly at all)
I have the mini 2 and it's range is amazing in urban area. However, you do have to fly it high enough.
WTB amazon.ca gc @ 90%

Mar 28, 2019
56 posts
41 upvotes
MrBungal wrote: I have the mini 2 and it's range is amazing in urban area. However, you do have to fly it high enough.
Face With Tears Of Joy

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)