Art and Photography

DJI Mini 2 or Mini 3 Pro - are these good for beginners?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2023 4:37 pm
[OP]
Oct 30, 2010
505 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto

DJI Mini 2 or Mini 3 Pro - are these good for beginners?

I’m looking to buy my first drone. Currently the Mini 2 is on sale at Costco for $500, while the Mini 3 Pro is regular price at $1000. I know that the Mini 3 Pro has [email protected] as well as obstacle detection which the 2 completely lacks, but is that worth double the price tag, for a first drone? Do people crash their Mini 2's a lot without the obstacle detection, even without doing tight maneuvers (I will not be doing things like flying it through at high speed between trees).
21 replies
Feb 3, 2011
65 posts
37 upvotes
Heartcloud wrote: I’m looking to buy my first drone. Currently the Mini 2 is on sale at Costco for $500, while the Mini 3 Pro is regular price at $1000. I know that the Mini 3 Pro has [email protected] as well as obstacle detection which the 2 completely lacks, but is that worth double the price tag, for a first drone? Do people crash their Mini 2's a lot without the obstacle detection, even without doing tight maneuvers (I will not be doing things like flying it through at high speed between trees).
I m debating the same. To complicate the matter. The mini 3 just came out. 900 for the fly more combo instead of 650 on Amazon. All else equal, make the mini 3 (not pro) $250 more.

Longer flight time , better camera, and better auto capture …. Same no sensor…
[OP]
Oct 30, 2010
505 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
domlee03 wrote: I m debating the same. To complicate the matter. The mini 3 just came out. 900 for the fly more combo instead of 650 on Amazon. All else equal, make the mini 3 (not pro) $250 more.

I think the sensor is much more important than the camera for beginners. Crashing this drone = pretty much destroying it due to the light weight.
Jun 12, 2018
787 posts
1161 upvotes
Ontario
If you fly it careful and avoid flying through trees at high speeds you should be fine without obstacle avoidance. You don't need it to fly drones safely, The mini 2 still has gps which stabilizes itself horizontally and vertically making it really easy to fly. Great first drone
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2021
1227 posts
1137 upvotes
Consider that Mini 3 still has no lateral sensors
Something something signature
Feb 4, 2007
227 posts
141 upvotes
Ottawa
Heartcloud wrote: I’m looking to buy my first drone. Currently the Mini 2 is on sale at Costco for $500, while the Mini 3 Pro is regular price at $1000. I know that the Mini 3 Pro has [email protected] as well as obstacle detection which the 2 completely lacks, but is that worth double the price tag, for a first drone? Do people crash their Mini 2's a lot without the obstacle detection, even without doing tight maneuvers (I will not be doing things like flying it through at high speed between trees).
I recently bought the mini 2 on sale at Costco and love it. However I wish to have more pro features that the Mini 3 Pro offers so I'm tempted to get the Mini 3 Pro. Mini 3 Pro has Master shot that combines all the quick shots into one and it's fantastic. The feature can be used with confident with obstacle detection sensors. It's also has the quick shot asteroid which is only available on the high end model. Active Track and obstacle detection are another useful feature that I'd like to use to record me running. Better camera lens and longer battery are also bonus but I really want other pro features that are not offered on the Mini 2. I've played around with Mini 2 quick shot and love it. The master shot is another level above it that makes fantastic cinematic video shots. I haven't seen the sale on Mini Pro 3 yet.
Feb 4, 2007
227 posts
141 upvotes
Ottawa
domlee03 wrote: I m debating the same. To complicate the matter. The mini 3 just came out. 900 for the fly more combo instead of 650 on Amazon. All else equal, make the mini 3 (not pro) $250 more.

mini 3 still doesn't have obstacle detection sensors, no active track, no quick shot asteroid, no master shot, .... I think mini 2 is pretty much similar to mini 3 and currently has a much better deal which is on sale for $500.
Jul 21, 2017
64 posts
38 upvotes
Get DJI refresh for peace of mind. It will allow you to replace the unit after a crash for a nominal fee. In my experience DJI has had terrible quality control of late. I had two Mini3pro units in late summer that I returned due to either image quality problems or other flight control issues. I bought a third unit this week and after a brief flight yesterday I'm hoping this unit will be ok. My mini2 has performed well over the last two years and I still plan on flying it as well.
Feb 4, 2007
227 posts
141 upvotes
Ottawa
effinaround wrote: Get DJI refresh for peace of mind. It will allow you to replace the unit after a crash for a nominal fee. In my experience DJI has had terrible quality control of late. I had two Mini3pro units in late summer that I returned due to either image quality problems or other flight control issues. I bought a third unit this week and after a brief flight yesterday I'm hoping this unit will be ok. My mini2 has performed well over the last two years and I still plan on flying it as well.
I saw lots of people posted selling DJI mini 3 pro that they got from London Drugs for half price. Some people claimed they got BNIB but I think the package was sealed by London Drugs so it’s not real BNIB. If London Drugs sold it for half price and the receipt is open box then I think there must be some defects on the drone and customer returned them and they repackaged it and sold it for half price. The resellers got them and sale it on market place or Kijiji for $900. I almost fell for it until I saw the receipt of open box. I think it’s better to buy from Costco and get the Costco warranty or best return policy for any defects for a peace of mind.
Jul 21, 2017
64 posts
38 upvotes
Why was London Drugs selling it for half price? DJI products are price controlled by DJI for authorized dealers. And what is BNIB? I am not familiar with that acronym.

Amazon has a great return policy and that is why I bought through them. Up until last year I think it was it made sense to buy direct from DJI in China since they never used to charge sales tax. That changed and now they are worthless to use.
Feb 4, 2007
227 posts
141 upvotes
Ottawa
effinaround wrote: Why was London Drugs selling it for half price? DJI products are price controlled by DJI for authorized dealers. And what is BNIB? I am not familiar with that acronym.

Amazon has a great return policy and that is why I bought through them. Up until last year I think it was it made sense to buy direct from DJI in China since they never used to charge sales tax. That changed and now they are worthless to use.
BNIB is Brand New In Box. London Drugs dumped mini 3 pro open box on Cyber Monday for half price and some people received the package sealed so they resale it on Market Place and advertising it as BNIB for $900 although the receipt is open box. As DJI haven’t had any sale to the new release product so this $900 sounds better than full price plus tax. I doubt it as a BNIB but rather a return product and re-sealed by the store. Their receipt doesn’t lie. Only buyer fell for this to save a little bit but could end up a drone with issues due to quality control as you mentioned.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7067 posts
2688 upvotes
Canada
Get one of those $50 china drones to learn for a month. Practice then get an expensive one. Repairing big drones is very expensive.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Mar 11, 2013
3 posts
2 upvotes
I too was on the fence and after researching all the reviews online decided to not even go with Costco as they did not have the new RC controller which IMO was worth every penny. I am a new drone pilot and ultimately went with the DJI Mini 3 Pro with DJI RC. I have learned the hard way that if you have the money get the better one or you will just end up buying twice. I can say that this combo has made my introduction to drone flying very pleasurable and it is feature packed with things that you typically get with much more expensive drones. The video and camera are exceptional and some people have even asked who I hired when I posted videos on Facebook. If you have the cash, definitely get the mini 3 pro with DJI RC. Trust me, you will not regret it. Oh, and I did get the 2 year Dji Care Refresh so I don't have to worry about crashing or losing my drone.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2021
1227 posts
1137 upvotes
Stoneage wrote: I too was on the fence and after researching all the reviews online decided to not even go with Costco as they did not have the new RC controller which IMO was worth every penny. I am a new drone pilot and ultimately went with the DJI Mini 3 Pro with DJI RC. I have learned the hard way that if you have the money get the better one or you will just end up buying twice. I can say that this combo has made my introduction to drone flying very pleasurable and it is feature packed with things that you typically get with much more expensive drones. The video and camera are exceptional and some people have even asked who I hired when I posted videos on Facebook. If you have the cash, definitely get the mini 3 pro with DJI RC. Trust me, you will not regret it. Oh, and I did get the 2 year Dji Care Refresh so I don't have to worry about crashing or losing my drone.
If you lose your drone you need to pay 50% of the price on top of your 2 year DJI Care. It's only if you can retrieve your drone you will pay their small nominal fee. I didn't buy the DJI Care and I have my Mini 2 for over 2 years now. Just like insurance and protection plans BB are trying to sell you, this is the same, it's a big profit for the company as only a few who buy the protection plan will make use of it.
Something something signature
Feb 4, 2007
227 posts
141 upvotes
Ottawa
Stoneage wrote: I too was on the fence and after researching all the reviews online decided to not even go with Costco as they did not have the new RC controller which IMO was worth every penny. I am a new drone pilot and ultimately went with the DJI Mini 3 Pro with DJI RC. I have learned the hard way that if you have the money get the better one or you will just end up buying twice. I can say that this combo has made my introduction to drone flying very pleasurable and it is feature packed with things that you typically get with much more expensive drones. The video and camera are exceptional and some people have even asked who I hired when I posted videos on Facebook. If you have the cash, definitely get the mini 3 pro with DJI RC. Trust me, you will not regret it. Oh, and I did get the 2 year Dji Care Refresh so I don't have to worry about crashing or losing my drone.
I bought Mini 2 from Costco and am thinking of return it and get the mini 3 pro instead. The price of mini 3 pro is double as mini 2 is on sale. I think I can live without smart RC as the price is already too much for me. As well Costco return policy and price adjustment is so good.
May 25, 2020
308 posts
535 upvotes
newbie07 wrote: BNIB is Brand New In Box. London Drugs dumped mini 3 pro open box on Cyber Monday for half price and some people received the package sealed so they resale it on Market Place and advertising it as BNIB for $900 although the receipt is open box. As DJI haven’t had any sale to the new release product so this $900 sounds better than full price plus tax. I doubt it as a BNIB but rather a return product and re-sealed by the store. Their receipt doesn’t lie. Only buyer fell for this to save a little bit but could end up a drone with issues due to quality control as you mentioned.
No idea what you're talking about, but I got one during the LD cyber Monday sale and it was brand new, in box, sealed with the DJI seal that I opened. I then activated it for the first time and got DJI Care and DJI confirmed to me that the serial number had never previously been activated. This was the experience of almost every one on RFD that got the drone in that sale.

Anyways, to OP's post - I don't think you can wrong with either as your first drone. They're actually fairly easy to fly and the features of Mini 2 are good enough for most people, unless you need the latest/greatest or you're doing more serious video/photo work. All DJI products hold their value well too, so you can always resell and upgrade.
Jun 12, 2018
787 posts
1161 upvotes
Ontario
EP32k2 wrote: Watch out for the battery tab on the mini 3. They are breaking!

Battery tab breaking
I haven't seen a mini 3 in person but man those plastic cases for the batteries look cheap. Battery clips look really weak and there's no hard stop on them. Good reason right there to stick with the cheaper mini 2. Battery clip design is better
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19638 posts
20061 upvotes
Richmond Hill
stevo88 wrote: I haven't seen a mini 3 in person but man those plastic cases for the batteries look cheap. Battery clips look really weak and there's no hard stop on them. Good reason right there to stick with the cheaper mini 2. Battery clip design is better
It’s bad. Best part is, knowing DJI they will not be revising this design till the next generation comes out.

It’s a flimsy design, one can argue it’s cheap but they had to keep the weight below 249G
Jul 21, 2017
64 posts
38 upvotes
I think the problem is that people are pushing too hard on the tabs to release the battery. It will go a lot farther than it needs to and that will stress the tab. I wouldn't view that as a showstopper just like how the deformed props on the first gen Mini resulted in some aircraft losses when people weren't storing them in the fly more case properly. If DJI had put a perpendicular piece of plastic on the other side of the tab that would have acted as a hard stop and they could have avoided the issue. Batteries seem to be the Achille's heel of DJI. Does anyone remember the ejecting batteries on the Phantom 4? That always resulted in complete aircraft loss.