• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2018 11:17 pm
Tags:
264 replies
Aug 16, 2010
268 posts
105 upvotes
Vancouver
GoPro is an action cam. This isn't. If GoPro dies, it will not be because of this thing.
This will kill their own gimbals.
Nov 17, 2015
111 posts
174 upvotes
Xtyle86 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 6:48 pm
GoPro is an action cam. This isn't. If GoPro dies, it will not be because of this thing.
Agreed, but in a lot of reviews people say this is great for the daily person that like to vlog, their childrens games, do normal tourists stuff.
the gopro is definitely aimed more for the hikers, action sports ect...

That being said... I am getting one lol I want it for my travels and general video purposes.

I don't think it is a "game changer" but a solid slice of a market that isn't what gopro is really used for.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2014
1279 posts
2063 upvotes
Calgary, AB
brrrr it's cold in here
Pro tip - If you can't stop thinking about it ....BUY IT !
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11554 posts
2376 upvotes
Ottawa
Xtyle86 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 6:48 pm
The market for the GoPro and this thing will probably overlap substantially. This thing can act as a point of view camera for a lot of the same stuff that people buy a GoPro for. You can even helmet mount it, and this directly attach to many of the GoPro accessories.

I have a GoPro and I use it a lot but I think this thing might be a better fit for my use cases.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
1391 posts
471 upvotes
Markham
We still haven't seen the video quality of this yet.
I'm after GoPro 7 black but like to have this if the video quality is on par.
-------
Thank you
Dec 13, 2011
44 posts
13 upvotes
Montréal
I don’t get the point of this device. I have a GoPro Hero 7 black for the beach and action shots. For other shooting I will use my iPhone X. DJI has accessories for this thing, but they are bulky, expensive and just additional things to use. If they had made this waterproof it would have had a better revalue proposition.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4212 posts
347 upvotes
Calgary
I can see there's some overlapping use case between a Go Pro and the Pocket, but for outdoor sports enthusiasts the Go Pro is probably a much better suited device. Especially with the built-in lithium battery on the Pocket that limits the service life to about 2yrs then probably requires DJI to service it for a replacement battery.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11554 posts
2376 upvotes
Ottawa
mrdinb wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 8:04 pm
I don’t get the point of this device. I have a GoPro Hero 7 black for the beach and action shots. For other shooting I will use my iPhone X. DJI has accessories for this thing, but they are bulky, expensive and just additional things to use. If they had made this waterproof it would have had a better revalue proposition.
This thing is basically a phone on a gimbal. or a GoPro on a gimbal. So any time you need to get a shot with either of those two things, this is a much more compact alternative. Most other gimbals are not waterproof either. Of course, if you already have a GoPro and actually need the waterproofness or toughness, buying this thing too doesn't make sense

For me, mechanical gimbal is still preferable to get the best tracking shots, cinematic pans, or low follow shots to any built in stabilization, and that's why I use my own GoPro with a gimbal most of the time. Had this thing existed before, I probably would have gone that route.

The thing is tiny, way smaller than a GoPro on a gimbal or phone on a gimbal. You can practically hide it in your palm. I'm considering buying this to completely replace my phone gimbal. I prefer the angle of view of my phone camera (no GoPro fisheye effect) but I really dislike the bulkiness and setup time of my phone gimbal.

the price is ok, but so far the audio is pretty crappy. Maybe I'll sit it out until V.2, but I can already see putting this thing to good use
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
1958 posts
296 upvotes
Calgary
bought mine from omniviewtech.ca works out to be the same price minus the the possibility of duties/taxes. Also bought the accessory kit. This should be a lot more fun to shoot with. I have the osmo 2 although it's good like others mentioned it can be cumbersome to take out the osmo 2 and balance it. It's also quite clunky when i just want to shoot a quick stabilized video.
Jun 24, 2005
453 posts
50 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I can't decide whether to go with the Pocket or go with Insta360 where you can capture yourself in the shots/video.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10322 posts
16455 upvotes
Scarborough
dnyc wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 2:59 am
I have the osmo 2 although it's good like others mentioned it can be cumbersome to take out the osmo 2 and balance it. It's also quite clunky when i just want to shoot a quick stabilized video.
This! I rarely take my phone gimbal out (pretty much just birthdays) because it's so big and cumbersome. A tiny stabilized camera that's always in my pocket would get so much more use. That being said it's a little too expensive at regular price for me but I'd definitely consider this at around $300-350 Canadian.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
18521 posts
5136 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Only $400+ so you can record videos everybody wants to see like your friend rolling around on a unicycle in a park, or your face as you roll down the street.

These products are a symptom of a problem. Everybody thinks other people want to see them doing mundane stuff these days.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

spammy, Kouyo