Wheels and Tires

Do coated alluminum wheels rust in winter?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2019 10:08 pm
[OP]
Mar 25, 2019
19 posts
1 upvote

Do coated alluminum wheels rust in winter?

I'm thinking of purchasing the 'M011' wheels from Mazda which are gunmetal aluminum. The dealership says their fine in winter but I'd like to ask the experts on this forum. This'll be my first winter with my new car, 18 Mazda 3.

How do u think these wheels will fair if I wash my car every 3 weeks and use fallout remover on the wheelse each time? Will they still rust even if I don't scratch them?
Images
  • image012.jpg
12 replies
Dec 4, 2004
724 posts
723 upvotes
GTA
Aluminum does not rust.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5462 posts
2992 upvotes
Toronto
Lug nuts, centre cap retainer ring, rusted rotors and the infamous rust from Mazda body will rub orange stuff to your rims after few years.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29175 posts
14925 upvotes
Toronto
_dc_ wrote: Aluminum does not rust.
... unless it's made in china (which has virtually no quality control) Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13897 posts
8993 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
no rust

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Mar 25, 2019
19 posts
1 upvote
Im new to this so Thanks guys. Ill look into the corrosion aspect
[OP]
Mar 25, 2019
19 posts
1 upvote
Can fallout remover stop corrosion if treated early on?
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11343 posts
3089 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
You should be fine, I'm also running aluminum wheels. The important thing is to keep them clean and protect them so they will last longer.

I Ceramic Coated my wheels for extra protection and will help keep them cleaner. If you don't want to do that then I recommend you wax them when they are new ideally before you put them on the car so that you can coat even the inside of the wheels with wax. I would use this wax as it should last pretty long (around 10 months) https://www.carzilla.ca/collinite-canad ... lecoat-9oz
Images
  • fc04a-fc04a-matte-bronze-_deep_-b.jpg
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7421 posts
764 upvotes
Toronto
I ran aluminum rims with winter tires for 10 years on my last car, no issues. A lower quality finish might corrode but OEM I doubt it. The finish should still be in far better shape than steel rims after 10 years. Will be doing similar for current car. If you are worried about it, wax them or ceramic hybrid coat them regularly. Fallout will remove the wax and probably any ceramic coating though.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1767 posts
822 upvotes
Ontario
Rust is a form of corrosion, its the oxidation of iron or its alloys. Aluminum corrodes too, its the white junk you see on them.
BeaverLiquor wrote: They won't rust but they will eventually corrode.
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5717 posts
3309 upvotes
Toronto
IcarusLSC wrote: Rust is a form of corrosion, its the oxidation of iron or its alloys. Aluminum corrodes too, its the white junk you see on them.
Isn't that what I said? Unless there is iron in the wheels the op posted, they won't rust, but will corrode.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1767 posts
822 upvotes
Ontario
Yea, was just clarifying it. Clear as mud now eh? ;)
·Ï¢årµ§·