Travel

Do fully vaccinated Canadians entering Canada need to isolate until they receive the results of COVID test?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2021 12:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7250 posts
4289 upvotes
Ottawa

Do fully vaccinated Canadians entering Canada need to isolate until they receive the results of COVID test?

It's a bit of a minor technicality but I was wondering if fully vaccinated Canadians entering Canada since July 5th (so eligible to forgo quarantine) need to isolate the first evening / day until they receive a negative result from the COVID test at the airport / border. Government information doesn't seem to mention it but news sources said those eligible to skip quarantine still need to isolate until they receive their negative result.

Let us know if you have first hand experience or any more information. Thanks.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
4384 posts
2974 upvotes
Ottawa
michelb wrote: It's a bit of a minor technicality but I was wondering if fully vaccinated Canadians entering Canada since July 5th (so eligible to forgo quarantine) need to isolate the first evening / day until they receive a negative result from the COVID test at the airport / border. Government information doesn't seem to mention it but news sources said those eligible to skip quarantine still need to isolate until they receive their negative result.

Let us know if you have first hand experience or any more information. Thanks.
You have to isolate but can do it at your final destination until you get the test results. So you can isolate in Ottawa after flying into Toronto for example and changing planes.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1782 posts
2830 upvotes
Canada, eh?
Here's what I got from CBSA...recommended, but not required.
Images
  • IMG_9269.JPG
  • IMG_9270.jpg
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
4939 posts
2451 upvotes
Durham Region
No requirement to isolate while awaiting results of on-arrival test if fully vaccinated
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
4384 posts
2974 upvotes
Ottawa
Further update. You can do a test at the port of entry or you will be given a take home test. You have 24 hours in your final destination to do your test and it is picked up by courier.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7250 posts
4289 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks for the responses
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9994 posts
1929 upvotes
Montreal, QC
fogetmylogin wrote: Further update. You can do a test at the port of entry or you will be given a take home test. You have 24 hours in your final destination to do your test and it is picked up by courier.
Is there a difference in cost or anything? I'm just wondering if the 2 options are just because some people don't want to do it at the airport.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7250 posts
4289 upvotes
Ottawa
uber_shnitz wrote: Is there a difference in cost or anything? I'm just wondering if the 2 options are just because some people don't want to do it at the airport.
I'd be curious to know as well but I suspect you aren't given the choice; CBSA agents probably decide (likely depending on how busy they are).
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1782 posts
2830 upvotes
Canada, eh?
Was there a choice?

I entered last night, no choice given. Automatically got an at home testing kit.

Arrivals Test is free anyways, so there's no cost so to speak. The only cost is your time.
Last edited by secretalcoholic on Jul 8th, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 6, 2010
851 posts
356 upvotes
Brampton
Seems clear as mud.
I would like to know more about this as well. Are we mandated to do a test at the airport or can it be done at home?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9266 posts
376 upvotes
secretalcoholic wrote: Was there a choice?

I entered last night, no choice given. Automatically got an at home testing kit.

Arrivals Test is free anyways, so there's no cost so to speak. The only cost is your time.
Did they question you on how you would quarantine for 2 weeks if the test comes back positive?

Planning to travel by land from the US to Canada (Canadian Citizen, US Permanent Resident) for only a week.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1782 posts
2830 upvotes
Canada, eh?
B0000rt wrote: Did they question you on how you would quarantine for 2 weeks if the test comes back positive?

Planning to travel by land from the US to Canada (Canadian Citizen, US Permanent Resident) for only a week.
Not for me, but I did hear them ask that question to others. Keep in mind I travelled by air so I filled out ArriveCan before arrival, and ArriveCan basically contains the same questions about quarantine plan.
Aug 16, 2010
573 posts
473 upvotes
Sudbury
luking wrote: Seems clear as mud.
I would like to know more about this as well. Are we mandated to do a test at the airport or can it be done at home?
I'd like to know this as well. I'd prefer to do it at airport in order to get results quicker. An at home test will take more time.
May 20, 2006
236 posts
96 upvotes
The government website says a negative test result taken in the USA within the last 3 days is required for entry into Canada. Does anyone know if that negative test can be a result from a test in Canada prior to entering the USA (as long as timelines are met)? There are situations where I may go to the states just for a day so getting tested prior to leaving Canada would likely be the only way for this to happen.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9266 posts
376 upvotes
secretalcoholic wrote: Not for me, but I did hear them ask that question to others. Keep in mind I travelled by air so I filled out ArriveCan before arrival, and ArriveCan basically contains the same questions about quarantine plan.
Ah ok thanks, played around with the app but didn't go as far as answering the questions since travel isn't for another couple of weeks. Travelling by land requires ArriveCan input too it seems.