• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2020 10:49 am
[OP]
Feb 14, 2010
492 posts
427 upvotes
Toronto

Do game codes and membership expire?

I have a few PlayStation Plus memberships from like 5 years ago that I never used. Will they still work?
How about PlayStation game codes that are expired and unused.

Never thought I would ever use these but staying at home without video games is getting boring as hell.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8695 posts
3057 upvotes
You could answer your own question by trying to use them?
Probably expired if the redemption date has passed already.

Why would you even hold onto them that long without ever using them?
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2623 posts
2802 upvotes
GTA
thelastword wrote: I have a few PlayStation Plus memberships from like 5 years ago that I never used. Will they still work?
How about PlayStation game codes that are expired and unused.

Never thought I would ever use these but staying at home without video games is getting boring as hell.
Game and DLC codes past their expiry date have never worked in my experience
c'mon get happy!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27620 posts
7967 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote: You could answer your own question by trying to use them?
Probably expired if the redemption date has passed already.
Might want to sell them or something, though.
XFactor11 wrote: Why would you even hold onto them that long without ever using them?
Probably because 5 years ago was the last time they had a good sale on PS+, lol. I actually still have a 1yr card from PS+ from back then too...only I have no idea where it is (lost it in the house somewhere). I just know I bought two of them and only ever used one, so the other one is...somewhere, lol.

Those should still be good though, unless someone hacked/cracked that particular code along the way and used it while you did not.

The game ones with the actual expiry dates on them, I have no idea, but according to the guy above they don't work past expiry. Those you might as well try out but if what he says is true probably won't work.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
18699 posts
5401 upvotes
Dunno about PS+ but when I bought a bunch of Xbox 360 starter kits a few years back from Superstore they came with Xbox Live cards, all of which worked just fine...
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1395 posts
450 upvotes
It's a case by case basis. For example I bought South Park Fractured But Whole which came with the code for The Stick of Truth which expired last year but the code still worked.
Sep 28, 2017
649 posts
420 upvotes
yeah, it's YMMV on codes. the PS+ codes for subs SHOULD work as they are like gift cards and by law shouldn't expire. at least in canada.... i think the US has a different law that lets it suffer from a "fee" each month after a certain time frame has passed. (from my knowledge a PS+ 1 year card would start to lose months after no redemption about a year later. so depending on when you redeem it after the 2 year mark you could have only a few months instead of a full year on the US ones)

the ones that are full games or DLC ... those are really hit and miss. my guess is it depends on the vendor the game originates from, that dictates if the code will still work. how i tend to see this is if the digital version can be found on the PSN store odds are it will still work. if it can't be found then some agreement must have run out OR it's still on the shop but it has a new agreement that doesn't include the free codes (usually if it's about to go on sale, be offered as the free game of the month, or the vendor has cut redemption due to the agreement about to run out)

but as the one member said.... only way to find out is to just try the code. you always have that option to not click to redeem it. i haven't seen a code that instantly redeems, it usually has that code confirm screen and then you have to click on the "redeem" button to actually redeem it.
no matter where you go, there you are.
[OP]
Feb 14, 2010
492 posts
427 upvotes
Toronto
PlayStation Plus memberships still work; they are so old cant remember when I got them. $49.99
Expired game codes don't work. But Xbox ones all work. Even Xbox 360 codes work from like 10 years ago.