Automotive

Do green plates need to pay sticker fee?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2021 7:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1465 posts
340 upvotes
ORLEANS

Do green plates need to pay sticker fee?

Picked up my electric car with a green plate. But it doesn’t seem like the dealer delivered it with a sticker on the plate. Did the dealer forget to stick it on, or electric cars have no road fee or I need to go mto website to pay to get it sent to me?
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
8368 posts
6402 upvotes
Kitchener
Sounds like they forgot. Essentially the ONLY difference with green plates is HOV/HOT lane access for a single passenger.

I DO like the idea of no sticker fees for green vehicles.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29337 posts
15153 upvotes
Toronto
^ how can the dealer forget ? I mean they take the VIN # to Service Ontario and register the car and present along with all the required informations
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1465 posts
340 upvotes
ORLEANS
Rob_EV wrote: Sounds like they forgot. Essentially the ONLY difference with green plates is HOV/HOT lane access for a single passenger.

But they probably charged me for the fee when they registered the car at MTO? I will need to check my receipt
Feb 28, 2018
156 posts
103 upvotes
Waterloo region
do electric cars have the sticker on the rear plate ?... or like pick ups, its on the front.... check the other end of your car... it might be there
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2020
1174 posts
1069 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Rob_EV wrote: Sounds like they forgot. Essentially the ONLY difference with green plates is HOV/HOT lane access for a single passenger.

Can't wait until EV'S take hold and stickers are prorated to milage driven the previous year to compensate for the lack of gas tax.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
8368 posts
6402 upvotes
Kitchener
KevinM56081 wrote: Can't wait until EV'S take hold and stickers are prorated to milage driven the previous year to compensate for the lack of gas tax.
Sounds like you need to move to a regressive US red state?

I'm nearing 400,000km driven electric since 2014. Just call me an RFD vehicle pro.
Last edited by Rob_EV on Jun 3rd, 2021 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16403 posts
14514 upvotes
Richmond Hill
tralexus1 wrote: do electric cars have the sticker on the rear plate ?... or like pick ups, its on the front.... check the other end of your car... it might be there
Sticker on rear plate. Same as normal plates, just the colour is different and starting with G instead.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16501 posts
18054 upvotes
Oakville
Rob_EV wrote: Sounds like you need to move to a regressive US red state?

I'm nearing 400,000km driven electric since 2014. Just call me an RFD vehicle pro.
Sounds like he's looking forward to 100% EV adoption, in which we will need to tax vehicles based on mileage travelled.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2020
1174 posts
1069 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Rob_EV wrote: Sounds like you need to move to a regressive US red state?

I'm nearing 400,000km driven electric since 2014.
It's a fact. As EV market share increases, the amount of gas tax paid will decrease. I can see a sticker tied to milage driven in future to aide in the maintenance of roads.

Given that you disagree, wondering what you see happening?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
8368 posts
6402 upvotes
Kitchener
KevinM56081 wrote: It's a fact. As EV market share increases, the amount of gas tax paid will decrease. I can see a sticker tied to milage driven in future to aide in the maintenance of roads.

Given that you disagree, wondering what you see happening?
The fairest thing is to tax heavy vehicles more (because 99% of road degradation is actually due to commercial vehicles). Roads are never designed with respect to passenger vehicle traffic (because it's inconsequential).

Also, the $3.3B in annual subsides Canada provides to the oil industry should 100% be eliminated. It's in our best interest to allow fuel prices to rise to European levels.

Take the $3.3B saved per year and invest in road infrastructure.
Last edited by Rob_EV on Jun 3rd, 2021 2:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4461 posts
3730 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Palidino wrote: But they probably charged me for the fee when they registered the car at MTO? I will need to check my receipt
This - dealer should have put the sticker on when they picked up the plate. Call dealer to resolve
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4434 posts
1908 upvotes
I also think you already paid for the sticker, but somehow the dealer did not apply it to the plate...

I am pretty sure Service Ontario would not give them a plate and no sticker...
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16501 posts
18054 upvotes
Oakville
Rob_EV wrote: The fairest thing is to tax heavy vehicles more (because 99% of road degradation is actually due to commercial vehicles). Roads are never designed with respect to passenger vehicle traffic (because it's inconsequential).

Also, the $3.3B in annual subsides Canada provides to the oil industry should 100% be eliminated. It's in our best interest to allow fuel prices to rise to European levels.

Every residential road is designed with passenger vehicles in mind. Of course heavier vehicle should pay more, but passenger should continue to pay some, as people who don't drive should pay the same through their taxes. Heavier vehicles already pay more today, as they tend to use more fuel. I'm sure commercial trucks pay more in registration fees as well.

Agree we shouldn't be subsidizing failing businesses like the oil industry, or buying their unwanted pipelines. That's not related to gas prices though, that's mostly due to higher taxes in the EU.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
1320 posts
661 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Rob_EV wrote: The fairest thing is to tax heavy vehicles more (because 99% of road degradation is actually due to commercial vehicles). Roads are never designed with respect to passenger vehicle traffic (because it's inconsequential).

As long as it doesn’t reduce the $26B in taxes the oil industry have given the government each year. And most of that $3.3B would never actually exist, if “subsidies” were “removed”, so you can’t really invest it elsewhere.

The reality is BEVs are going to get tact sooner or later.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
12063 posts
447 upvotes
tralexus1 wrote: do electric cars have the sticker on the rear plate ?... or like pick ups, its on the front.... check the other end of your car... it might be there
I took delivery of my Model 3 with the sticker on the front plate, but I don't believe that's how it should be. I just renewed my stickers (wonderful having a birthday shortly after purchase) and the included forms say nothing about green vehicles, so I attached the new one to the rear.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2020
1174 posts
1069 upvotes
Clarington, ON
deep wrote: I took delivery of my Model 3 with the sticker on the front plate, but I don't believe that's how it should be. I just renewed my stickers (wonderful having a birthday shortly after purchase) and the included forms say nothing about green vehicles, so I attached the new one to the rear.
Your model 3 isn't commercial. Rear plate.
Images
  • 3FA91DC1-DD3C-458D-8657-19C9889421F2.jpeg
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29119 posts
9626 upvotes
KevinM56081 wrote: Can't wait until EV'S take hold and stickers are prorated to milage driven the previous year to compensate for the lack of gas tax.
Governments will probably also increase taxes on electricity, for good measure. Canada after all. I mean hey if they added that "debt retirement" BS to people's bills, I'm sure extra electricity taxes are not at all beyond reason.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
9735 posts
3236 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
Palidino wrote: Picked up my electric car with a green plate. But it doesn’t seem like the dealer delivered it with a sticker on the plate. Did the dealer forget to stick it on, or electric cars have no road fee or I need to go mto website to pay to get it sent to me?
No difference in stickers from regular cars. Should have a sticker in upper right corner of the rear plate.

Have 3 electric cars.

Check with the dealer to see what happened, I am almost certain you paid for it, so it should be there. Don't believe they can release car to you without one. Probably forgot
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2020
1174 posts
1069 upvotes
Clarington, ON
ES_Revenge wrote: Governments will probably also increase taxes on electricity, for good measure. Canada after all. I mean hey if they added that "debt retirement" BS to people's bills, I'm sure extra electricity taxes are not at all beyond reason.
I cannot refute any of this. All seems logical. Surprised there isn't a "Shove it up you a**" itemized line on ontario hydro bills.