[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7026 posts
6021 upvotes
Ottawa

Do I buy the game for PS3 or PS4?

Hey RFD,

For games that have come out on both systems like LBP3, Sniper Elite 3, Far Cry 4, Dragon Age, etc...
Is there really any reason to buy it for the PS3 instead of the PS4?

Only thing I could think of is hard drive space but I feel like the the games that were made with next gen in mind = the overall experience will be smoother? I'm not sure....what would you factor into your decision?

Cheers!
With Fido Mobile!
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9469 posts
2952 upvotes
Higher native resolution, better framerate, better texture, AA, etc....... Yeah, you should buy it on the PS4
Only reason for PS3 to buy..... maybe cheaper, free online play if you're gonna play online, and maybe if your friends are still on PS3. Other than that, PS4
Banned
Dec 17, 2012
2084 posts
276 upvotes
TORONTO
The experience will be better on PS4, but cheaper on PS3 (along with free online, I just assume everyone is on PS+ though). But there's no denying they were indeed made with next gen in mind.

If you're buying on next gen, do your self a favor and try to use kijiji. I promise you, your wallet will thank you.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2148 posts
826 upvotes
Toronto
If you have both the PS3 and PS4 - then it is a no brainer to pick up these games on the PS4.

If you do not have a PS4 - Little Big Planet 3 and Far Cry 4 still run well on the PS3. Dragon Age: Inquisition on the other hand does not run well on the PS3 and there is a huge difference between the PS3 and PS4 versions.

Also, the PS3 version of the game is not always cheaper. Little Big Planet 3 and Far Cry 4 go on sale for the PS4 more often then they do for the PS3.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
36807 posts
4970 upvotes
Winnipeg
always run on the highest system possible, for multi-plat games i run on pc if available, otherwise ps4 then ps3, stuff on handheld but remastered to ps4 i would choose ps4 over, but that's just me
WTB amazon gc @90%
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
123 posts
58 upvotes
Canada
Go for PS4, once you will buy PS4, you will be satisfied with the gaming otherwise after some time you will again think for PS4
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
10397 posts
4279 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
Ps4 for sure. Once I started gaming on PS4 I sold my PS3. Originally debated on keeping ps3, but ps4 was so much smoother/quicker there really was no point for ps3 for me.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11789 posts
2744 upvotes
Toronto
Said212 wrote: Hey RFD,

For games that have come out on both systems like LBP3, Sniper Elite 3, Far Cry 4, Dragon Age, etc...
Is there really any reason to buy it for the PS3 instead of the PS4?

Only thing I could think of is hard drive space but I feel like the the games that were made with next gen in mind = the overall experience will be smoother? I'm not sure....what would you factor into your decision?

Cheers!
I've said it before, and I will say it again.

I made the decision early last year that if I know that a game is coming out on PS3 AND PS4...I will ONLY buy it for the PS4 (unless the game is like $5 for PS3...then I will just add it to my collection....but that will probably be many months for it to reach that price anyway.)

I am buying PS4 games now on the cheap when I can get them on sale/clearance just to build a library and I don't even have a PS4 yet. I am holding off on buying it for a little longer, and I have a gigantic backlog of unopened/unplayed PS3 games so I am in no rush.

However, you should buy the PS4 versions of the games for better graphics, maybe better speed and maybe because it just runs smoother overall and might have more features than the PS3 version. That's what I recommend you do.
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11789 posts
2744 upvotes
Toronto
CFRTim wrote: Higher native resolution, better framerate, better texture, AA, etc....... Yeah, you should buy it on the PS4
Only reason for PS3 to buy..... maybe cheaper, free online play if you're gonna play online, and maybe if your friends are still on PS3. Other than that, PS4
Yes, that's why I would still buy a PS3 version only when it is very cheap like I said because I love still the idea that PS3 gets FREE online play compared to PS4...even though I am PS+ member for many many years to come...but I didn't like that move by Sony forcing people to pay to play online. It was like a stab in the back for me, because Sony broke their promise from the early PS3 launch days...when they on record said they would never charge people to play online ever. Corporate greed always ticks me off.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11789 posts
2744 upvotes
Toronto
Andro wrote: Ps4 for sure. Once I started gaming on PS4 I sold my PS3. Originally debated on keeping ps3, but ps4 was so much smoother/quicker there really was no point for ps3 for me.
I look at it differently...but then again I am a collector...and never sell my last-gen consoles.

A lot of people who sold their PS3 to get a PS4...actually regret that decision...because there are times when the PS4 got not that many games and good games were still coming out on PS3...or being offered for PS3 for free with PS+ (a lot more games as you notice are free on PS+ for PS3 than PS4)...but they can't even play them because they got rid of their PS3. Also, selling a PS3 to me is not really that profitable (so what if you get $100 or little more for a PS3)...people can even keep it as their main Bluray and Media player...and it IS a better Bluray player than the PS4 currently.

I know people who sold their PS3's and had remorse for the reasons I just mentioned...and went back online and bought used PS3s again for cheap.
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
10397 posts
4279 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
Scorpionsy wrote: I look at it differently...but then again I am a collector...and never sell my last-gen consoles.

A lot of people who sold their PS3 to get a PS4...actually regret that decision...because there are times when the PS4 got not that many games and good games were still coming out on PS3...or being offered for PS3 for free with PS+ (a lot more games as you notice are free on PS+ for PS3 than PS4)...but they can't even play them because they got rid of their PS3. Also, selling a PS3 to me is not really that profitable (so what if you get $100 or little more for a PS3)...people can even keep it as their main Bluray and Media player...and it IS a better Bluray player than the PS4 currently.

I know people who sold their PS3's and had remorse for the reasons I just mentioned...and went back online and bought used PS3s again for cheap.
Zero remorse from me. And I sold mine for over $200 as a package. At this point PS4 games are plenty for me, have a backlog, lol. While I have some physical Blurays, most are being watched through USB stick on my smart TV. PS3 was a great system while it lasted for me, but it's days are long gone in my opinion. Recently picked up PS Vita, enjoying plenty of free games on it that I accumulated with PS plus too. Love it.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11789 posts
2744 upvotes
Toronto
Andro wrote: Zero remorse from me. And I sold mine for over $200 as a package. At this point PS4 games are plenty for me, have a backlog, lol. While I have some physical Blurays, most are being watched through USB stick on my smart TV. PS3 was a great system while it lasted for me, but it's days are long gone in my opinion. Recently picked up PS Vita, enjoying plenty of free games on it that I accumulated with PS plus too. Love it.
I guess you got $200 for it as a package because you sold it with your PS3 games collection, right?

Well, at least you are enjoying your PS4 and the Vita...and don't seem to really need the Bluray since you are watching the movies etc. on your TV's Media Player.
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
10397 posts
4279 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
Scorpionsy wrote: I guess you got $200 for it as a package because you sold it with your PS3 games collection, right?

Well, at least you are enjoying your PS4 and the Vita...and don't seem to really need the Bluray since you are watching the movies etc. on your TV's Media Player.
Yep sold with games, controllers etc. Actually got $250. Mine also was original 60gb with upgraded HD. Haven't even tried watching blurays on PS4 yet, so far used it strictly for gaming. Vita is great, but I guess they will probably discontinue it soon? Physical game selection is brutal, so I mostly resort to digital downloads so far.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
36807 posts
4970 upvotes
Winnipeg
^digital downloads for ps4? don't these bluray takes a lot of disk space?
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
10397 posts
4279 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
divx wrote: ^digital downloads for ps4? don't these bluray takes a lot of disk space?
It was for Vita. But I don't mind downloading for PS4 either. It's not like I download a game everyday. 300gb cap is more than plenty for me.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10580 posts
2451 upvotes
Victoria
divx wrote: ^digital downloads for ps4? don't these bluray takes a lot of disk space?
You can easily upgrade the hard drive in a ps4. Just like the ps3 you can put in most laptop hard drives (as long as their small enough to fit). I put a 2tb in mine. I won't run out of room for a while. As much as crapped on microsoft for not wanting to give people choice, I've really been leaning on digital copies. It reminds me of my modded xbox days.. no need to switch disks....
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9469 posts
2952 upvotes
It's been a very long time since I've used any kind of optical media for games, movies or music. I'm not even sure in what state is optical media at this point. Still popular, or in a big decline. I'm sure it will go the way of the previous physical media formats before it, where it becomes a niche market, sooner or later.