• Mar 7th, 2017 12:47 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 4, 2015
44 posts
14 upvotes

Do I claim this?

Hello,

I received an income tax receipt for a French course that I took in the winter of 2016. It's just a letter stating I took the class and it was paid in full.

How do claim this? Do I use the turbo tax student program, I was planning on doing so because I paid off my loans last year and NSLC also gave me a receipt. The class was $320.

Thank-you
10 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2204 posts
1432 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
AlyssiaP161592 wrote: Hello,

I received an income tax receipt for a French course that I took in the winter of 2016. It's just a letter stating I took the class and it was paid in full.

How do claim this? Do I use the turbo tax student program, I was planning on doing so because I paid off my loans last year and NSLC also gave me a receipt. The class was $320.

Thank-you
Here is the applicable information:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs ... l-eng.html
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
Sep 12, 2012
766 posts
541 upvotes
Toronto
Enter $320 on line 320 on schedule 11 and follow the instructions. Make sure you do the same for your provincial forms as well.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
8943 posts
1881 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
AlyssiaP161592 wrote: Hello,

Thank-you
Did you receive a T2202A? Or just a receipt? You need an actual income tax receipt (T2202A) to show it is eligible.
[OP]
Jun 4, 2015
44 posts
14 upvotes
Hi everyone thanks for the replies

I didn't get a T2202A, just a letter stating that I paid for the course and they are issuing this letter based on section 118.5.(1) (a) of the income tax act.
[OP]
Jun 4, 2015
44 posts
14 upvotes
I only have one letter, I'm not a full time student. I just took the course to improve my French and make myself more employable
Sep 3, 2013
51 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I got two forms from this year as well. The T2202A and the letter. The T2202A has the course fees while the letter has the amount of the Student Registration Fee amount.

I just called them both forms are eligible for tax refunds.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
1771 posts
478 upvotes
Montreal
As you took a French course, the only way it would work is if you use Turbo Tax in French.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3511 posts
1061 upvotes
Edmonton
iamthebest wrote: As you took a French course, the only way it would work is if you use Turbo Tax in French.
No, its only in Turbo Tax (non-French). Why would you take a french course if you are doing everything in French?
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
[OP]
Jun 4, 2015
44 posts
14 upvotes
I called the cra and I don't claim it.

1. It wasn't through a public institution such as a college.

2. The course was less than $500