Careers

Do I get paid for completing Tim Hortons online tutorial?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2017 4:17 pm
[OP]
Aug 24, 2014
264 posts
33 upvotes
North York

Do I get paid for completing Tim Hortons online tutorial?

I started working at Tim Hortons and there's this online tutorial that's hours long.

My boss told me to complete it, but I heard from someone that I get paid more if I complete this tutorial

Is this true? Can someone verify this?
12 replies
May 14, 2013
427 posts
501 upvotes
Edmonton
So your boss told you to complete it. That should be reason enough to complete it. Better yet, see what happens if you don't complete the tutorial as instructed.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12181 posts
4554 upvotes
Toronto
You just start a new job, the tutorial is most likely teach you to how you do your job.
Your boss tell you to complete it, you should just go complete it rather they pay your more or not.

If you failed to do what your buss tell you to do, you risk to lose the job and get let go under your prohibition period.
When you just starting a job, just go do the stuff, you are learning new things in the process. Don't count it as it wasting your time or effort or counting dollars for your wages.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
1324 posts
1106 upvotes
North York
Better hope you're not a millennial or else you're the reason why you make us appear so spoiled and entitled.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2371 posts
724 upvotes
New Brunswick
Are you for real? In the finance sector you have to watch a bunch of videos and answer quizzes when you have the time.
Jun 7, 2017
34 posts
1 upvote
gushingtears wrote: I started working at Tim Hortons and there's this online tutorial that's hours long.

My boss told me to complete it, but I heard from someone that I get paid more if I complete this tutorial

Watch it. What do you have to lose, right? Anyway, it's related to your job so might as well.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1471 posts
461 upvotes
Since it is job specific training and ordered by the company (your boss) then they have to pay you for your time. Here is a link to the relevant page on the Ontario Ministry of Labour site.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3218 posts
1258 upvotes
Ottawa
Your thread title and the body seem to be asking 2 different questions.

Are you asking if the time time spent on the tutorial is during paid work hours (even if you're doing it at home)?

Or are you asking if there is a bonus wage increase (ex: +$0.25/hour) if you complete the training?

You will still need to do it regardless, since your boss is requiring you to do it to complete your work.
Jul 24, 2015
237 posts
153 upvotes
Clacker wrote: Since it is job specific training and ordered by the company (your boss) then they have to pay you for your time. Here is a link to the relevant page on the Ontario Ministry of Labour site.
This here is why millennials don't have jobs.
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
gushingtears wrote: I started working at Tim Hortons and there's this online tutorial that's hours long.

hours ? how many (2 or 10) ?
what is the link ?
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10464 posts
3095 upvotes
it would pretty lame if a company made you do a training session and didnt pay you for that time.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2140 posts
1008 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I have online training modules all the time I have to do on my spare time that are not paid.

Do I complain? To myself I do but not to the managers.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1471 posts
461 upvotes
PeterWIlliams wrote: This here is why millennials don't have jobs.
I'm a Gen X myself, but are you actually stating that millennials shouldn't have jobs because they expect an employer to follow the law??