Personal Finance

Do I HAVE to activate the Simplii Debit Card?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2018 8:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1480 posts
340 upvotes

Do I HAVE to activate the Simplii Debit Card?

These new simplii debit cards they're sending out have expiration dates, while the old PCF ones don't. Anyone know if I can just ignore the Simplii card and just keep on using the PCF one forever?
17 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1855 posts
612 upvotes
Kitchener
PCF cards will stop working in April, based on what Simplii rep said to me on the phone
Jul 9, 2016
664 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
I never really understood the thought process behind being against expiry dates on debit cards. They are usually for several years into the future and you have to do nothing on your part to get a new one when they come up for renewal.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18592 posts
3209 upvotes
GTA West
SuperSauvage wrote:
Jan 28th, 2018 8:21 pm
I never really understood the thought process behind being against expiry dates on debit cards. They are usually for several years into the future and you have to do nothing on your part to get a new one when they come up for renewal.
I suspect this is an (illogical) thought process that comes from Ontario Health Cards.
Some people are afraid to get the new Green health cards because they have an expiry, and the government might start charging for renewal sometime in the future.
So people try to stick to their non-expiring Red and White Health Cards forever.
And then people get the idea that they don't want to give up any non-expiring card for an expiring one.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Banned
Jan 22, 2018
25 posts
13 upvotes
SuperSauvage wrote:
Maybe for some technicality or legal reason they have to do that.

Even the transit Presto Card for some reason has an expiry date on it but now Presto themselves are saying - " PRESTO cards no longer expire, even if there is an expiry date shown on the card (you may continue to use your card even after any indicated expiry date) " - LOL
Banned
Jan 22, 2018
25 posts
13 upvotes
I just have a Savings Account - HISA - no checking account with Simplii . They have still mailed me the card & PIN.

I will never use this card, so do I still have to activate it ?
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4109 posts
770 upvotes
Wat
I have the same question.. never used my PC financial debit card, and likely will never use the SImplii card.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
2837 posts
595 upvotes
Toronto
The worst part is the only way it says to activate the card is to make a purchase. I haven't used a debit card to buy anything in the last 10-15 years.

I did call in, and the rep said as long as you use it at a CIBC ATM to put money in or out the card will be activated.
Feb 24, 2017
55 posts
16 upvotes
Super_Chicken wrote:
Jan 29th, 2018 8:20 am
The worst part is the only way it says to activate the card is to make a purchase. I haven't used a debit card to buy anything in the last 10-15 years.

I did call in, and the rep said as long as you use it at a CIBC ATM to put money in or out the card will be activated.
You have to actually put money in or out? I just checked the balance. But don't know if that's enough now...
Jul 28, 2012
950 posts
337 upvotes
Montreal
Shadow Rider wrote:
Jan 28th, 2018 5:52 pm
These new simplii debit cards they're sending out have expiration dates, while the old PCF ones don't. Anyone know if I can just ignore the Simplii card and just keep on using the PCF one forever?
I'm practically certain all debit cards have expiry dates -- even when they are not on the front. For example, I remember using my RBC client card in 2003 for a debit purchase, well before chip and pin, Flash Interac and receipts that displayed only part of the card number. The card's expiry date per the receipt was in... 2023.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2758 upvotes
Whenever you receive a new card with new terms and conditions, they need you to use the card to indicate that you agree with the new terms. They automatically invalidate the old card after a short time to force you to either agree or quit using the card.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2003
5438 posts
224 upvotes
Mississauga
wadesj wrote:
Jan 29th, 2018 8:32 am
You have to actually put money in or out? I just checked the balance. But don't know if that's enough now...
I did that as well. I would assume it's enough?

I keep some money in my Simplii account for emergency withdraw if I'm nowhere an ATM for my main FI.
Jul 12, 2015
118 posts
16 upvotes
TO
Used the Simplii debit card back in December, forgot about it and tried using my PCF debit card a few times the other day, kept getting declined. So I'm guessing once you use the new one, the old one stops working.
Feb 17, 2017
850 posts
530 upvotes
Calgary
SuperSauvage wrote:
I'm not sure if Simplii cards support Plus (for atm withdrawals outside of Canada) but they now require expiry dates on newly issued cards, so the bank doesn't really have a choice.
Apr 3, 2015
68 posts
11 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
It might actually be a good thing that they now come with expiry dates. I remember emailing android pay a while back to see if they will be supporting PCF anytime in the future. They told me it was unlikely since the cards do not have an expiry date... but it might have been an uninformed rep