Automotive

Do i have enough time to obtain a G licence ?

• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2015 12:04 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 3, 2015
3 posts

Do i have enough time to obtain a G licence ?

I got my G1 licence back in DEC 2012, I was wondering if I have enough time to obtain the full licence before its expiry date on DEC 2017. And what are some task in the G1 road test (ontario) that I need to watch out on. Is there an easy pass location?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2896 posts
223 upvotes
Burlington
Yes.

If you've had it since 2012 you can just go take the g2 test tomorrow. Then you have to wait a year for the full G test. Lots of time. I know you can also requests an extension sometimes but its only in special cases.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
1572 posts
102 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
Stupid Ontario. Every other province uses numbers for their driver licences. Only Ontario uses letters.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
154 upvotes
Wood Bridge
if your g2 exit test (often mistakenly called G test) is booked past your expiry date, you will be given an extention of your licence but the only condition is you pass the G2 exit test on that day, if failed, you start from ZERO (0) that means u gotta go back to the mto and book your G1 test
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2014
1251 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Don't wait any longer, go and book your tests soon as you can. Don't wait until last min and give yourself some room. So if you fail you still have time to do it again before it expires.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
20629 posts
4356 upvotes
Toronto
gelato69 wrote: Stupid Ontario. Every other province uses numbers for their driver licences. Only Ontario uses letters.
The letter is to indicate the class of license. G1, G2, and G are general, whereas your M1, M2, and M would be a motorcycle license, B is a school bus license, etc
Stronzo1 wrote: if your g2 exit test (often mistakenly called G test) is booked past your expiry date, you will be given an extention of your licence but the only condition is you pass the G2 exit test on that day, if failed, you start from ZERO (0) that means u gotta go back to the mto and book your G1 test
This sort of happened to me. I got my G2 and went to university, where I didn't drive. It expired and I didn't notice until I was trying to get into a bar one day, so I had to go take the whole thing over again. Still passed every test on the first try, but my insurance was higher than it should have been for a while since I was a 'new driver'.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2194 posts
728 upvotes
Etobicoke
Quit making angry faces for nothing.
Who's fault that you waited from 2012 to get your G2???
After you get your G2 than you wait 12 more months (8 months if you go through an instructor).
5 years is more than enough to get full G.
[OP]
May 3, 2015
3 posts
durrsak wrote: Quit making angry faces for nothing.
Who's fault that you waited from 2012 to get your G2???
After you get your G2 than you wait 12 more months (8 months if you go through an instructor).
5 years is more than enough to get full G.
0.0...Chill man, im just angry at myself.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2549 posts
718 upvotes
Toronto, ON
simbee wrote: I got my G1 licence back in DEC 2012, I was wondering if I have enough time to obtain the full licence before its expiry date on DEC 2017. And what are some task in the G1 road test (ontario) that I need to watch out on. Is there an easy pass location?
Plenty of time; in the worst case scenario if you get your G2 less than one year before the 5 year expiry, then you can go to a service ontario centre and they will give you another 5 years. Happened to me, got my G1 before university and then G2 more than 4 years later.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
154 upvotes
Wood Bridge
Piro21 wrote: The letter is to indicate the class of license. G1, G2, and G are general, whereas your M1, M2, and M would be a motorcycle license, B is a school bus license, etc

This sort of happened to me. I got my G2 and went to university, where I didn't drive. It expired and I didn't notice until I was trying to get into a bar one day, so I had to go take the whole thing over again. Still passed every test on the first try, but my insurance was higher than it should have been for a while since I was a 'new driver'.
why would u have trouble trying to get into a bar with your licence expired? the bar just needs proof of your age, not your driving privledges? as far as Im a ware, an expired licence card is still considered valid photo ID only, infact they gave me a little sticker to put on mine that said valid photo id only, they said I can use it in a bar.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
20629 posts
4356 upvotes
Toronto
Stronzo1 wrote: why would u have trouble trying to get into a bar with your licence expired? the bar just needs proof of your age, not your driving privledges? as far as Im a ware, an expired licence card is still considered valid photo ID only, infact they gave me a little sticker to put on mine that said valid photo id only, they said I can use it in a bar.
Overeager bouncer maybe? I don't know. It was 10 years ago.