Automotive

Do I have the right to pull out of this deal?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2016 9:16 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 29, 2009
622 posts
305 upvotes

Do I have the right to pull out of this deal?

I have signed an agreement to purchase a new GTI. The agreement has a "Total KMs" specified as "90 (anticipated)" and the understanding at the time was that I would be receiving a vehicle that was coming in by train from the manufacturer. For whatever reason they could not secure that vehicle and brought in a different one with the same spec. Unfortunately this one has 400+ km on it. I was not informed of this, and only happened to learn when I stopped by on other business and happened to take a look.

Note it was not 400km of driving from one dealership to theirs (was trucked in). It was 400km of who knows what kind of treatment. I've talked with them and they say that they can't take any more money off the vehicle for me since my deal is already very close to invoice and they had to pay to have it trucked in. The salesman is doing his best and has made some minor offers (e.g. accessories) as a gesture, but I haven't decided for sure whether I want this car or not.

I know this is not a huge deal, and I feel guilty quibbling over such a first world problem, but this is a big purchase for me (first new car ever). I have a $1000 deposit down already and I'm wondering if I have the right to pull out of the deal and get my deposit back. I'm not 100% sure I want to, but I'd like to know what my options are.
228 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21190 posts
10651 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I'd pull out if I were you as well.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9016 posts
10312 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Don't be too quick to pull out of the deal...if you want the car you have to assess

1) how long to get another one? What are wait times for GTI? Will this inconvenience you further?
2) value of additional 300km...say 40c per km so a value of $120? If you can above that it terms of accessories or free oil changes you are coming out ahead. Don't be sitting there thinking you will get $500, $1000.
3) if they have other immediate demand for the vehicle and you think you got a good price, they may be able to sell to someone else higher.

So take a deep breath then decide.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6679 posts
6576 upvotes
Richmond Hill
400... I wonder how many test drives that equates to
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Apr 25, 2016
144 posts
53 upvotes
Ontario
You have the right to pull out of the deals since you agreed to purchase a GTI that has ~90 km; although the dealership will try to convince you to accept a different car that has more km.
Were you given a V.I.N. for the first car?
[OP]
Oct 29, 2009
622 posts
305 upvotes
Honda30 wrote: You have the right to pull out of the deals since you agreed to purchase a GTI that has ~90 km; although the dealership will try to convince you to accept a different car that has more km.
Were you given a V.I.N. for the first car?
No VIN when first negotiated (but the stated 90 KM limit was the same). However in subsequent dealing with the finance manager I do have a similar signed quote with the proper VIN and with "90km anticipated" stated. To be fair, I think the dealership was as surprised as I was that the vehicle had 400km on it. I don't think there was intention to deceive.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5644 posts
1411 upvotes
remember the warranty begins at 400 too.

so if it normally would end at 60000...it will now end at 60400.

i'd ask for 2-3 oil changes if you want a GTI.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2009
622 posts
305 upvotes
cartfan123 wrote: Don't be too quick to pull out of the deal...if you want the car you have to assess

1) how long to get another one? What are wait times for GTI? Will this inconvenience you further?
2) value of additional 300km...say 40c per km so a value of $120? If you can above that it terms of accessories or free oil changes you are coming out ahead. Don't be sitting there thinking you will get $500, $1000.
3) if they have other immediate demand for the vehicle and you think you got a good price, they may be able to sell to someone else higher.

So take a deep breath then decide.
Agreed. Good advice. I think 3) is true, although it is late in the 2016 season so they may have to start discounting 2016s heavily soon. I am not flying off the handle with them, and I am still leaning towards following through. But I still have some lingering doubt.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9016 posts
10312 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
McGuillicuddy wrote: Agreed. Good advice. I think 3) is true, although it is late in the 2016 season so they may have to start discounting 2016s heavily soon. I am not flying off the handle with them, and I am still leaning towards following through. But I still have some lingering doubt.
Cool. I'd just say to them here's what it would take to 'make it right.' If you got say a $200 voucher or so, it should be reasonable. But you are within your right to pull out if you feel slighted. You get your deposit back and start from scratch.

I had Rona screw up a roofing order last week....but then in return I got them to move full skids of bricks with their forklift when I was stuck. Ended up working out but needed some patience.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2009
622 posts
305 upvotes
aeba7 wrote: 400... I wonder how many test drives that equates to
I suspect the car was driven between dealerships before it got to mine.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4218 posts
3142 upvotes
Markham
I'd probably be ok if they discount by about $200 if this was a regular Golf but on a GTI, I'd back out tbh.

Whoever drove this car is almost certain would have pushed the beast hard. Those first 500 km are extremely important for a proper break in of all the internal parts, even in a modern engine but especially because it's a turbo with extra seals etc. and pressure.

If you're just gonna keep it for 4-5 Years I wouldn't worry too much but longer term I'd want a properly broken in car.
Apr 25, 2016
144 posts
53 upvotes
Ontario
Most manufacturers recommend not to: drive the vehicle more than 80 km/h, accelerate past 3500 rpm, hard braking, and etc. during the break-in period which is usually the first 1000 km.
Considering the car has been driven for 40% of the break-in period, I'd be a little concerned if you plan on keeping the GTI after the warranty expires.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
428 upvotes
Concord, ON
aeba7 wrote: 400... I wonder how many test drives that equates to
Warranty starts from possession anyways so not a big deal and it's a VW..it'll crap out around 5 year mark regardless of what mileage it had for first 400km

Hope OP was smart and it's just a lease in which case it's totally inconsequential and be happy he can squeeze a couple of oil changes out of it
[OP]
Oct 29, 2009
622 posts
305 upvotes
It's not a lease. If it were a lease I wouldn't care. Although I'm not sure what bearing that has on my intelligence.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18653 posts
2375 upvotes
Woodbridge
Of course you can but it really depends how anal you are and are you patient enough to wait it out.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
[OP]
Oct 29, 2009
622 posts
305 upvotes
Pretty anal. And pretty patient. I don't desperately need this car right now.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10378 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
McGuillicuddy wrote: Pretty anal. And pretty patient. I don't desperately need this car right now.
Pull out of the deal then.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2009
622 posts
305 upvotes
I'm wondering how much fight to expect around the deposit.