Automotive

Do I have the right to pull out of this deal?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2016 9:16 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1172 posts
1626 upvotes
90.00° N, 135.00° W
That is why OP is here asking for help...he accepted the 90km and just play dumb thats its only 9km...then dealership is giving him a brand new car with 400kms plus on it...
DBDphotography wrote: Wait a minute, why is even 90km acceptable?

All of the cars ive purchased or my friends have purchased brand new had
Between 0-5km.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6630 posts
964 upvotes
400km is a lot.

Lots of driving hours.
You don't know how it was driven.

Could be a demo or used for test drives worst case.

Best case a really carefull guy drove it super careful as if it were his own...sure...

Id be on the fence too. Buying a car like this I'm sure you don't care about a few hundred dollars,its the condition of the car.
Originally Posted by uruha:
I saw a customer returning a book at Costco + telling the employee that the book was good.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
ottofly wrote: The 400km is nothing compared to what you'll do to the car once it drives through 3 months of snow, rocks and a daily salt bath in the winter. 400km is also meaningless because it's a GTI, you are guranteed....

DSG problems....
Turbo problems....
Carbon deposits problem...
electrical problems.

and don't forget how VAG treats their customers like cattle.

Enjoy your new car OP.
Sure, but that's part of the reason ppl pay massive premiums for new, so they can ruin the cars themselves! Anyway, it's not really new if it's 420kms. He might as well consider used then, it's no man's land where that odo reads as it stands, definitely not new but not really used.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
CuriousJack wrote: That is why OP is here asking for help...he accepted the 90km and just play dumb thats its only 9km...then dealership is giving him a brand new car with 400kms plus on it...
What? LOL.
Nov 20, 2008
818 posts
386 upvotes
90KM is the limit for a dealer to sell a vehicle as 'new'.
Penalty Box
Aug 16, 2014
1043 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cyberspyder wrote: 90KM is the limit for a dealer to sell a vehicle as 'new'.
From my friends and i have always had between 0-5km on new cars.

Unless they can document those extra km like eg. Driving from storage or another dealer.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
DBDphotography wrote: Wait a minute, why is even 90km acceptable?

All of the cars ive purchased or my friends have purchased brand new had
Between 0-5km.
lool sure. I've bought 7 new cars in my life and the least mileage one ever had was 5. Your '0' is bs, the car is driven for testing purposes, is driven to be parked in the plant lot, is driven to be trucked, on a train or on a boat, it is unloaded and driven at the port lot or the trains yards and then moved around a dealer lot several times
Wrong. There is no real limit to mileage, a car is considered new if it'ts being sold for the first time. If a car had to be driven from dealer to dealer to dealer and has 1000km on it and is being sold for the first time, it's a new car. Gotta love RFD, where 22 year olds with zero life experience dispense advice as if they're experts.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
4409 posts
819 upvotes
it's 2016, do ppl still follow the BS break in procedure? just dont go red line it like retard, the car will be ok
Apr 25, 2016
152 posts
69 upvotes
Ontario
McGuillicuddy wrote: No. Basically if I pull out then I'm done with the car-buying process for a while. It's been exhausting and I don't want to start over. So I need to make sure I want out. Will decide in the morning. Many good reasons to pull out for sure, not the least of which is that this should be an unreservedly awesome time for me (new GTI!) and it's turned out to be a pain in the ass.
OP, I know how exhausting it is and it's a good thing you have patience. When you request to get your $1000 back, they may try to sweeten the deal. My advice would be from now on, just have a written agreement of whatever they offer and take your time to decide.
If they're desperate, once you leave (of course with your deposit) they'll try to find a new vehicle that has <10 km & contact you ASAP because they'd rather you give them a sale instead of another dealer.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41795 posts
30053 upvotes
Center of Universe
I suggest you walk.
What else are they hiding if they can't explain the 400km that was put on the car?
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
421 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote: This... Those are crucial break-in kms. You can be sure ppl pushed it hard, no proper warm-up, added chance of damage, etc etc etc. 400kms is a LOT, ppl telling you 'meh no biggie' probably cuz it's not their purchase/prb if anything happens down the rd. I'd pass even if they give me freebies.
The average test drive for a new car is 2 kilometers... so OP's new car has been test-driven 100 times LOL.
Nov 20, 2008
818 posts
386 upvotes
ottofly wrote: lool sure. I've bought 7 new cars in my life and the least mileage one ever had was 5. Your '0' is bs, the car is driven for testing purposes, is driven to be parked in the plant lot, is driven to be trucked, on a train or on a boat, it is unloaded and driven at the port lot or the trains yards and then moved around a dealer lot several times

Wrong. There is no real limit to mileage, a car is considered new if it'ts being sold for the first time. If a car had to be driven from dealer to dealer to dealer and has 1000km on it and is being sold for the first time, it's a new car. Gotta love RFD, where 22 year olds with zero life experience dispense advice as if they're experts.
So wait, what you're saying is that you'd treat a 1000km car as new? Also, the 90km limit has been enforced in many VW and BMW dealers - quite obviously if the car has been sold before, the dealer cannot list the car as new, but this isn't something that is readily apparent at first glance,. It is far easier for people to accept low mileage = new car.

And I'm sorry, but what makes you an expert on this subject matter, just for posterity's sake?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19790 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
Gammatron wrote: The average test drive for a new car is 2 kilometers... so OP's new car has been test-driven 100 times LOL.
Seriously, 2KM?

If a dealership told me where to go or worst how to drive it, I don't even bother. All my test drives are at least 10KM.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4226 posts
3152 upvotes
Markham
mingyang wrote: it's 2016, do ppl still follow the BS break in procedure? just dont go red line it like retard, the car will be ok
GTI isn't the same as your beloved beige 2016 Corolla.

There is a reason VW recommends a break in period in the owner's manual.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4226 posts
3152 upvotes
Markham
cyberspyder wrote: So wait, what you're saying is that you'd treat a 1000km car as new? Also, the 90km limit has been enforced in many VW and BMW dealers - quite obviously if the car has been sold before, the dealer cannot list the car as new, but this isn't something that is readily apparent at first glance,. It is far easier for people to accept low mileage = new car.

And I'm sorry, but what makes you an expert on this subject matter, just for posterity's sake?
He is right in that as long as the car has not been registered AND most importantly warranty not started, it is considered technically "new".

There is no such thing as a 90 km limit rule that's why in bill of sale it says 'anticipated', the actual mileage is recorded on the PDI slip. The limit is basically whatever customer accepts as long as the two points above are satisfied.

You really think if the odo reads 91 for whatever variety of reasons and the warranty hasn't been put through yet and car not registered, Audi or BMW sell the car as used?
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
I don't think ppl here really think that >90kms=old and <=90kms=new, just that that is the industry std practice to provide some assurance for new car customers.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9925 posts
7088 upvotes
Mississauga
bembol wrote: If a dealership told me where to go or worst how to drive it, I don't even bother. All my test drives are at least 10KM.
Then in this case that's up to 40 test drives that has put the car through goodness knows what.

OP negotiated a new vehicle with 90 km or less on the odo. What was delivered didn't meet that criterion. I would walk away. What other crap will this dealer try to pull in the future?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21738 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
It's your perogative. It's up to you....but really...is it THAT big of a deal? The next car you get could have 130KMs on it. At the end of the day, is there that big of a difference? But who cares about the dealer, if you're not happy and they didn't hold up their end of the bargain then bounce.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5853 posts
1695 upvotes
this isn't true at all.

secondly cars are only 'demos' because they've been put into service and their warranty clock is ticking.

it's not in this case - it's a brand new car and the warranty will be extended to include the 400 in.