Computers & Electronics

Do I need to call Rogers to release my cable box if I want to sell it?

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2015 3:21 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10472 posts
790 upvotes
Toronto

Do I need to call Rogers to release my cable box if I want to sell it?

We recently renewed my cable service with Rogers and we got a new cable box. I was wondering if I need to call Rogers to release my old cable box if I want to sell it or was it automatically released when I got the new one? Thanks.
9 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1484 upvotes
Pickering
Call. Either you have to name who is assuming the ownership or maybe just to release. If you never call, that box will not work for whomever you sell it to.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21252 posts
7661 upvotes
Toronto
AudiDude speaks the truth
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4135 upvotes
Ottawa
Yes release it. Oh and never buy a box at an estate sale owned by a deceased person.

Disclaimer: i am the proud owner of 2 completely useless almost new boxes.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15094 posts
2697 upvotes
Cas77 wrote: Yes release it. Oh and never buy a box at an estate sale owned by a deceased person.

Perfect bookends.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8757 posts
2390 upvotes
Cas77 wrote: Yes release it. Oh and never buy a box at an estate sale owned by a deceased person.

Interesting.

I found a digital box in the garbage room in my condo. The first time I called, they couldn't activate it because the "cancelled" account still has it listed. Thought it was dead in the water. A second call to rogers for something unrelated, I brought it up again, and they processed it without any issue. Maybe try calling again?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21252 posts
7661 upvotes
Toronto
You got lucky. They're not supposed to re-activate the units without authorization of the previous account holder.

Protects against stolen boxes etc.

That's why you should never buy from the dead. ;)
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14353 posts
3594 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Cas77 wrote: Yes release it. Oh and never buy a box at an estate sale owned by a deceased person. Disclaimer: i am the proud owner of 2 completely useless almost new boxes.
I wonder if those could be registered on Shaw.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4135 upvotes
Ottawa
rabbit wrote: I wonder if those could be registered on Shaw.
They're 2 pvrs...i can pm you the serial number tomorrow if you want to call in and check. If you can activate they're yours if you cover shipping.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14353 posts
3594 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Wow, thanks for the offer, but I don't need anymore boxes. My friend gave me two of his PVRs when he upgraded to the networked boxes.