Shopping Discussion

Do I need to go back in time to accept this shipment?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2020 3:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2003
1440 posts
196 upvotes

Do I need to go back in time to accept this shipment?

WTF?

10 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15001 posts
12116 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Nope

Just shows there is a backlog of mail @ Canada a Post because of the Holiday Season

I had a similar situation just prior to Christmas

Parcel said expected Delivery = December 20th (a Friday)
Actually did not show up until = December 23rd (Monday)

Despite the fact that during the Holidays ... Canada Post delivers 7 Days a week

The status remained stuck at IN TRANSIT
Which it was ... making its way across the Country much like your is

The reality is ... the system makes a notation of EXPECTED DELIVERY DATE
Based on averages / optimal delivery times year round
From Postal Code # 1 to your location @ Postal Code # 2
See Canada Post Website & Definitions for info = https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manu ... sp#2026891

System doesn’t really account for stuff like Stat Holidays (just Business Days)
Or the log jam that happens from Mid November onwards
(Black Friday thru to it being clear out after the Holiday around Mid January)

It is what it is
Not much any of us can do about it

Want something faster ... pay the extra for a Courier Delivery
Dec 18, 2017
925 posts
525 upvotes
London, On
PointsHubby wrote: Nope

Just shows there is a backlog of mail @ Canada a Post because of the Holiday Season

I had a similar situation just prior to Christmas

Parcel said expected Delivery = December 20th (a Friday)
Actually did not show up until = December 23rd (Monday)

Despite the fact that during the Holidays ... Canada Post delivers 7 Days a week

The status remained stuck at IN TRANSIT
Which it was ... making its way across the Country much like your is

The reality is ... the system makes a notation of EXPECTED DELIVERY DATE
Based on averages / optimal delivery times year round
From Postal Code # 1 to your location @ Postal Code # 2
See Canada Post Website & Definitions for info = https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manu ... sp#2026891

System doesn’t really account for stuff like Stat Holidays (just Business Days)
Or the log jam that happens from Mid November onwards
(Black Friday thru to it being clear out after the Holiday around Mid January)

It is what it is
Not much any of us can do about it

Want something faster ... pay the extra for a Courier Delivery
Well, sure, but it looks like they shipped it on the 3rd and it gives an expected delivery date 3 days prior. Reminds me of the Saturday Night Live skit several years ago for "Einstein Express. When it absolutely positively has to be there the day before yesterday".
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2007
2578 posts
1032 upvotes
Ottawa
djeffery wrote: Well, sure, but it looks like they shipped it on the 3rd and it gives an expected delivery date 3 days prior. Reminds me of the Saturday Night Live skit several years ago for "Einstein Express. When it absolutely positively has to be there the day before yesterday".
Your was better than mine, my package was 10 days late, I had an Xpresspost package with an expected delivery date on Dec. 24th, they just delivered it to me on Friday, Jan. 3rd, I also have another package with an expected delivery date on Dec. 31st, and still waiting...
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15001 posts
12116 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
djeffery wrote: Well, sure, but it looks like they shipped it on the 3rd and it gives an expected delivery date 3 days prior. Reminds me of the Saturday Night Live skit several years ago for "Einstein Express. When it absolutely positively has to be there the day before yesterday".
I don’t think the OP has given the full history of this pkg

From what I read
It originated in St Hubert Quebec ... Date unlisted *
Then it made its way to Winnipeg by January 3rd
Doesn’t seem it’s left the Winnipeg Canada Post facility (be that Airport / Sorting etc)
Or else it would say It’s OUT FOR DELIVERY
Vs IN TRANSIT
The latter could actually mean its still enroute to the Customer
Supposing they don’t actually live in Winnipeg
But some other Town ... and Winnipeg was merely the receiving hub

* This would also explain the first graphic
The ESTIMATED STANDARD DELIVERY TIME
From Postal Code # 1 to Postal Code # 2
That I previously spoke of in Reply # 2
And the link to Canada Post’s Website explaining the term EXPECTED DELIVERY DATE

Quebec is in Canada Post’s Central Region
Manitoba is in their Western Region

Quebec to Manitoba therefore in a Regional Delivery
With an estimate of 3 to 6 Biz Days depending on the class of mailed item

If it was expected to be delivered on December 31st
It may very well left St Hubert between December 20th & 27th
And still fit those 3 to 6 Biz Days ... as Canada Post would not count the weekends or Stats into their Standard Estimate

Fact that it still hasn’t arrived
Speaks directly to Holiday Volume issues
And WHY Canada Post is continuing to work 24/7 to clear the back log
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
1960 posts
1399 upvotes
I think they are just very behind, but I also think they’re looking for excuses. I ordered something from PrimeCables and they dispatched it the next day (shipped Dec. 27). Since I live in GVA and they always dispatch from Richmond, BC for me, Expedited Parcels meant next day delivery.

Instead of accepting the fact my parcel was late, they scanned it as “ Item redirected to recipient's new address”.
Led me to calling Canada Post (PrimeCables wouldn’t pick up, guess you get what you pay for..) and they said it might have because it didn’t get put on a delivery truck for the day (but... they deliver all my small parcels with the same mailman that comes to deliver my mail...).
They just messed up but refused to admit it even when I mentioned that the delivery guarantee was for today (I phoned on Dec. 30. Dec. 27 is a Friday so next business day delivery is Dec. 30, the Monday).

Canada Post is just overloaded. They should start paying them OT for Saturday deliveries, just to get some of that backlog out..

I’m expecting two deliveries still, one from Canada Post (delivery guarantee is Monday, shipped Friday from Prime Cable’s Richmond warehouse... took them long enough..) and one from UPS (last scan was Origin Scan and was in Concord, ON and that was a week ago. Service is UPS Standard) for Tuesday. Interested to find out if they’ll arrive on time or pass all their delivery guarantees without care..
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4549 posts
5443 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I've had a package show as "processed" in my city with expected delivery on that day, only to then appear at the other side of the country and coming back for delivery over a week later. That's Canada Post for ya.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4549 posts
5443 upvotes
Toronto, ON
IEpicDestroyer wrote:
Canada Post is just overloaded. They should start paying them OT for Saturday deliveries, just to get some of that backlog out..
Are you kidding me? That'll just tell them to slow down their service so they get OT for the entire year.

Are you a postal worker?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15001 posts
12116 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
er34er34 wrote: Are you kidding me? That'll just tell them to slow down their service so they get OT for the entire year.

Are you a postal worker?
Clearly @IEpicDestroyer doesn’t work for the Post Office
Or else he’d know they are still on holiday hours with at least some Evening & Weekend Deliveries STILL HAPPENING *
As they continue to work thru the holiday backlog ... especially in Parcel Delivery
I don’t work for Canada Post either
But know some recent years they’ve been clearing out backlog until about Mid January

* Another RFDer reporting they got a weekend delivery this past weekend

At Canada Post it’s all about volume
Not slowdowns
Shows how little you know about our Postal Service :rolleyes:

Online Shopping increases every year at UNPREDICTABLE LEVELS
That’s the problem
Think of a mall with a 100 stores and all the trucks that deliver goods there
Now think of a large portion of that volume of goods no longer moving out of the stores by the 1000s of Customers Cars
But being bought online ... and delivered by Couriers & The Post
That’s the issue
People OPT for Canada Post vs Courier Delivery cuz it’s cheaper
And every year online shopping grows ... at exponential rates that can not be accurately estimated / planned for
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
1960 posts
1399 upvotes
er34er34 wrote: Are you kidding me? That'll just tell them to slow down their service so they get OT for the entire year.

Are you a postal worker?
No I don’t work for them and **** them then. No wonder their service is shit.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3608 posts
3699 upvotes
Vancouver
I appreciate that Canada Post is overloaded at Christmas, and most of the time they do a good job, but this is my experience with an Amazon shipment ordered just before Christmas:

1. Delivery date promised: Dec 31. No item received by Dec. 31.

2. Online tracking shows item delivered to front door Dec. 30 at 4pm. Ring doorbell camera says nuh-uh. no such delivery happened. Probably delivered to the wrong address?

3. Canada Post takes a report "item not delivered" online, very very slowly with lots of "site not responding" due to the workload, says they'll look into it.

4. Amazon apologizes and promptly ships another one, received Jan 4 on schedule.

5. January 7 I get two Canada Post pickup cards in the mail simultaneously, one saying my item is available for pickup, the second a Final Notice saying my item is about to be returned to sender.

6. Online it repeats that the item was left at my door Dec. 30, and then says that the first pickup card was delivered Dec. 31, and the 2nd Jan 3.